1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Experience With Desi's!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ThirumathiJ, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Please go ahead and list them emergencies in a new thread - day after tomorrow. That would be fun. We can collect the ways we had forethought what could possibly happen, and how we have plans for our neighbors to step in and help.
    Rihana already mentioned leaving the house keys with a grumpy, business-like, neighbor.

This is nice. You have found your kindred spirits. Are they able to call you now and then, just for a chat ? You are indeed, very lucky.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    butterflyice and anika987 like this.
  2. ThirumathiJ

ThirumathiJ Silver IL'ite

Hi Nyonya - we don't use the phone now days since the advent of whatsapp. That was pre whatsapp age when We used phones. Yes we chat at least 5 messages a day. Like if we saw a particular movie which got released, or don't go out without umbrealla, or chat about some dish recipe that we made or just share the bad good exp we had that day.

Keep waiting alternate days for the emergency situation examples. seriously it's not a joke. Just be happy you have been lucky.

skalluri likes this.
  3. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Surprised that you did not know that Desis are generally more selfish and self centered than an average person. If you havent come across such people in India then you were fortunate. I do not consider not telling "Alvida" before leaving as selfish. Some people may not know the importance of closure, dont consider me worth it, didnt have their time - their problem. A few aberrations are necessary to balance out things.

Yes, I get along better with Desis, lots of common ground, but there are all kinds of people in every race/community. Generally it is hard to make great friendships once we are into the late twenties. Like the connect we feel in college, even as we start work, it is really hard to find. Perhaps because we dont spend so much time together, we dont face the same adversaries, we dont share the same dreams, we didnt have family that would constantly be in the background. Now a days I have different groups of friends, someone I can reach out if I need help but really dont have much in common now, some i share interests but not sure in time of need they will reach out, only a few that I am constantly in touch and reach out for anything., on-line friends who do provide moral support, some were good while it lasted...

anika987 likes this.
  4. ThirumathiJ

I guess I did not clearly mention that we were moving closely.
    If they were just hi bye neighbors, it's pretty understandable.
    But this was like we met twice a week. Any special dish I make goes to their house. They return that back when they make something special. The kids were literally living in our house...free baby sitting when they went out, so many help they took and we were moving quite closely. Any emergencies they would call us, I was there for them. So, When you do all these...............Can you treat someone like that?

Sunpa:
    It's wrong to say Desis are selfish, didn't u know.....blah blah blah... I admit they are, but this is beyond selfish.

Anyways, where are all the nice Desis, give a shoutout....let's keep in touch :) :) :)

skalluri and Vaikuntha like this.
  5. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

I completely agree with you op.Even i find it very difficult to forge a friendship in NJ.either they have their own group or our characteristics are not compatible.one thing what i learnt is,talk well with others and then focus on your life,dont expect them to call you for outings or make a phone call to you.just have hi bye friends,not close ones.

In your case,the neighbour's attitude is totally unacceptable.That tells you how much vengence/jealousy she would have had on her mind.Its better that she had moved away.I also find this jealousy attitude a lot among desi's living here.Iam not generalising,but atleast the people i have encountered.

anika987 likes this.
  6. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

Well, i hav 2 neighbours probably distant relatives of my hus.... One team on our top.floor (say A) and the other right behind us(say B)... A n we have frequent visits but B is like from Aliens land... They dont like any1 visiting them ... Never comes to our house .. as i have said they are distant relatives every other relatives while we see at any malls or may b while calling simply enquires of B.. n i hav 2 say i donno... Their any news... Initially i felt so bad... I thot wat a neighbour i am... I donno even thy r alive or not... But gradually every1 undrstud their naturee.. wen B got pregnant (aftr 10 yrs of marrd life) ever1 from long distance came to visit her.. she said dont come inside its very dirty .. they got stunned and shocked. I was also not allowed to enter her house..
    .may b she wasnt well and cudnt keep the house clean..... But at get-togethers she is soooo nice very frndly n all... N wen she hears any1 is goin to visit her she just locks her gate... N me n B exchanges any important msgs thru FB... Many of our relatives makes fun of us... Wat the.... Neighbours talking thru FB.... :coldsweat:..
    But still i like her... :blush:... .. Peace:thumbup:

NatLuv likes this.
  7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

This is quite hilarious.. reminds me of the famous quote "We have met the enemy, and he's us".
    "K-alvida-NK" was a long drawn out movie, wasn't it ? Perhaps the neighbors who never say good-bye before moving away, didn't mean to be rude. They may have simply thought they were coming back to borrow some sugar later on anyhow... or return the cup ?... and then life's daily harangue happens, and they lost track of time. But they are coming back into our lives again.
    Are phoren desis different from desis in desh ? Speaking in inglis all the time could also convey a sense of distance, keeping people at arms-length all the time, no?

butterflyice, dc24, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  8. ThirumathiJ

Good Point JGVR - haven't thought of it in this angle. :)

Anyways a loving message to all the extremely self absorbed selfish Desis out there, if you are in this forum reading this, this is for you. Probably while growing up nobody would have taught u some basic human values:

If you can't give a damn about "someone", just live them alone and live in your own world.
    Nobody will disturb your privacy. That's PERFECTLY FINE!

BUT BUT BUT if you invade their privacy all the time by making them your
    1) 1-800 helpline, when you call them up everytime to ask all kind of questions you need help with...
    2) Angel fell from Heaven/911 attendant - for all you Emergency situations.
    3) Your Personal Helper - need help nailing stuff, mounting tv, moving heavy stuff..
    4) Triple AAA Agent - for your vehicle needs.
    5 )Charity Organization - when you run out of something, coming running to that "someone",
    Then....Karma is a Bitch.
    There will be someone else using you and throwing just as how you have been doing.

We do those mentioned above for "friends", and it is 2 ways. Not 1 way lane.
    Don't expect when you can't give.

9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

+1...
    Life is not always easy or predictable. In a land where u are a first generation immigrant with no family near by friends are ur support system. Good ones are hard to come by. OP...dont lose faith...there are plenty of decent desi and non -desi folks still left in this world. Be patient and the right family will come along.

Amica, Lathasv, SGBV and 3 others like this.
  10. deeps0512

deeps0512 New IL'ite