1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Care During Weather Change - A Quick Read

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by priyabaghel, Jan 31, 2017.

1. priyabaghel

priyabaghel Silver IL'ite

We have often seen that weather changes bring along number of allergies and we are more susceptible to fall ill. When adults are down with flu in every seasonal change, babies are bound to fall ill considering their not so grown immune system. The little ones suffer from cold, cough, fever, rashes and what not, which leaves the new parents wondering exactly what needs be done. Caring for a sick baby is such a daunting task. It’s easier to make some changes and be prepared for the climatic changes beforehand. Children do fall sick, especially in their first year of life as they experience every season for the first time.

I thought it would be helpful for the parents like me, if I pen down my experiences. There are certain things that I follow, which helps in the long run. So go ahead, take a read.

These certain things needs to be followed despite the season. For me they are the foundation of good habits.

• Breastfeed your baby. Exclusively breastfeeding your baby for at least first 6 months and continuing for at least two years is a great healthy start to your baby's life. Breastmilk contains antibodies which protects the baby to a larger extent.
    • Dress appropriately according to the weather. It is a misnomer that babies should always be in woolens, caps and should be covered all the time. Well, they are man cubs. They feel exactly how we feel. Over dressing at times may lead to prickly heats or other discomforts.
    • Eat a well-balanced diet. If your baby has started on solids, ensure that the the baby gets all the required nutrients from the food. Eating a balanced diet which comprises of all the vitamins and minerals prepares the baby's immune system to combat diseases.
    • Bathing the baby should be done while maintaining the room temperature. Room must not be cold or too airy.
    • Maintaining a basic hygiene around the baby goes a long way. Avoid coughing and sneezing around the baby. Wash hands frequently.
    • Clean baby's toys at regular intervals. Babies learn by mouthing everything, so we cannot stop them. Hence cleaning the toys should be a regular ritual until the baby grows up.
    Despite your best efforts, it is normal for a baby to fall sick. Hence every season calls for different preparations.

Winters calls for deep moisturisation. Baby's skin is susceptible to dry patches during winters. Using a good moisturizer is very important. Also, Babies don't get dirty as we, so limiting the bath few times in a week is a good idea. Too much exposure to water will dry out the skin anyway. You can also use a humidifier in the room.

Dress the little one in layers. Add or remove according to the weather. Keep him close, cuddle and snuggle. That will keep him lovingly warm.

Summers are tricky. Babies will need to adjust according to the temperature just like in the winters. Baby's diet play a crucial role during summers. They need to be well hydrated. Clothing should be loose and comfortable. Summer is also the time for prickly heats. Keeping the room cool and airy and comfortable clothing provides a great relief. Light coloured clothing is preferred during summers. Viral infections are there throughout out the year and summer is no exception. Maintaining basic hygiene, Breastfeeding on demand and light clothing is all you need to get past the summers.

The monsoons are usually very welcoming after a hot summer. But that also brings along water clogged roads, Mosquitoes and varieties of diseases, be it airborne or waterborne. The weather in monsoons is so unpredictable. Dressing up the baby in light but full clothes to avoid mosquito bites is what I would advise. Whenever in doubt, always remember that babies need only one extra layer of clothing than adults. Look for baby's cues and you will understand what exactly the baby wants. If you are giving water, make sure you give boiled water. Insects are a menace which I personally dread during monsoons and especially with a little one in the house, I look for various options to make my home insect free.

I enjoy rains as long as I don't have to go to work. So this coming monsoon, we plan to sit by the window side and feel tiny drops of rains on our palms, with of course all the hygiene being taken care of.

So apart from the diseases, all the weathers brings an immense sense of happiness. I would enjoy an ice-cream in the summers, sail boats in monsoons and probably be stuck inside a blanket in winters (well, that tops the list of favourite things to do). How much ever we fret over making all things perfect, babies do fall ill. After all, falling ill also makes their immune system stronger. Following little simple steps will ensure that you do not see repetitive instances of illnesses.

And lastly, it is important to enjoy all that nature has to give us and also make our little one appreciate the small little things. Because when we grow up, we realize how good were those days when we sailed paper boats in the muddled water and splash it all around. So be safe and keep appreciating the small little things around you!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018
    sindmani and Suja9 like this.

2. sonishah32

sonishah32 Junior IL'ite

Monsoons & Baby Care against Mosquitoes

With the onset of rains, we feel a sigh of relief from this scorching heat at the same time we are worried about the mosquitoes that will start flying in every corner of our homes. This is the most troubling issue of weather change. Kids and babies are more prone to mosquito bites. Using effective and long lasting mosquito repellent surely helps.
    1. Mosquito Coils
    2. Fabric Roll-On
    3. Patches
    4. Skin-Cream
    5. Sprays

These are some effective methods of killing and repelling mosquitoes and staying protected against the diseases spreading through mosquito-bite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018
  3. Kanimozhij

Kanimozhij New IL'ite

Taking special care of your child during monsoon is necessary. Always provide them healthy, fresh and warm food. Keep their living rooms and dresses dry to prevent infections. If the kid is having symptoms of cold or fever, take them immediately to child doctors near your place.