backstabbing teammate

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Rums, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi ILs,
    I am in a new job and my teammate was helping me in the beginning. After that, All my projects which were dependent on him got delayed though I finished early. He doesn't want me to work independently and creates all issues for me. He then presents his own version of his project at the last minute and makes me look bad. My manager is aware of this. Nowadays he has problems with whatever projects I work on.

He escalated small things to the upper management and they ignored it. Now he is sulking and makes my life miserable. Small projects are assigned and he is like "Why is she working on this?", "Why is she doing this?". What to do?.
    I am unable to focus on my work since there is constant interference from his side.

Can anyone suggest me what to do?. I don't want to look bad in my new job nor want to put up with this.

2. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies...I am sure someone has faced a similar situation. I have already escalated it once to the management.
    I don't know what to do..

3. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

talk to your manager again and tell him that your productivity is getting lost because of him.If you have already done that then the next time this guy comes and pokes his nose tell him that you are doing what you have been assigned to do and ask him to talk to manager.just ignore him or tell him that you have much more work to be completed and do not want to be disturbed.just do this atleast 2 or 3 times and see.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

My view is bite the bullet, hold a level head and wait until that guy shoots himself in the foot. I know its rough for you but wait it out. Things will settle out after an application of time.

5. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thanks JGVR and Tashi. I already told my manager but he doesn't say anything. They just ignored him. But he is one of the seniors so I am biting the bullet as Tashi says.

6. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Have you told your manager verbally?In some cases, it is better to drop an e-mail to your manager highlighting this proble. Though you may think it's unnecessary, this will be one of the evidence during your appraisal.

I too had the similar problem & the concerned fellow was my Team leader. The team under him around 3 people reported about him to manager. If there are other team mates,having the same problem with him sometimes joint representation to manager helps. If you as a single person complains,it can sometimes be treated as both your wavelength doesn't match. If more than one reports its different thing.

If it is just a co-worker keep records of you have finished the work earlier & it was delayed because of him. Send an mail once your work is done. Better to keep the records. You never know when it will come handy.Don't allow him to take collective decision for you. Give him the hint that you understand, what is he doing. Cross question him & next time he asks anything on what are you doing give a wavy answer & concentrate on work.

7. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Sorry to hear about it, Rums. Have all the work related materials, meeting info and emails are in one place. Document everything. It happens. Don't discuss about it too much to other team mates since you are new there. Talk to your manager. you are there to work, not to be involved in Politics. I was in HR and have seen lots of people like that. Take care
    Good luck.

8. haagesummane

haagesummane Gold IL'ite

Rumsji,
    As said by Coffeelover and Blackbeauty,keep the work related document done by you at one place so that it can be used if he comes and complains about the delay in project work due to you. Be categorical in understanding the things said by them. I know such kind of resources do exists in a project.if u feel that things are going out of ur hands, pls contact HR. Hope they might help you.