Baby shower ideas

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by vksanju123, Jun 21, 2006.

1. sima

sima New IL'ite

Re: baby shower - valagappu

What is the difference between valaikappu and seemandham? I know valaikappu is bangles function. I thought both are the same.

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Sima, Mrs.Chitvish has a detailed explanation of how both the festivities are done in the religious forum. In short valaikaapu is more a social event, so one need not be too strict about dates, month etc. But seemantham is a religious event where the priest does some rituals so more stringent rules are followed. One can also do them combined and as previously mentioned they would be done in even months.

-L.

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

This is what Chitvish has to say about valakappu and seemantham (Its in tamil, hope you can read). This really depends on which community you belong to as in many comunities there is no seemantham, only a valakappu. Ask your mother/MIL abt what is usually done in your family.

Vanathi.

4. sima

sima New IL'ite

Thanks ladies.

I read the post. Wow! Nice information.:)

5. deepasai

deepasai New IL'ite

baby shower

hi everyone,
    i am 19 weeks pregnant.
    we are planning for a baby shower on this weekend.
    we invited almost 50 - 60 parties.
    i never know how to manage such a big party ,because i never used too..
    does any one give some ideas about decorating ideas, and function needs(i have bangles and kumkum etc)i am preparing 5 kinds of snacks and 5 fruits..
    and how should i dress, oforse i wear saree..but any special tips to present myself more special .
    And i am planning to conduct some games too ..because most the party members are my relatives ,could you sggest some thing regarding this.
    And one more information needed ..
    i am looking for a baby portraits or some pictures to keep in my bedroom.where can i get in us .i mean which shop .
    hope i can get quick answers ..becaus eits comiing near:coffee

6. deepasai

deepasai New IL'ite

Re: baby shower

oh..i didn't get not even a single reply .
    i have a lot of hopes on your support.
    plz suggest me:)

7. Nov09baby

Nov09baby Senior IL'ite

Congratulations !
    well I'm sure you'll have lot of fun. Here are somethings I can think of.
    - Don't try to do everything by yourself as you'll get tired by the time party starts.
    - Do you know if you are having a boy or girl ? If yes then you can choose pink/blue based on the gender and decorate accordingly. You get many balloons, decoration items with Its a boy/ Its a girl, Baby shower themes. Even dollar stores have lot of stuff. Even if you donno the gender of your baby you can get Its a surprise decoration stuff :)
    You can use the same color theme for party plates, cake if you are planning to have one
    You also get some return gifts at these stores.

- You can google for shower games and you'll get many ideas
    some are guests choosing a name for the baby, baby items jumbled and guests have to guess the right words, husband and you tasting and guessing baby food flavors etc.
    I would say it will be nice if a close friend or a relative organizing these games will be a better idea than you doing it.
    You can also play some music.

Regarding dressing up, maybe you and your DH can color co-ordinate your dresses. If you have some time, apply mehendi and wear lot if bangles. Pregnancy would have already made you glow and you'll look special but these might add more attraction.
    Also request someone to take pics of the entire event.
    Hope these tips help.
    Have a great party!

8. NandiniGG

NandiniGG Silver IL'ite

Party city have lots of good baby shower decoration stuff.you can check online also.there are web sites also where you can buy baby shower decoration stuff,invitation cards and favors etc.
    type baby shower and baby shower ideas in google.

9. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Congrats on your pregnancy!
    baby shower can be a lot of fun and be careful not to overexert yourself. There are a lot of forums on the web with shower ideas and advice. I would suggest asking your friend/ friends to host it for you. Ask someone to take responsibility and plan it out accordingly. Traditionally baby showers are thrown by the would be mother's friends but I guess there's no harm in throwing one for yourself. But as I said ask someone to come over and help you out with the preparations or it might get too tiring for you. I just had mine last week. It was thrown by my friends who planned out the games and decorations. I took care of the food/drinks and cleaning and setting up the place etc but even that proved to be too much for me as I ended up falling sick the next day. I guess things are different for me as I am in my 8th month now.
    Here's a rough plan-

1) select a theme- easier if you know your baby's gender so you could have a neutral theme.
    2) Think about some baby shower games- there are many on the web.
    3) Think about some cute baby shower favors for the quests.

That's more or less it!

take care
    Deepa

10. deepasai

deepasai New IL'ite

thank you guys,
    now i got some idea .
    :thumbsup