Average salary in Singapore

Discussion in 'New to Singapore' started by arpit316, Jan 16, 2012.

1. arpit316

arpit316 New IL'ite

Want would be avg salary for IT Sales (Software sales) guy in Singapore with 5 years in exp. i am from India.
    i have no idea on the salaries/cost of living in Singapore.
    i am married with no kids.

2. indianlover

indianlover New IL'ite

Hi there, Im a nurse here in singapore. born and breed. I would say, it really depends on where u work. Its not easy finding a job here. If you are planning to work here, and you are not in singapore yet, I would strongly suggest you to find a job before you come over or if u have a recommendation, make sure it is something trustable and u have more that 70% chance of getting it. I can tell u on average it should be SGD 2000 and it might increase progressively. Cost of living in singapore is definitely on the high side. If you are planning to stay here, you will need to either rent a room in a flat or a entire flat. a room rent can cause up to $300 a month or even more. depends on the location and the facility you are entitle too. An entire flat can cause up to $1000 a month. If you are intending to bring your family over as well, like a migrate or smth, be sure to have a job and an earning of min $2000 and also a PR (permant resident) if not its gonna be hard on u. Sorry, but it would be best i dont paint a beautiful picture to u about my country. There are ofcouse many good things here, like the govt. a safe, clean country. easily accessible transportation. Proper education system etc. If you would like to come over as a family, all you have to worry about is 2 things, a stable and good income providing job as well as your status as not a Permanent resident.

3. arpit316

arpit316 New IL'ite

thanks, so something between 2K-3K for a couple with a flat should be fine ... i am giving interviews for singapore location, just wanted to have a fair bit of idea, any more suggestion would be appreciated !

4. indianlover

indianlover New IL'ite

Yes it should be fine! do drop me a pm if you have any questions. secondly, make sure you have a place to stay before you come here. thirdly, is your wife going to be a homemaker if she is going to stay with you here? If she is, then i will strongly suggest for u to come here first, check things out then bring your wife down. 90% of singaporean live in flats. and i presume for a start you will have to live in a flat and getting an entire flat to both of you can be not possible for a start! Most likely, you will have to stay in a room, in a flat. i can tell you that, if your wife is going to stay there in just a room, it can be a little difficult for her. If u can come down first and see for yourself how things are here, then bring your wife, it would be great! Everything are juch suggestion that im giving through experience from seeing issues foreigners face here.

5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi arpit,

You said you are is IT sales with 5 yrs exp, then your sal should be slightly higher than 2 -3 k, do look for something over 4.5k+. if you are good at what you do, IT is a booming industry, and you will defiently get a good pay to start with. With all due respect to Indianlover, i am sorry to say that getting a whole flat for 1000k would be very difficult. a 2 bedroom appartment will range from 1500 - 2500k depending on the area, and also masterbed rooms are anywhere from 700 - 1200k also depends on the area. You will only be able to find common room for 300-500.

Please do not settle for a lower pay with any agency/consultants as they charge way up high from the client and once you start with a low pay the hike will be far to limited. Do make enquires from any of your friends, relatives or ex-collegues if they are here.

As indianlover suggested, it will be a good idea to get a job and then shift over here. there are a lot of indian IT compaines here, like satyam, hcl and also wipro, ibm etc, you can try getting a job in india for their sg branch and then shift over.

All the best :)

2 people like this.
  6. Hyral

Hyral Gold IL'ite

Hi
    I am married and my husband has got offer in Singapore Investment Bank. I'll brief about him. Can you please suggest what can be best salary provided to his job profile in Singapore?

What would be salary for Sr. Software Engineer currently working one of the India’s leading Investment Bank, as a Senior Manager, primarily in UNIX, PERL, Sybase/Oracle, Python, HTML and JavaScript with an extensive knowledge of Software Development Lifecycle.as Manager in Investment Bank in India.
    Relevant Experience - 7.5 years
    In india his CTC is 15.3lacs(PA)

What can be expected salary in Singapore?
    What will be cost of living there, I'll be moving with him if he decides on moving to Singapore.
    Am working as QA software engineer with 2.5 yrs of experience. What are the chances of me getting job there , once I move with him in Singapore.
    At what rent can we get 1bhk flat. I and my DH would be living alone so 1bhk should be enough. How about 2bhk flat rent.
    Please brief me on this.

Can you please guide what all points we should consider before deciding upon this offer.
    Currently they are offering him 6000SGD which we feel is low looking to cost of living and more over salary provided to Relevant 7 yrs of exp in IT.

Would need ur opinion on same.
    Thanks

7. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Hi Hyral

You've mentioned your DH has got a job in an investment bank in Singapore. May i know if its a permanent role or a contract position (through a consultant)? If contract, the pay of 6K seems fair enough for 7 yrs exp.

If its a direct role with the bank, you should be asking for more, definitely around 7.5 - 8.5 K range.

Rent of flat, depends on area you are looking at. On average a 2BHK HDB flat should cost around 1800 - 2500. A 2BHK condo would cost you 2500 K and upwards. Difference between 1BHK and 2BHK is a few hundreds, as far as i know.

About your job, yes you can definitely look for job after coming here. Its possible to work on the Dependant Pass(DP) itself, once you getter a Letter of Consent from MOM. However, most employers / consultants will sponsor the EP for you if you get a job.

But to be clear, the job market is not all that good currently. Expect to wait a long time before you land a job. Possibilities of getting a job through a consultant are more, rather than getting a direct, permanent job. If through a consultant, expect them to give a lot of BS saying you are not currently working, so salary will be started lower etc.

Stand your ground, and ask for minimum of 4.5 - 5 K to take up any offer. Start any lower than that, and its going to be difficult for future pay hikes.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hyral

Hyral Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much Chandrika for guiding me.
    Will surely discuss as explained by you with my DH.
    Will surely come up with more queries if incase I have.
    Thanks again :)

9. Hyral

Hyral Gold IL'ite

Hi I need Help,
    Can you all pls suggest me some good job consultants offering jobs in Singapore.
    Also if any of u are working there in Singapore in IT Company. Please do let me know if there are openings suitable for my DH's profile.
    He has 7 yrs of experience & is working in Perl and Unix.

Thanks

10. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Hi Hyral. What happened to the offer with investment bank? Its better to take up that one rather than go with consultant. Also, job market is very bad right now, not many openings coming up. The place i work in has a hiring freeze for the rest of the year, and i think so do many other institutions.