1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Back To Basics! No Soap No Shampoo! Practical?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by IniyaaSri, Mar 12, 2018.

Will you stop using body soaps & shampoos and go for natural alternatives?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

14.3%
  3. May be. I dont know.

7.1%
  4. Yes only if it not time consuming

26.2%
  5. Is that really possible?

2.4%
  1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@IniyaaSri i believe back to the basics and slowly as i talk about my experiences and logic and reasoning my daughter is willing to follow them.

regarding soap not sure if it would really help in a humid country where we sweat a lot.

that said memory lane is such a interesting one.. my grandma used to use greengram powder with turmeric both from our own farms. the turmeric kept pimples,acne and facila hair away but sadly it does not work for my daughter’s gen because there is more culprits that are ingested by them from environment and food.
    coming back to soap have seen farm hands using clear clean sand that gets silted and is abrasive as a medium to scrub themselves while others scrubbed just with natural scrubbers from plant skeletons.

coming to hairwash it was always reetha/soapnuts and shikakaai pods. the oil was homepressed sesame or coconut from farms. there was no issues of hair fall nor dandruff then. it is not the case today. you get dandruff from stress, even kids as young as 6 develop folliculitis and slowly develop patches of no hair growth areas.

the toothpowder was home burnt wood ash, that was sieved well and a pinch of coarsely crushed rocksalt added. or the traditional neem/peepal tree twig..you had good and strong teeth.

last week i was walking around browsing creams, shampoos and soaps in a mall and even baby shampoos are not free of sls or paraben. and when i came back home, i went to the a ayurvedic brand of shampoo that boasts of no sls, using something else. 100% natural is a illusion when you pick them off the shelf while making everything at home is tedious and the too much work, and many of us do not want to take th route hence the marketing and boosts in sales of leading brands that are cashing in on our fear and our inclination to organic. hence the number of stores with organic in their tagline or name.

the very famous almond oil has so much mineral oil i was shocked. the leading coconut oil has a percentage of mineral oil. so go to the cooking edible oil that can be used for hair too. yes a tad greasier and harder to wash, but the long run beneficial.

so what is practically possible today, eating what is grown around your place more. using ingredients found around you like hibiscus flowers, leaf, shikakai, soapnut, methi, curds, gram/moong flour or even rice flour for hair wash. making a hair oil at home.

and as someabove asked a piece of lemon and warm water is the best santizer for hand. you can even use vinegar with some essential oil like mint, orange or even lemon grass if you like the smell to your vinegar and use.

alum or lemon works as a deo.

i have discussed most of this in the lunch thread as i don't find time to start new threads nor keep acknowleding fbs.
    Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I have also tried that fenugreek mask ..my grand mom suggested it as a home remedy for dandruff..soaked and prepared in mixie..i applied it generously to my hair and scalp, but after soaking for 15-20 mins I tried washing it off with generous amp mount of water. but it dint go off my hair completely...little paste would stick here n after getting dried it would fall off as powder..little bit got stuck to my scalp also..that's why I don't use this mask regularly but very rarely during some relaxed weekend.

shravs3, virtualkv2020 and IniyaaSri like this.
  3. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Yes I totally agree with you, unless we buy products from authentic Ayurvedic stores 100% natural products is truly an illusion these days.I prefer to buy whole reeta, shikakai and Amla pieces rather than in powdered form (as I do not have access to ayurvedic stores).

As you had mentioned there are many natural products available in our kitchen that we can easily use, we just need to take some time to make and use them. :)

shravs3 and IniyaaSri like this.
  4. virtualkv2020

My 2 cents suggestion..You can fine grind the fenugreek seeds, sieve it and store. Soak the required amount in water or curds overnight in a small mixie jar and grind again in the morning before using.This will help attain a fine texture without you struggling to get rid of with bits and pieces stuck on hair.

creativemumma and IniyaaSri like this.
  5. ranju5

ranju5 Silver IL'ite

Go for it for I believe if it works for you than go for it. Besides as you have rightly pointed out we did not use shampoo before and had lovely thick long hair.

IniyaaSri likes this.
  6. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

Yeah! Thats why I feel going back to basics might be right for me. In fact right for many if we take effort to preserve our natural charm! Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts :blush::blush::blush:
    Have a good day : )

7. IniyaaSri

Sorry that I took time to respond!
    Yes you are absolutely right! There is nothing 'natural' until we ourselves make it.
    And yeah!
    This is what am trying to do! Though I dont have access for half of the above things. And yeah good thought on sanitizer:thumbsup: Thank you so much for giving such a vivid response. Thanks once again!
    Good day :blush:

8. IniyaaSri

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  9. virtualkv2020

IniyaaSri likes this.
  10. IniyaaSri

Thank you so much kveena!
    I went through that link. Good tips.
    I have a doubt. Let me know if you can help on that.
    If I apply warm oil or egg mask or any such thing, What shall I use to completely remove that oily feeling or egg smell? I feel plain water is not enough in such cases. Will shikakai and boiled rice water remove that oiliness and egg smell? Any idea. I want to have oil bath at times. But how to wash off the oil? Let me know.