Avoiding pre-mature child birth.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by vani, Dec 4, 2005.

1. vani

vani Junior IL'ite

A friend of mine recently had a baby. However, her kid was born a few weeks before the standard 40 weeks. As we are thinking of having a baby, I would like to understand what can I do to avoid per-mature child birth. From reading other threads, I find that there are a lot of young mothers in this forum and hence thought that I can get some practical tips from them. Look forward to your advice and tips.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Avoiding pre-mature child birth

Dear Vani,
    congratulations. It is really nice to know that you are going to be a mother. I had a pre-mature baby. So I think I can share my experiences with you.
    I was 28 when I was pregnant. I was working at that time. My mother used to say that only if a woman did all the physical routine work, she will have a healthy baby and a normal birth. So I used to walk 2 km to the railway station, catch a train an go to the office. In the evening, I will finish my shopping and most of the days walk back. When my husband was there, he will drop me. But mostly I walked. I did cooking, serving food for my in-laws, sat on the floor, slept on a mattress on the floor. I just enjoyed doing all this and always used to talk to the baby inside.
    But I had lots of stress during that time due to family problems, caused by my in-laws. My husband was also no supportive of me. During the 7th month, there was lots of problems and I was heart-broken. Then I had leaking of fluid and was admitted in the hospital. After 10 days my son was born, completing only 28 weeks and weighing 1.35 kg. Looking after him etc is a long story full of anxiety, fear, hopelessness and prayers. So I shall leave it out.
    Now he is 14 year old and studying in the 9th std. There are some problems related to his early birth, but comparitively he is fine.
    So I suggest that you take your doctor's advise and do as she says. Each person's position is different and the dr. is the correct person to advice. You can listen to suggestions from other people but confirm with the dr. always.
    Wish you all the best for a normal, full term delivery and a healthy and lucky child.
    Do not brood that you may deliver early. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy.
    Talk to the child inside you, listen to good music-not film music, have positive thoughts, take good food and be happy. This will make the child more attached to you. After the child is born, sing to it always especially when putting it to sleep. You will have wonderful baby.
    All the best,
    varloo

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

premature birth

Dear Vani

My son was born at 36 weeks,that is atleast 1 month premature.He weighed 2.5 kg at birth.I had high BP and gestational diabetes during my pregnancy.Because my BP shot up around 32 weeks itself,I was admitted in the hospital for about a week to control it,then sent back home.Again after about 2 weeks,I got admitted for high BP and then after monitoring for about a week,since the BP shot to 180/110,the doctors induced pain and I had a normal delivery.My son was not treated like a premature baby since he weighed 2.5 kg.After the delivery ,I had to be in hospital for another 1 week to control my BP but my son was fine.Just like Varloo,even I had a lot of mental strain during the pregnancy period due to various reasons,but I used to walk for 30 minutes each day and I was working as well.

These days ,there is nothing to worry.Technology has made so much advancement that any problem can be treated by efficient doctors.My doctor had taken it as a challenge to make my delivery a normal one and I had one too.I used to be so tensed up all the time that my BP was never under control.So,first and foremost ,I would advise you to be calm at all times.

Secondly,everyone wants a normal delivery after 40 weeks.Nobody wants a premature birth.But sometimes,it just happens,it is not under anybody's control.
    We as human beings cannot plan everything to perfection.

Take good care of yourself during the pregnancy phase and leave the rest to God.

Cheers:thumbsup

4. Shakthi

Shakthi Senior IL'ite

Getting enough iron is important

Hello Vani,

Getting enough iron is important during pregnancy, which if deficient is one of the reasons for preterm birth. I have got to read about it many pregnancy related books and sites.

During pregnancy, your body needs more iron for your developing baby and the placenta, and to keep up with your expanding blood volume. Also it is common for most women to become iron deficient called dilution aneamia due to increasing fluids in your body during pregnancy. Hence, many practitioners advise to take iron supplement in-addition to what you can gain from your daily diet.

Iron rich foods include lean red meat, poultry, fish, lentils and other legumes, spinach, raisins and iron-fortified cereals.

Take good care, all the best for a safe normal delivery.

Best Regards,

Shakthi

5. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ladies,

I know this is a very old thread.. Let me try my luck to get some idea/help/suggestions..

My pregnancy was sailing smooth with aches/ pains which were normal during pregnancy.. During my 30w I developed lower abs pain and went to emergency and i was sent back home saying pains were normal like.. But I was not okay at all.. during 32w end my water broke and started getting pain and went to hosp and i was told that my water has broke and need to deliver baby within 24hrs.. So I have a pre-term baby now.. He is kept in NICU care and doc told they will send him home after 3.5w

We are eager to know the reason for early labour.. They have sent my placenta to lab to test why my water broke early..

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I believe that my son came early at 37 weeks because I was indulging in too many physical activities. I had gestational diabetes that was well controlled with medication but do not think that's what caused it. I took up swimming in week 34 and I think the strain of the extra activity caused my waters to break in week 37 itself. So I woulkd advise you to take as much rest as possible in the last 8 weeks of pregnancy.

7. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Will strain cause early water break???? I assume this as one reason but also infections may cause early water break too..

I travelled a lot starting from 4th month onwards in bus & trains... Also, was working late in office also.. is this the reason? I still have no clue why water broke too early.. :spin

8. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Anitha,
    i read somewhere that if you had urinary infection , there are chances that your water may break at an early stage during pregnancy.

9. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

I think physical exertion and stress are the primary culprits- at least in my case.

I went into preterm labor at 32 weeks, however the doctors and emergency nurses were able to use medication to prevent labor. I was on bed rest till 36 weeks. At 36 weeks the doctors said that there is not much to be gained by continuing the medication and I stopped taking it. 3 days dd was born.

Next time around I will not be so obsessive about household chores.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Yes Anitha stress can cause the premature delivery. Moresoever, it is if you are mentally stressed not your body then it can happen.
    My water bag broke too, but at 38 weeks, but I was very careful right from the start travelled by taxi only, didn't overeat, didn't overexercise, didn't have any other complications etc. In case you are short statured and the baby has no place to grow sometimes even that can be a problem. May be Rithik wanted to come out early for all you know :)

Don't worry now that you have already delivered. You can join us on the Infants section may be we will be able to guide you.