Bachelor's from india from a non accredited college

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by inertia2009, Aug 20, 2011.

1. inertia2009

inertia2009 Junior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am in a huge problem and hope somebody can help me out here. I have a bachelors from India(3 year degree). I wanted to sit for the CPA exam(California board) and when i got my transcripts evaluated they said my college in India was not an accredited one. I am literally struck now as i cannot apply for my masters or for the CPA exam. I wanted to apply for my MAsters to get enough credits to sit for the CPA exam and now i cannot do anything only because of the reason that my college was not an accredited one. Can anyone help me with this situation. I am totally devastated and depressed, don't know what to do? I was also looking at online Master's program, but again most of them are rejecting me because this reason.

Please help!!!!

Thanks.

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

What accreditation are you talking about? AACSB? Typically, no school in India has the AACSB accreditation(for Acctg/CPA) as yet and I know a lot of women who did completed bachelor's degree in india and even completed the CPA in US.
    BUT,If you mean you studied from a college that did not have any approval or a black listed university then I guess, your only option is to redo your bachelor's degree here in US.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I used to be a higher ed administrator and at least at the institution where I worked, degrees from India transferred in as three years of college study. Most institutions require that you do at least two years in order to get their diploma so this means that you would have to do another two years to get a USA degree and then go from there. You might check local colleges that will accept your courses and go from there. Talk to an international admissions counselor at a college/univ near you if needed.

4. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The term college is used differently in USA than British system usage. In USA a college is not an indication of quality but of size....normally a liberal arts institution conferring a bachelors of science or arts degree. There are many top institutions that are colleges, with many preprofessional programs amongst other programs. A universaity here is normally very large with colleges within it and conferring graduate degrees. A four year college is often chosen (in addition to the program) for its lower student to teacher ratio and increased personal attention.