1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby bath

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vatsi, Dec 15, 2005.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

re: Baby baths - equipment, techniques, tips...

Hmm will look for it, tnx

2. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

bathing a new born

Hi friends,
    I m a second time mom but my first one was born in India.So I had a nanny for all the work. I started giving bath to my daughter when she was 4 mths. Now i m worried how to handle a new born. How to give bath.
    I ll buy a bath tub but any tips on bathing baby are welcomed.
    Pls tell me in detail what n how all of u are doing.
    I m expecting a baby in dec.
    waiting for replies.

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: bathing a new born

Congratulations, perfectly_perfect!! Is your Mom or MIL going to visit you and be with you for your delivery? If yes, then let them give the baby a bath for a while. That's what my mom did. She was here for two months after Riya was born and she gave her the baths, while I watched. After she left, we got a bath tub that fits in the kitchen sink and used the kitchen sprayer to give her a bath. It was real easy to do that way, and is also easy on your back. Don't worry, you'll pick up and do fine.

Check this link out on bathing your baby

If you have more questions, post your questions in that post and we'll do our best to help you out.

Raj

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi,

My midwife taught me how to bathe the baby. We did buy a small bath tub for her. Fill it with warm water and add oil (olive or almond). Close all windows in the bathroom. We got a stand to keep the little bath tub over our bath tub. Else you can keep it on the floor or dining table even, whatever is convenient. Remember to keep the towel also open and ready.

Hold the neck of the baby in your forearm. Hold her armpit with the hand of the same arm firmly so she will not wriggle much. Make sure you keep your arm in such a way that the water is not touching the baby's ear. The hair can. Then using the other hand wash the baby. I usually keep some water in a basin separately to wash the face. This is to avoid any infection from the water that we use to wash their genitals as well. I also have a seat for the bath tub but that i can use only when she can hold her head still.

When you bring the baby to the dressing/changing table, make sure to close windows in that room as well. Wrap her well in the towel, first thouroughly wipe the hair and face and then any folds in the legs and arms. Always wipe the anus and genitals in the end.

If you have any questions do ask.

Latha

5. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI latha...

u r very particulary telling close the windows in the bathroom... any reason behind that....

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Perfectly perfect,
    The first 2 weeks (until the cord falls off and the umblicus dries up) you only need to sponge the baby down - I used to put my DS on a rubber sheet and wipe him down with a towel dipped in warm water, apply a little soap over the external part of the genitals and anus, armpits, under the neck and then wipe down again with warm water. The whole thing must be done in a room with no air currents (ie. closed door, windows and fan off).
    After the cord fell off and the area healed I started with baths in a baby bath tub placed on the kitchen counter for the first week (I had a C section and didnt want to bend too much), later shifted to the bathroom floor with me sitting on a stool next to the tub. I never filled the tub with water at all - I had a bath foam mat on which I placed the baby (on the slanting end of the tub) and then holding him like Latha described I would pour warm water over his body, then soap, then water. Then water over his hair (being very careful to keep it away from his face), shampoo (1:1 diluted with water) and water. Finally wipe the face with my wet hand ( I still dont use soap or anything else on my DS's face). Then place baby on the open towel (get a hooded one) in the bedrrom (make sure room is warm with no air currents) and dry him quickly.
    Dont worry - its not as hard as it sounds!

Vanathi.

PS - Since it will be winter check with the doc regarding frequency of baths
    PPS - i am merging this with the other bathing thread

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Vahee - You need to keep doors and windows closed otherwise body heat can be lost very rapidly by convection (esp in a wet body).

V.

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Re: Baby baths - equipment, techniques, tips...

Wow, Vanathi and Latha have explained it all so well. Vanathi, I still don't use soap on Riya's face. I want to add to your note about hooded towel. I read that a baby's body heat is lost through its head, so right after the bath, I put the hood on baby's head while wrapping the baby in the towel. (I still do that).

Raj

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Vahee,

Thanks for asking that question. I didn't know why.. i simply followed what my midwife said (my german skills are very limited so in many instances i don't ask too many questions.. that's against my nature but what to do!). Vanathi has told us why.

Oh dear and i forgot to mention about the hooded towel too. Thanks Vanathi, Raj:)

In cold countries we are advised to bath the baby only once a week for the risk of dry skin and eventually eczema. I wipe her with warm cloth everyday (esp skin folds, anus, genitals). I didn't use soap on my boy's face until he was 2. In peak winter i would bath my girl only once in 2 weeks.

Latha

10. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

Dear Raj, Latha, Vanathi
    Thanks for quick reply. This is the thing I like most here. All the friends help each other as soon as possible. I have few questions... how do you guys clean the baby's back using bath tub or bathing foam . If you are not using soap on baby's face or you using some thing else, i mean to say some home made powder or besan or any thing else.
    I was not knowing earlier why do we use hooded towel but now i know about it. Thanks for sharing thatr for us.
    Thanks