1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

baby not gaining weight

Discussion in 'Infants' started by priyaa1306, Nov 2, 2015.

1. priyaa1306

priyaa1306 New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    My 2.5 months old baby is not gaining weight. Her birth weight was 3 kgs. And after 2.5 months, she is only 3.3 kgs(only breastfeeding). Have consulted 2 doctors. Both are saying there is nothing to worry and baby will gain weight. But this keeps me worrying. She is active and sleeps.for 10 hrs a day
    Please suggest What else can i do to help my baby gain weight? Is this normal?

2. Kavirajesh

Kavirajesh Silver IL'ite

Hi priya,

First of all you should be relaxed and happy now! your are a new mom! be excited. It is normal for a baby to lose some weight after birth its nothing to worry. Your milk is only food for your lo. You have to eat healthy foods so that your baby can get all the nutrition from you. Drink milk 3 times a day and eat lots of fruits and veggies. Ask your gyn to give you some prenatal vitamins.
    Simple tip from my MIL : Soak channa(White) overnight and morning eat it.
    Be calm and enjoy your motherhood :)

3. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Hello,

Do you keep switching breasts while feeding your LO?? Some new moms feel pain in their nipples (or back pain) while feeding, and change breasts quickly. Please don't do that.

Since your baby is only 2.5 mnths old, give her sufficient time on one breast and then change her. There is a scientific explanation for this. At first, as soon as the baby latches, the first milk which comes out is sweet and a bit watery. Later, the Hind Milk which has higher fat content comes after a few mins. This will help the baby gain more weight.

Do keep this in mind while feeding her. You can start with alternate breasts for every feed. I used to pin a baby-safety pin on my feeding shirt on left or right to remember which breast my LO fed on the previous time.

Babies grow in spurts. Dont worry, one month, she may not grow much, but in another month, she may gain significantly.

Congratulations, and keep up with the breast feeding. Do not succumb to starting her on bottle feeding just to help her gain weight, now that both of you are comfortable; breast feeding has far more benefits than just weight gain.

All the best, hug and squish her one more time from me :)

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I had the habit of bf my youngest in a chair having the laptop on the armrest, if fed from right breast the laptop to the left and vice versa. So I could always check from the position of the laptop from which I fed last time :D.

But good suggestions. My son did not gain weight when he was 1-2 months old. I then dropped all stressing things from my life and basically spent a few weeks in bed with the baby. Feeding and feeding and resting in between. Once per day went out for a walk with the baby. Kept my phone on silent, informed my friends and family that I am now not available. I started to produce milk (basically felt like a cow), my baby enjoyed the closeness and also that it milk was coming everytime he even said a small noise. When went for his third month check his weight was back on normal track.

5. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Definitely not normal.

Just 300gm in 2.5 months is not correct.
    If the child active otherwise, need to check whether the weighing scale is recalibrated and need to use the same one for weighing scale. The trend ( centile) as shown by growth chart is important.
    Have you shown to paediatrician.

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

At 2.5 months your child needs more sleep. The first thew months the kids need about 20 hours of sleep.
    That apart if the doctor says it is OK, don't stress too much. As long as your child is happy and producing enough wet and dirty nappies, everything is fine.

If you stress out your stress hormones will be present in the milk whig isn't good for the baby. So relax and takerest and make yourself happy. Your child is thriving g

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What was her lowest weight?
    How many feeds does she have daily?

8. priyaa1306

priyaa1306 New IL'ite

Thanks kavi for ur tip.

9. priyaa1306

priyaa1306 New IL'ite

Her lowest weight was 2.8. Nearly 12 times a day.