Back Then Women.........

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SeekingMind, Sep 2, 2016.

1. SeekingMind

SeekingMind Silver IL'ite

My Grandma lived till her 95th year. She had 10 children, lived in an agricultural family, joint family set-up.
    She was extremely patient in nature, very neat and organized in whatever work she did, an excellent cook. She worked at home and on the farm too. At the time of harvest they say everyone had to pitch in to help at the field to cut down labor cost. They had cows at home. So, milking the cows, cleaning the area etc was all her duty. From 4am to 10pm she had her hands full.
    With 10 children , she still could pursue her interests when she rested for an hour or two in the afternoons....sewing, embroidery and knitting. She has left behind so many of her beautiful embroidery works for us as memories. She was a great host too.......heard so many wonderful compliments from distant relatives who used to visit my grandparents often.
    Juggling so much in a single day, she could still find time and energy to take care of her skin, her hair and always appeared fresh and energetic. I just wonder how she did it?

Share your thoughts on such inspiring woman from the older generation.

guesshoo, kaniths, Lathasv and 3 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

They thought less, had less time to think. They were not expected to have an opinion about the family's finances or worry about it. Same for children's academic education - supervising it was not the woman's job.

Ask any parent - chances are they will say the sleepless nights of early parenting - diaper changes, throw-ups, fussy, colicky baby.. they'll take that over worrying about a teenager, any day.

There is physical labor, and there is mental labor. One usually ends when the sun sets. The other keeps you awake at 3 a.m. as you lay back and stare at the ceiling.

mfbtnuae, guesshoo, kaniths and 7 others like this.
  3. SeekingMind

Hence the migraine attacks we suffer :weary:
    We fail to understand that worrying leads to nothing.

kaniths and anika987 like this.
  4. Rihana

Perhaps I was not clear or used the word 'worry' wrongly.

My point was that mentally taxing tasks like the family's financial well-being and children's academic education, were not the woman's responsibility.

For the record, I prefer the migraine, and dark circles that come with thinking/worrying, over the restriction that others are better judge of my welfare, from my birth to my death.

5. SeekingMind

Same here too. However ideal it may appear, but I wouldn't trade my independence for anything.

Rihana and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

And you said this on a day I'm not even in talking terms with my teenager. Gosh, If I have time machine, I will keep her that sweet little baby over I know it all teenager.

@SeekingMind, On top of what Rihana said, I feel they did not eat the poisoned food what we eat or use artificial make up and had great workout everyday too.

kaniths, yellowmango, Rihana and 3 others like this.
  7. SeekingMind

You cannot do that....Today is Friday...c'mon don't waste a friday evening. Take the lead, afterall you are her mom, break the silence.....Order some pizza and play a game or watch a movie with her.

kaniths and KashmirFlower like this.
  8. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I want her also to remember this. This time, I need time. :)

SeekingMind, Rihana and KashmirFlower like this.
  9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Back those days they had so much physical work ,they did not have TIME FOR EMOTIONAL STRESS..
    They did not have GREAT DREAMS and lived a SIMPLE LIFE.less stress=more beauty.
    Due to physical work,they are super fit even at 90 with no BP,sugar etc..

On the emotional front,With lot of children and joint setup one feels SECURE,HAPPIER and IN CONTROL..
    I do not know about others but nuclear family is no joy.Maybe for few years initially but being with family around you is bliss...

You may not have a voice or say in many things but strangely one is more happier..

P.S:lived in a huge family for many years before marriage and the pain being nuclear still lingers...

Also rihana has summed it up nicely..

SeekingMind, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

My current theme is run away. Me, not she!

Getting so adept at masking my impatience, I could be an air hostess on the plane with unruliest passengers. Told one mom with second grade aged kid, these are the golden years, enjoy. Like, specifically texted her and told her. She texts back, 'now you are scaring me'