1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Back In Time

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Nov 23, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Dhruv woke up that day because of the noise from the street. On investigation from his balcony he found out that person in the opposite house was fighting with his neighbor over car parking. Automatically his eyes went to his neighbor’s house which was still vacant. Guilt enveloped him again.

He glanced at the clock; Morning was still young and picked up the morning newspaper lying outside his door. He read without concentration, his mind was clearly distracted.

It was then the newspaper ad caught his attention:

Wanted an adventurous partner who is interested in time traveling with me. If interested contact me at backintime@timetravel.com

Dhruv read the advertisement several times to make sure he is reading it right.

Many of his problems would be fixed if he has gone backward in times.

If he had given his neighbor the money he asked for. If he had spoken with Ramya..If he had done the interview well….

After a deep thought Dhruv mailed to the id expressing his desire to time travel. Soon Dhruv received an invitation to chat with the person.

‘Hi Dhruv.’ said the message

Dhruv: ‘Hi..what’s your name?’

‘I don’t have a name. You may call me ,Time’ said the voice.

Dhruv: ‘I don’t know how to say it. Though I’m texting to you, I ’m hearing your voice where in my speaker is turned off completely.’

Time: ‘Yes Dhruv you can hear me without speakers or without any device.’

Dhruv: ‘How it’s possible?’

Time: ‘I’m Time. Everything is possible by me. Do you want to discuss about this or talk about time travel. ‘

D: ‘Of course about Time Travel. I don’t know anything about it. But I want to go back in time and …’

T: ‘You are very heavy Dhruv.. It would be difficult to travel. When Dhruv appeared confused the voice continued.. I didn’t mean the physical aspect of it. Your heart and mind is heavy.Now tell me why do you want to go backwards in time.’

D: ‘I want to correct few mistakes I did…’

T: ‘Like providing the money to neighbor?’

D: ‘How do you know that? No one knew about it apart from me and the neighbor…’

T:’ Don’t ask me such questions again. I’m Time. I know everything about you: past, present and future. Look Dhruv, I think you have superhero syndrome..why do you think you are responsible for neighbor’s death.’

D: ‘Because I was in a position to help him, but I didn’t. He would have been alive if…’

T: ‘That’s why I’m saying you are heavy. You are feeling guilty for so many things which would have happened despite you. Now tell me that incident in your words Dhruv.’

Dhruv started narrating the incident. When Dhruv came to the locality, his neighbor helped a lot in setting up the house. Soon he started borrowing small amounts of money from Dhruv. Being a habitual drinker most of it was spent on booze and it was never returned back. That day when Dhruv came from office, his neighbor requested for some money, promising he’ll repay it as soon as possible. He said his mother has a medical emergency. Dhruv was stubborn in his stand and didn’t lend him money that day.

Next day Dhruv woke up to a loud noise from neighboring house. From the loud voices, he was able to make out that the man and his wife was fighting for money. When Dhruv returned back from office he found his street was chaotic. Police jeep was parked in the street and an ambulance was parked next to neighboring house. He learnt that his neighbor has committed suicide when his wife has visited the market that evening. Looks like he took this step when he wasn’t be able to gather enough money for his mother’s medical expenses. It was evident from Dhruv’s body language that he is feeling guilty and responsible for the neighbor’s death.

Time listened patiently to Dhruv. ‘Now close your eyes Dhruv. You will be transported back in time.…’ see whether it changes things.

Dhruv closed his eyes and everything went dark around him. When he opened his eyes he heard knock on his door. His neighbor was waiting there asking for money. Though Dhruv knew it will not be returned he gave as the case appeared genuine.

Next day when Dhruv returned back from office he found his street was chaotic. His neighbor has committed suicide as he wasn’t able to gather enough money for his mother’s medical expenses. He learnt that his neighbor has lost the money he borrowed in drunken brawl.

T: ‘Open your eyes ,Dhruv’ said the voice. Dhruv looked up confused.

D: ‘So does it mean irrespective of my action, my neighbor would have…’

T:‘Yes Dhruv. You took a stand for a reason. He had been borrowing money from you without the intent of repaying it. Anyone in your position would have denied it. You have nothing to do with his death.’

D: ‘I couldn’t believe this..’

T: ‘I know it’s difficult to come to terms with it Dhruv. You have to accept that you play a miniscule part in this complex world. Your actions may not have impact in few person’s life and you have absolutely no control over it. You took a rational decision that day and don’t feel emotional for it. Drop all these heaviness. Past belongs to past Dhruv’ the voice said

D: ‘Why do you want to time travel if past belongs to past. ‘

T: ‘To help someone see the past as past. Dhruv, you cannot go forward if your strings are attached to it. Break free and travel light to future.’ The voice advised.

D: ‘You mean to help me?’

His voice echoed back and he didn’t receive any response.

D:’Time are you there?’ he shouted.

It was then he heard some noise outside. On investigation from his balcony he found out that person in the opposite house was fighting with his neighbor over car parking. Automatically his eyes went to his neighbor’s house which was still vacant. Strangely he didn’t feel guilty.

He picked up the morning newspaper to check the advertisement again and surprisingly he couldn’t find any such thing printed. He pulled his laptop to check the chat history when he heard a familiar voice saying

‘You can’t find me Dhruv. Don’t search in vain. Remember that past belongs to past and travel light.’

kaniths, GoneGirl, HazelPup and 12 others like this.
  2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello BB

Beautiful story. Past is past you cannot travel back and change it. Best thing is to forget what happened in the past and move forward. Many of us keep this heaviness in our heart and spoil even the future.
    Once time gone cannot be got again.

sindmani and teenulahari like this.
  3. teenulahari

teenulahari Gold IL'ite

Wow BB u have great imagination skills. I always wonder the way u put so much of essence in a short story. I mean at first it appears to be a small story but later after completion of reading we readers end up with a good message. Thank u so much for another worthy story.
    Love
    Teenu.

4. blackbeauty84

Thank you mam. True..many of us have some or other heaviness in our heart which spoils the future.

Arunarc likes this.
  5. blackbeauty84

Thank You teenu for the compliments.

6. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

This is definitely a very wonderful snippet. Few things are meant to happen that way and we cannot fix everything in the world!
    --PS

7. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Nice short story.
    Such a wonderful message... loved it

8. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Lovely story BB, just what i needed to get over a low mood today..thank you!