1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Back To School Night ???

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Aug 31, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Kiddo is starting first grade and I got the email and it was mentioned about the back to school night which also falls on a weekday.No kids allowed.

Where does one leave the kid?Honestly,am not close nor have I ever asked help from my neighbors.

Secondly,does the school offer some babysitting kind of?Dont know all of a sudden where to find someone reliable to leave the child.

What do people who don’t have friends or relatives do?

Can just one parent go?

How often does this come?

2. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Usually one can leave their kid in Cafeteria where other kids will be there and some teachers or student volunteers will monitor them for the time you have to be in class room. Different schools have different policies. Check with your classroom teacher or parent.

anika987 likes this.
  3. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

I think its Ok for just one parent to go...

anika987 likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi guys..can you throw more light about the back to school night? Few other queries..

1) How often does back to school night happens?

2) Is it mandatory to be in PTA?

3) I am a homemaker.. so will I automatically expected to take responsibility to be a room parent?

4) How often do your meet other parents and how often do you go to school?I went a lot during preschool/ kindergarten..

Pardon me..As much as I appear social on IL, I have social anxiety issues.Hence,wanna be prepared for myself also

5. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

This could differ depending on the state..
    Back to school night is once a year, you may have open houses(display of your childs work in class) 2 twice a year.
    You don't have to be a PTA member..it is optional
    Nope. it is strictly voluntary..you will not be forced to be a room parent unless you are interested.
    Not often.. I remember going once or twice a year..

Dont worry anika, I did not force myself to make friends with other parents/met them just for the sake..at the same time I was open if anyone approached and wanted to make friends...i had very few.. once your kid finds his best friend, you can be friends with his/her parents and take it from there..

SinghManisha and anika987 like this.
  6. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

I also been to this back to school day and everyone there made a whats app group of parents. We daily discuss the school activities hw cw or keep reminding each other about any extra activity. Its really very helpful.

SinghManisha and anika987 like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just one parent going is fine and good enough. If you want something to worry about : ) here are few things:
    - will dad make it home in time.
    - parents have to sit in the tiny low first grader chairs. (but you are fit and trim, so not a worry, :sweatsmile:)
    - sometimes they have a sign-up sheet to sign up for the parent-teacher conference time slots. worry: how to get to that sign-up sheet first.
    - there will be one parent who will pull out his/her phone and slowly consult the calendar of a month 2-3 months away while holding up the line. worry: how to smoothly tell this parent, "excuse me I have my time already chosen, can I quickly write it in."
    - entire school's parents are at the school, often mom and dad coming in separate cars. worry: where to park.

Honestly, you are new to the elementary school business, so go to the back-to-school night, otherwise there is not much lost by one or both parents skipping it. It is pretty routine information. After 2nd or 3rd grade, it is even more OK to skip.

Don't: collar the teacher and ask her/him, "how is my child doing?" The email must have specifically said, "this is not a time to conference with the teacher." At the end of the presentation, while other parents are falling over themselves and sprinting over the low furniture to get to the teacher, you can go around the classroom, take a look at the stuff on the walls, the open cabinets, the reading area, the cabinet/filing area, and so on. This will make you familiar with where your child spends 4-5 hours each day. Feel free to even take pictures though avoid including kids in the pictures if they are in the classroom.

Don't: look at all the work put up on the walls, and worry that your child's handwriting, vocabulary or drawing are not up to the mark.

Also, each parent sits at his/her child's seat. Feel free to explore your child's desk. Maybe even leave a note she will find there the next morning.

Remember to sign the parent attendance sheet. Often the next day, kids whose parents came to the back-to-school get some brownie points.

After dinner, compose an email to the teacher. Something like:
    Dear Ms. Jones,
    "It was nice to attend the back-to-school night and get to see the classroom and meet the teacher that Johnny has been talking about so much. Thank you for taking the time to present the information. In particular, my husband and I appreciated your talking about "< fill in something specific that teacher covered in presentation>" because < a nice reason >. It is very useful for parents like me who grew up outside the U.S. and whose first child is now in 1st grade.

<Include something complimentary or positive about the classroom. I had once mentioned that I liked how the teacher gave the students numbers Z-A of last name, instead of A-Z as it is normally done.>

<Mention that you are currently a SAHM, and are available to sign up for helping in classroom and school, and will be on the lookout for sign-up emails. Say that you are not yet ready to be room-parent, but if ever she is ever short of volunteers or chaperones, you will be more than happy to help.

In the subject or the first line of email, include "Thank you from Johnny's mom" so she doesn't have to search up who you are.

OK hope all this gives you some information rather than more to worry about. : )

In general, keep in email touch with the teacher through short positive emails once in few weeks so that when you have some real issue to write about, you already have an email rapport with her. Just a short one line: "Johnny was telling his dad all about the seeds that students have planted in little pots. It gave us an opportunity to talk about how plants need sunlight." or "Johnny was so excited and could not stop talking about the visit to the library. Thank you for the information about the reading levels and how kids can choose books."

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Mehana, SunPa, KavithaUS and 3 others like this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks so much:) helpful points