1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby's complexion and antibiotics-is there any connection?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by aparna111, Jan 22, 2013.

1. aparna111

aparna111 New IL'ite

my baby was born very fair and pinkish.he was the same till he was 6 months old.from 6 months he got all problems like cold, fever, wheezing, cough,diarrhea and pneumonia.he was hospitalized two times one in 6th month and then in 7th month.till today he is suffering from cold and wheezing.we are showing him to a ped who is very very good but that doctor always prescribes very high dose antibiotic medicines and antibiotic injections.my son suffered a lot in the two times hospitalization with lot of nebulisations and IV's.he has also got antibiotic injections.he is now 11 months old.he has to take medicines everyday and use inhaler everyday for wheezing till he is 1 year old.from 6th month till 11 months now my baby has started losing colour. he was pink till 6 months now he has lost the colour. he is fair now but not very fair.this happened from 6 months only.
    1.the elders in my family are saying that my baby lost the color and weight because i am giving him too many antibiotics.they say antibiotics can lose babys colour and the fairness cannot be regained.is there any truth in this?
    2.when he was 2 months old i took him out in the sun one full day.some people are saying that baby should not be taken in sun till 6 months old.i took him out that is also one reason why he lost colour.even this colour cant be regained. is there any truth in this?
    3.why my baby's body is not fair like his face?is it like that in all babys. his bum is very dark.why?

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How fair are you and your DH? The fairness of the baby depends on genetics. Babies are born pink and their true color sets after some time.

1. Antibiotics have side effects. So talk to your paed regarding the side effects.
    2. My paed encouraged me to keep the baby in sunlight (not direct) daily for 10 minutes for Vit D. If it is just tan, then the original color can be regained.
    3. Even my DD's face is more fair compared to the rest of her body.

3. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

I am sorry to say but how do you say if he /she is good doctor if they prescribe High dose of anitbiotics

My Kids have asthma and take nebuliser too but it doesnot affect the complexion .In countires liek US due asthma eczema will trggger but it will not change teh skin colour .Please re think and consult another dr .babies complexion is not imporatnt but druigging the child more than required is more harmful and willd isrupt his immune system more than you think .Try to consult another Doctor and for Wheezing try Homeopathy

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@lochu I do agree with you about the drugging effect. But it is quite common in India to give several medicines at once. Doctors prescribe antibiotics unlike in US. When I asked my friends relative (who is a pediatrician in a famous hospital) about giving antibiotics for everything, he said this: the environment in India sometimes feeds infection. So unless you give antibiotics, the infection does not completely go away but just subsides. During our visit to India with DD, she fell sick. i tried giving her the usual stuff like here. But it did not work. Only a course of antibiotics (different doctor) did the trick. But of course each doctor is different.