1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby does not latch properly

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Bes, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Bes

Bes Silver IL'ite

My baby is 8 days old and is having severe issues latching on. Initially, the doctor suggested to keep trying and not give her formula at all. I followed the advice and my baby ended up being dehydrated and was hospitalized. She had jaundice and IV fluids were given to her. I brought her home yesterday. Again my baby is having difficulty latching. Doctor suggested to give formula after trying my breast every time. The problem is she doesn't drink my milk at all. She simply keeps her mouth and does not suck at all. I extracted milk and fed her followed by formula. She drinks the extracted milk but I am afraid if this continues I may produce lesser and lesser milk. I do not know what to do!! Please let me know your suggestions.

Worried,
    Bes.

2. Viiksha

Viiksha Silver IL'ite

Bes ,
    i can understand your problem..its painful...
    though i dont know why baby is not latching properly..i want to give some suggestion..
    Pls dont bottle feed , if she gets used to bottle..she wont be able to suck from ur breats..
    give with spoon..keep near ur breasts every hourly..she may learn it..
    which paed u r visiting in bangalore now?

3. Bes

Bes Silver IL'ite

Hi Viiksha,

Its been 13 days and my Baby is having difficulty latching even now. I use a spoon to give formula milk supplements. She now manages to latch when using a nipple shield but not other wise. She takes a very long time feeding (almost 2 hours) be it my milk or formula. I keep givng her my breasts and havent stopped trying.
    I really dont know what to do.

I am currently visiting Dr Dinesh Barur from Columbia Asia, Hebbal.

Bes.

4. KAME

KAME Silver IL'ite

Hi bes,

I know, Its a very difficult situation as my baby was also given a tough time to latch from me.. i have not at all given her formula and i have extracted and given her with spoon.. then slowly i made her to latch thru nipple shield on 6th day after birth.. after a week i made her to latch directly... so keep trying.. dont ever introduce bottle feed.. hugs to u dear and all the best...

reg / ka