1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Back To Basics! No Soap No Shampoo! Practical?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by IniyaaSri, Mar 12, 2018.

Will you stop using body soaps & shampoos and go for natural alternatives?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

14.3%
  3. May be. I dont know.

7.1%
  4. Yes only if it not time consuming

26.2%
  5. Is that really possible?

2.4%
  1. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Yes plain water is not enough.. I always use a herbal shampoo. I use dr elchuris Bharath shampoo/tamarind shampoo (recipes given in ayurvedic hair care post), they do not lather like the ones made with chemicals but helps get rid of the dirt.I like them as they don’t strip off the natural oil.

Another basic shampoo that many people used in the olden days was soaking equal amounts of Amla, shikakai, reeta pieces in water overnight. Simmer for a while, squeeze when cooled and use as shampoo.

My aunt simply uses reeta juice till today, that suits her.. this could cause dry hair for some people. In such as a case mix reeta and hibiscus leaves juice and use.

My favorite is hibiscus shampoo ( grind fresh hibiscus leaves into a smooth paste and use as a shampoo,rinse with water,it also lathers and conditions hair).

Some people use plain green gram powder as soap and shampoo. You could also try using Meera herbal hair wash powder,just make sure to check the ingredients before you buy (check for sulphate and other preservatives/chemicals,you don’t need those).

If you have oily hair then use a concoction of reeta and lime juice as shampoo.You need to rinse well with Luke warm water to get rid of all the herbs off your hair.

If you are using an egg mask, to get rid of the odor add a few drops of lavender essential or peppermint essential oil or any other essential oil of your choice while making the egg mask. After you leave the mask on your hair for 20 mins to an hour rinse with herbal shampoo and use cold or lukewarm water to rinse.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    IniyaaSri likes this.
  2. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

I wont be getting many of the ingredients. So am going to try with green gram flour as of now. Let me see.
    And thank you so much for providing me with these many options : )
    Good day : )

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes I used to try Reetha and Shikakai loved it but i recently came to US don’t know wat to do ?

virtualkv2020 and IniyaaSri like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

And nowadays hairfal is even due to hormonal imbalance like thyroid disorder or PCOD . Nowadays both are common in women really wonder how to prevent such things

5. IniyaaSri

I just checked in amazon.com. Both soapnuts (reetha) and Acacia concinna (shikakai) are available. You can buy and start using it.

virtualkv2020 and shravs3 like this.
  6. IniyaaSri

Right! We need to get back to our healthy lifestyle. No other go!

virtualkv2020 and shravs3 like this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks will try it !

virtualkv2020 and IniyaaSri like this.
  8. virtualkv2020

You could try this, I like the idea of freezing the home made shampoo into ice cubes and use when needed. Sounds more practical and easy! You can increase reeta quantity for oily scalp or reduce the quantity for dry hair. You can purchase these herbs in amazon or Indian stores.

Make Your Own Natural Shampoo: Get Soft and Shiny Hair at Home - hair buddha

One of my favorite to go shampoo is tamarind, soak old tamarind(looks black) in water overnight or in hot water for sometime.Squeeze and extract the pulp and use as shampoo. This tip was given by Dr Elchuri.. he said the tribal women uses this method..a secret for their long lustrous dark hair even in their late years! I use this one especially when I am traveling.

I am guessing you could also freeze this pulp in ice trays, remove once frozen and save them in a box or a zip lock bag in the freezer and use as needed at home.You can easily find old tamarind in Indian stores in USA.

One can also use besan as shampoo or use as a hair mask, leave for 30 mins and rinse with just water for shiny hair (Dr Elchuris tip). For this mix besan with water into a medium consistency and use. One can also add curds to the mix if you have dry hair.

Some people use green gram flour as soap and shampoo.When using it as shampoo, soak the required green gram flour in water overnight in a small mixie jar, in the morning grind again and into a smooth pulp and use as shampoo, rinse with water.

The green gram flour can be mixed with water and used as a body scrub immediately (the grainy texture helps scrub the skin well).

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Afresh and shravs3 like this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot Veena ! Will try it.

10. virtualkv2020

Make healthy life style changes and seek medical help if needed.