back to work after a break

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Tulasi, Jan 25, 2007.

1. samhi

samhi New IL'ite

Hi anukvs,

Even i have a gap of 6yrs.I have done my BE in 2002 and got married then kid.recently i have done a certification in testing tools. even though i did a certification i'm not getting any interview calls.it is very difficult.can we put the reason in our resumes?if so how did u do that?

plez help me

deepthi.

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I was a software engineer. I have taken a maternity leave of 6 months and then i resigned my job. Took a break of 1 year, to take care of my daughter.

To restart my career, i completed the CSTE certification. Then started applying for job. Also went through lot of tips for attending the interviews. When i created my resume, i left the gap without any explanation. The people interested in my resume, would ask me why there is a gap. I would reply, i took a break to take care of my daughter. I completed my certification during this break. They were perfectly okay with my answer.

Now i am a QA lead in my company. Re-starting a career would be a little difficult. But after attending a few interviews and read online tips about interviews and resume writing, you will be much more confident of yourself.

Hope this helps

Note: One serious and sincere advise is do not make false claims in your resume if you cannot prove it. Nowadays companies (both india and abroad) are black listing the candidates who do so.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  3. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

One more tip is post your resume in job portals like naukri or monster. Once posted, keep updating the resume as frequently as possible, even if it is a small spelling change.

Latest resumes get more hits and preference than older ones.

Nowdays due to the recession, the job market has gone down but hasnt come to a standstill. So keep trying and all the best

4. rajanimavi

rajanimavi New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

This thread has helped me boost up my confidence. I'm at my mom's place cos I'm thinking of getting back to work after 3 years, i quit work just before marriage, thinking I should take time in working on my relationships at my inlaws place. I've got a small kid. More convenient to prepare and attend interviews when I'm here. Im looking for a job in the graphic designing field. My confidence level was close to zero earlier. But somehow wanted to get back to work. Thank God I read these comments by everyone here. Feeling a lot better. Thankyou Indus Ladies..
    All the best!!

Rajani

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  5. Esspe

Esspe New IL'ite

Hi all

I am planning to take a break from work for sometime as i have a 5 month old son and I am not comfortable with the idea of leaving him in a creche or with a maid.

But i am having the same doubts as discussed in the forum, how long shud i take the break and how to join back?

Also what productive steps i can take while i m at home to add to my skills and personality, so as not to lose the edge when i join back.

6. nikki18

nikki18 New IL'ite

Dear all,
    We at Godrej are looking out for a talent pool of high caliber, experienced, well qualified women professionals who have taken a career break and want to get back into action.
    Please view the attachment for further details.

Attached Files:

7. samhi

samhi New IL'ite

Hi

I have done CSTE certification and i have kept my resumes in naukri,monster etc.i have applied for many companies.untill now i haven't got any call.i dnt have any previous experience.can u help me how u approached the companies.

regard's
    samhi.

8. GayathriPrathap

GayathriPrathap New IL'ite

Hi Nikki,
    Your message was a big boost to me. I have a break of 10 months now and will be returning back to India by April. Is this offer still available?. I've an IT experience of two and a half years. Your reply will be of great use to me.

Thanks in advance,
    Gayathri

9. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi ILS,
    This thread was very useful to me. I took a break after delivery and trying get inside the market. It's just too depressing. I have been applying and reading and I hardly get any calls. Even if I get after a while they say they have cancelled the position or someone else has been chosen(only once). I am a .NET developer with 3 years of experience. Any advice??

10. thee

thee New IL'ite

hey,
    i too worked as a software engineer for 3 yrs and then resigned after my daughter's birth.. anybody got job in chennai after 6 yrs of break??