1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Back To Basics! No Soap No Shampoo! Practical?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by IniyaaSri, Mar 12, 2018.

Will you stop using body soaps & shampoos and go for natural alternatives?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

14.3%
  3. May be. I dont know.

7.1%
  4. Yes only if it not time consuming

26.2%
  5. Is that really possible?

2.4%
  1. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

@IniyaaSri
    The fermented rice water is used as a hair and skin conditioner.Rice starch is more concentrated and must be diluted with some water before use.I am not sure if it can be used as a shampoo, but no harm in trying.

IniyaaSri likes this.
  2. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

Yeah I have heard of this Veena! Actually I use to use rice boiled water for rinsing my hair.
    Thinking to try that as well! Thanks a lot : ) : )

3. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

means water used to wash rice? or water taken while boiling the rice?

4. virtualkv2020

Rice is first rinsed in water to get rid of the dirt, it is then soaked in water for around 20 mins.Mix well, the water becomes cloudy. Strain the rice (you can cook rice as usual with fresh water for your lunch/dinner) and preserve this water at room temperature for a day or two till it turns sour.Your fermented rice water is ready to use.

When rice is cooked using draining method, you make rice starch. This can be used too, just dilute it until it becomes slightly cloudy and use.Both fermented rice water and starch can be refrigerated for up to a week.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    creativemumma, IniyaaSri and shravs3 like this.
  5. Mahanu

Mahanu Silver IL'ite

I too have been thinking about this option of not using soaps and shampoos. I also wonder how things were some 100 years ago, when these things were not known to anyone one here and what they used to keep themselves clean. Glad that you have started putting the same thought into use and successfully following it.

I have the same thoughts about detergents also. How our ancestors kept their clothes neat and clean without any stains, etc as they would have not used any detergents then.

One thing I would like to know from you is how do you manage to get rid of sweat odour, as it is difficult to get clear of it with ordinary water.

By the way, may I know in which country/state do you live, as you are successful in organic living.

IniyaaSri and shravs3 like this.
  6. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mahanu!!!

Good that you started thinking about detergents as well. Am yet to think and implement that.
    As of now just 'No soap & No shampoo'.
    Regarding sweat, personally speaking, I usually dont sweat much. I mean my body is that kind.
    I sweat only when it is really hot. Other than that no! I sweat slightly under usual Indian weather conditions.
    Till now I didn't any get complaints from my family or friends on body odour though I dont use anything
    I think you can go for natural things like "Javadhu"or something similar for good fragrance.
    Other than that, you can have a good bath once you come from office or like whenever you feel you are sweating badly.

I got these links when I searched for sweat odour. You can check and think about this.

9 Home Remedies For Body Odor - How To Get Rid Of Body Odour | Herbal Supplements

Home remedies of Body Odor

And I live in Japan. Its terribly cold as well terrifically hot.( during summer).

Mahanu likes this.
  7. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot for detailed explanation:thumbsup:

8. Mahanu

Mahanu Silver IL'ite

Hi IniyaaSri,

Thanks for your reply.

Please visit this thread started by me on organic detergents: Organic Detergent (diy)

IniyaaSri likes this.
  9. Ushasantosh

Ushasantosh Silver IL'ite

Hello friends. .
    Got this thread while searching for natural soaps n shampoos.. I must say very useful tips from u ladies! Thank u..
    I am planning to try these tips. But few questions.
    1. Can v make soap bars n store using these natural ingredients? Since making powder n mixing is a lill time consuming..
    2. After making all natural shampoo using shikakai, amla n soap nuts, how long can or be stored outside?
    Thanks,
    Usha.

10. virtualkv2020

Soap making is safe to learn through a good instructor which requires usage of lye and temperature handling techniques.If interested go ahead.

You could also try Dr Bronners Castile soap. It’s an olive oil based soap, people also make shampoos using this as a base. However, I haven’t tried it but heard good things about it.

You could probably pay a visit to any of the reputed Ayurvedic stores like Kottakkal Arya Vaidyasala and ask for Ayurvedic soaps that are totally chemical free.

If you are able to spare 20-30 mins to make bath and shampoo powders in small batches that can last for 1-2 months is very good or send your ingredients to a mill that they will grind it for you. It’s better not to store in large batches as the powdered ingredients loses its potency over time.

Here are some simple bath powders
    Bath powder 1
    Green gram - 100 gms
    Bengal gram - 50 grams
    Rice - 25 grams
    Fenugreek seeds - 5 grams
    Turmeric - 1 to 2 grams
    Babchi- Bavanchalu - Bakuchi Seeds - Karpokarishi - Paoralea Corylifolia - 1 to 2 seeds.
    Powder the above and store in a glass jar, mix with water and use as soap.

Bath powder 2 (requires no grinding)
    Mix a cup of gram flour (besan) with little turmeric and enough curds to make a paste and use as a body scrub or face pack.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Ushasantosh likes this.