1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Back Darts For Kurti

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by wish4miracle, Aug 1, 2017.

1. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    i am a beginner in sewing. i am trying to stitch a simple kurti, have taken measurements from a stitched kurti. i have considered exact measurements with extra only for seam allowance and adjustments. i have cut the fabric as per my measurements.

now i want to try back darts in the kurti. For one to stitch back dart, do we need to consider it before cutting the fabric as it might require extra measurements? i assume back dart is to give a refine shape at the waist, if so can i just add dart only to back side? will it look too tight at the back? (like pulling at the back and the front will have extra fabric as we dint do any dart there, shifting side lines to back)

any inputs would help. thanks.

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

you can add those even to hand-me-down garments that are previously worn by someone larger than you.
    I would advice you to get some dart patterns and see if you can use them. Many of the "very fitted" tops (blouses, kurthis) you see on movie stars have curvy darts as well. Try simple ones first, before you go to curves.

Use google to learn about the technique.

wish4miracle likes this.
  3. Mmaaee

Mmaaee New IL'ite

Hi...
    In reply to your "For one to stitch back dart, do we need to consider it before cutting the fabric as it might require extra measurements"...
    I advise not to give extra fabric if after wearing a dartless dress that you measured and stitched .... but gives a loose fitting at the back. You can give a 1/2 inch dart to L&R back. In order to do this, wear the dress INSIDE OUT ... i.e. wrong side of dress should be outside. Now ask someone to fix a safety pin by gathering the excess fabric ... until you are comfortable with the fit. Remove the dress ... fold at centre, mark the darts at the points you fixed the pin on one side. Then adjust the second pin giving the same distance from centre AND from shoulder to waist line (measure this length as per the first pin). Mark the darts ande sew.

For your next project you mark the dart pounts while drafting the pattern.

Remember to sew the darts first before joining the side seams. This will be easy.

Trust this helps.
    Good luck :wave:

wish4miracle and Amica like this.
  4. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Silver IL'ite

Thank you ladies @Nonya & @Mmaaee, made dart points on waist line L&R half inch before attaching the side seams. Idea of marking dart points for already stitched ones is fabulous. i will try this in future

i will try the curvy ones once i get to used to straight ones. i am so naive that i cant even put a proper straight top stitch. anyways, thanks again for the help much needed.