1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Cries And Wakes Up In The Middle Of Night

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ILUser07, Jul 15, 2016.

1. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

My 9 month baby who co-sleeps with us start waking up in the middle of the night crying. He starts moving restlessly, rubs his eyes and starts crying.
    Tried the following but it is happening every night since 3 weeks.
    Method 1 : I try to pat him and he pushes me away. If i pick him up to soothe, he pushes me and keeps crying without opening his eyes. If my DH or MIL takes him, he doesn't stop crying. But if I take from them, he calms down and sleeps back.
    Method 2 : I nurse him and he sleeps in 2 mins. The problem is I am not getting any milk at all. He just wants to pacify by sucking on. Not sure if this becomes habbit. I am not interested to start using pacifier at this age.

First of all, I am not sure why he is waking up and crying. He cries uncontrollably and I feel so bad as he is a happy baby otherwise. No diaper rash, gas or other issues I can sense. His first tooth started coming out 2 weeks back and it still has a bit more to go.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@ILUser07-
    Hi
    I have a baby around the same age group.Your baby cries coz he is hurting while he is teething. They need to be pacified, coz of the teething pain.
    Around 9th month- babies are quite attached to mothers, they don't want to be with anyone. ( Mine does the same thing of not going with my H when he is crying)

Have you tried giving your baby formula, when he cries?
    Try teething toys. You can keep some in the refrigerator, the coolness will make the gum feel ok. Not sure, if they will be ok with teething toys when he wakes up during his sleep time.

I am just gonna share my experience-
    I have teething toys- but my son is very picky and he doesn't use them, as often I want him to use.
    I give my baby a pacifier. My baby uses the pacifier when he is about to sleep. I check on him several times during the night. I don't see him use the pacifier. He uses it if he wakes up and is struggling to sleep.
    My DS sleeps at around 7:30ish PM and wakes up 5:30 AM :sweat::sweat: every day.
    Most of the days this is the sleeping schedule... but on certain days.. he does have bad nights, where he needs an extra feeding.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  3. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

My DS too used to do exactly the same thing when he was of around that age. It would not happen every night but once a week or so. I guess it is a phase and will pass.

I used to pick him immediately when he cries and walk around. He does not even open his eyes for a while and then it takes a few mins to calm and eventually he will sleep.

4. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

Hi OP! Looks like it's teething trouble.
    What is your reservation about the comfort nursing , are you worried that it might become a habit? Comfort nursing is a natural response for your baby at this time, and breastmilk is quite soothing too. Even if you are unable to pump any breastmilk you maybe producing some still that he's getting by nursing.
    You can also try some teething gel for the night..
    If you talk to your pediatrician, they could advise you some low dose painkillers for a couple of days to help your baby through this phase : if this bothers you a lot.

On a side note : @blindpup10 How do you manage to cook etc if your son wakes up at 5:30?!! (Sorry OP, I had to ask, don't mean to hijack your thread:grazy:..)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Anu3sree and blindpup10 like this.
  5. blindpup10

@Bubbles
    5:30 to 6 my DS will be awake talking/babbling in the crib.. I have some toys in the crib.At around 6 we place him in activity seat and rhymes until I give him his first feed usually around 6:30. It's frustrating but that's his schedule.. Haven't been able to change it.

6. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Though its easy for me to just let him nurse, I am worried it might develop into a habbit as I know he is not getting any milk. That's the same reason why I didn't introduced a pacifier.

Can you guys suggest me some good teethers. I am surprised to see so many in store. Totally confused.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  7. blindpup10

@ILUser07 -
    Yes, nursing during teething phase can become a habit. My friend's son who is 2 1/2 year old waits for his mother to come home to be nursed. The habits picked up during teething can persist. So I have heard.
    As I have introduced the pacifier to my son at 4 weeks. He used it to sooth himself until 4th month. And he gave up pacifier completely from 4-7 months. He never used it.. not even to sleep/sooth.
    Now he uses pacifier only when he about to fall asleep.
    I limit the pacifier usage only for bedtime and when he is in the activity chair( when he is alone). During his playtime I give him teething toys.

I will share what I bought.. It took several days for my DS to like it.. Even now he is very picky about teething toys.
    Amazon.com : Baby Buddy Baby's 1st Toothbrush Stage 4 for Babies/Toddlers, Kids Love Them, Blue : Childrens Toothbrushes : Baby - This is a teething toothbrush- MY DS loves it.
    Amazon.com : Nuby Icybite Hard/Soft Teething Keys : Baby Shape And Color Recognition Toys : Baby teething keys ( I can keep it in fridge and give it) Currently my DS hates it
    Amazon.com : Nuby Wacky Teething Ring : Baby Teether Toys : Baby Teething ring
    He likes this one

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-First-Teether-Giraffe/dp/B00FNJ7C7M/ref=pd_sim_75_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=415QkkCpUaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123,160_&psc=1&refRID=1EYK4PTHA2FEWPQN7HZS - Teether loves it
    Planning to buy these- Coz DS will be teething for awhile

Amazon.com : Nuby Chewbies Silicone Teether, Colors May Vary : Baby Teether Toys : Baby
    Amazon.com : TEDO Baby Massage Soothe Teething Teeth Fruit Molar Teether Toys for Infant and Toddler BPA Free 100% Safe Soft Chewy Material 3.5 Inches (Set of 4, Cherry Pineapple lemon Strawberry ) : Baby

My suggestion buy some wide variety.. Your DS may take a liking or may not. But try to associate him to chew on the teething toys when he feels the pain/ cranky.
    MY DS likes anything shaped nipple for a teething toys.. with rest he took time to like it/use it.

OP- Share what you decided to buy.. Maybe I will try it too.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  8. blindpup10

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  9. nishakapoor1231

nishakapoor1231 New IL'ite

10. ritz1

ritz1 Bronze IL'ite

I had same problem when my son was around 9-10 months. So whenever i woke up in the night i use to feed him ( formula milk) i.e. after every 2-3 hours and change his diaper twice and it worked in my case.:relieved::relieved::relieved::relieved: