1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ayurvedic medicine for Eczema

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by smart_soul, Mar 29, 2010.

1. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Yesterday was the first day I started giving Ayurvedic medicine to my DD for her eczema conditions. And yesterday her itch was unbearable and she kept crying for a long long time and no amount of consoling helped her.

Does anyone know how these ayurvedic medicines work? Do they increase the condition before decreasing it? It's a pain for the parents to see their baby suffering so much.

Also parents, except the regular care for eczema (moisturizing, no soaps only cleanser, steroid medicines etc., etc.,) have you tried some kind of medicine (ayurvedic, homeopathic etc.,)

Please share your experiences.

2. mrinals

mrinals New IL'ite

dear friend please do try this.In the natural way our body always push out all the ANYA PADHRTHAS from our body.Here its the toxins that comes out when the ayurvedic medicines are taken.You can apply VIRGIN COCONUT OIL to the affected areas and get the sun bath (from 7 to 8.30 am & from 5 to 6 pm) wash with besan then.No use of any soaps.

3. Dilchahtahai

Dilchahtahai Senior IL'ite

We tried Homeopathic medicine and though it seemed to be working for sometime, it later became ineffective (not sure why).
    I just consulted an aurvedic doctor and plan on starting DS on what he prescribed.. I do agree that the asthama medicine prescribed by this doctor helps but it makes his eczema worse (so maybe bringing the toxins out thing is correct)..
    Will let you know what we experience.

4. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Mrinals for your opinion. So how long does it take to bring the toxins out? I know it's a dumb question. But for all the cry and discomfort a 20 months old took yesterday, I almost broke down.

Also I apply coconut oil and give her bath with a cleanser (She is allergic to Besan). She is also given a topical oil (Nalpamarathi Thailam). That contains turmeric (I know because my hands and her body turns yellow when I apply the oil). That in turn dries out the skin even more.

Thank you delmommy for your reply. How long was your DS's skin worse after you started the medicine?

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I use Ayurvedic thailams and arishtams too for my 25 mnth old.I have been using it since June last yr.Within the first 2-3 weeks,I did notice an increase in itching and dryness,then it gradually subsided.Now the dryness is very little and itching too is almost gone,I can say.

It takes a long time for traditional medicines to have any effect,so be patient.Apply moisturisers like Eucerin and Aquaphor(creams) to prevent dryness and itching.Also,use Dove (original)soap,that is the best.I don't believe in cleansers.

6. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Sunitha for your reply.

Can you please tell me the name of the Thailam and Arishtam that was prescribed for your baby and the dosage for it?
    Also I just gave the med (2 out of 3 dose) for just one day and she was miserable. So didn't give it today. Will that have such a rapid effect? I thought even to show any kind of result (positive or negative) it would take some time.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

SS, I dont do any of the traditional therapies with DS. And I too see a seasonal cyclical flare up and subsiding of eczema. I dont think traditional medicines work by flaring up and then helping a condition. Traditional medicine may take a long time in working, but should never lead to a flare up.
    I dont intend scaring you here, but have you read about this case? The child got systemic infection with improperly treated eczema. I wont go down that route right now for K. Conventional medicine goes through standardisation and testing, whereas traditional medicines though rooted in many years of knowledge cannot be. Your mileage will vary and that is something that scares me. Something that worked beautifully for me - neem oil/coconut oil moisturising that I was prescribed - exacerbated DS's eczema.
    Currently, DS has a flare up, but we are off all kinds of medicines and managing with fragrance-free soaps, oatmeal bombs (you may want to try Aveeno, I use plain oatmeal soaks to alleviate itching), religious moisturising up to 10 times a day.
    Eczema is an allergic reaction to something in the body, I dont see how toxins are involved here. It is your body turning against your cells. Plain and simple auto-immune systems going haywire. Please do continue with your elimination diet and you will begin to see how things improve on its own. I know the stress you must be under, hugs for you and your child.

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Agree with Kritika on this,you will still have to follow the elimination diet process.In addition,the Ayurvedic doctor asked us to avoid citrus,tamarind(replace with tomatoes),Mango,pineapple and chocolates.

I am using:
    Khadirarishtam,Mulakadhyarishtam,Aranyathulasyadi thailam,Yashtimadhukadi thailam and Gopichandanadi Gulika.

The dosage will vary according to the condition and please check with a doctor on this.Also,the doctor said there are two types of eczema according to them-one is grey and one is red.My son has the grey category which is simpler to treat.

Kritika,the flare up does happen even if you follow the elimination diet ,I can vouch for this.

9. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Ah.. Nice to know tikka's real name.. Krithika :) Krithika, thanks for the link. Yes. I read about this case. I think the parents were too oriented and not putting their thought on the baby's welfare. But each type of treatment has it's pros and cons, I agree.

As Sunitha said elimination diet isn't helping DD at all. Also since we stopped milk(due to multiple food allergy) and started her on the new NeoCate formula, she is constipated too.

I reduced the dosage of the ayurvedic medicine to once instead of thrice as prescribed after the itch the first day of starting it. And thought I'll slowly increase the dosage.

Sunitha, I went to Kottakkal Arya VaidhyaSala and was given Aravindasavam and Seethamsu Rasa tablet (To be mixed and given) and Nalpamarathi Thailam to be applied before bathing.

10. tamilnadu

tamilnadu New IL'ite

We have been using the following for our child (since birth) for the last few years,

California Baby Calming Botanical Moisturizing Cream
    - available in 2 oz & 4 oz
    - we usually buy the 4 oz in bulk (6 or 12) online

California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo & Bodywash
    - available in 8.5 fl(uid) oz (255 ml) & 17.5 fl(uid) oz (494 ml)
    - we usually buy the 17.5 oz in bulk online

ONLINE (u can froogle)
    (look for deals ; some of them give discount when u buy the first time)
    diapers-dot-com
    vitaminlife-dot-com
    drugstore-dot-com

It was recommended to us by our family friends living in (extremely dry)
    Colorado Springs CO, Denver CO. All their children were born in Colorado
    and all had eczema since birth.

We have used it both in USA and in India. We always have one of both in
    the child's diaper bag. We massage in the cream after the child has had
    a bath/wash in warm water.

Please avoid giving bubble bath to your child.

Our child has never had eczema (but dry skin whenever we have been a little careless).

1 person likes this.