Bad Day

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Sapna56, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Hello friends
    I felt that I actually had a very bad day in office today.
    I just joined office few days back.
    So my work is kind of gearing up. Means I will have lot of time when I don't have work.
    And fridays I observed , will have very little/no work. Since I am a contractor I don't feel comfortable to leave for the day if i don't have anything. Since I am idle I feel like chatting with my colleagues.
    The colleagues have a kind of group and they will gather at one colleague cubicle and keep chatting in regional language.
    I don't know the regional language+they are males and one/two females+full timers. All these things make me kind of not join them chatting. But then again I feel like they might think I am not gelling, mixing up with them. I feel it coz they just gather next to my cubicle and they can easily keep staring me alongwith chatting.
    Today was friday so this happened for around couple of hours. I was kind of pissed off. I was feeling like i have no work, no one to talk and someone is staring me. This made me feel that I am egoistic , also not a person who easily gels. That also makes me curse myself that why I am like this. I curse myself saying that I am not mixing up with people which again demotivates me.
    I do understand that I am introvert and I take time to get along with people.
    I don't know how should i have handled the situation. I think I didn't handle it well.

2. parijatrawat

parijatrawat Senior IL'ite

Yeah! That happens with me too.
    Firstly! It takes time to mingle with others but it's not impossible, we all are different in us. So, stop cursing yourself and make yourself adaptable to it and think positive. It takes time to talk to others might be possible you don't trust people easily or you have some lack of confidence in yourself.
    No need to worry more. We just do what we feel is good for us. You can spend that idle time in searching for new things in the market and gain more deep knowledge about it. You can even listen to music if allowed, read any best book or gain some extra knowledge about new things in the market.

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Sapna, you need to get over that feeling. This does not sound like a particularly bad day, but you are allowing stray thoughts to distract you. This is not good for your long-term success.
    This is your chance to show some initiative. When you are new, you have a small window of opportunity to create the image you want. Find something useful to do. Research the company you work for, or aspects of the technology/field you work in. Do it in an organized fashion. Keep your boss informed, seek some advice as necessary. Do not leave, but fill the void productively, be seen doing so, and keep a good log of how you spend your time. Remaining idle is not a good idea.
    Well, people yammering away in a language that a colleague does not know is impolite - but it happens. Now you can't just go looking for someone who speaks your language, can you? Productivity and sociability are both important in the workplace. Yes, it is hard to break into a group, but it's not that hard to smile and ask "hey, what are you guys talking about? - you all sound so 'excited' (or some suitable adjective)". Or, learn to ask how to say simple things in their language, and use it. Who knows, a little privyet, kak dyela and do svidanya may one day turn into a ya vas lublyu!:roflmao:

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I am an introvert too, have been in similar situations.

This is something I have tried n worked , you can try it.

Wave at them, greet them, smile at them during other times.
    Start with jus standing along with them when they are getting together.
    Then laugh at the jokes.
    Then just start adding in like 'ya I agree' 'oh god' 'that's bad' 'that's good' 'oh really?' 'Wow' 'nice'.. some simple words like these.
    Slowly add in more, start questions, crack jokes, tease another as you start enjoying the conversation.
    Regarding the language, you can ask them.

It has to begin somewhere, n it has to come from you, Have fun!