1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Autism Or Speech Delay?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Anisha01, May 9, 2017.

1. Anisha01

Anisha01 New IL'ite

Hi Every one, I am normally not a forum person, but after coming across the togetherness and the helpful nature of our Indian Ladies community I felt like sharing my situation and looking for your own experiences / ideas and opinions on what I am going through at the moment.

I have a daughter 6 years – totally normal, going to school in Melbourne now, my son will be 3 years in Aug 2017 , we are not sure just yet what exactly is going on , but I will list his features for you all to advise

He is going to childcare from when he was 1 year old
    He is co-sleeping at the moment, and very clingy to me , don’t let me bath and brush peacefully
    He talks atleast 100 to 150 words – but not 100% clear
    He used to have a lot of screen time but now we reduced to max 1 hour a day
    He loves his rhymes and sings the tune of them but not clear
    He understands some feelings angry, crying sometimes but not always
    His eye contact is ok, if he sees a cat/dog etc something very interesting he look at me and tells cat/dog, but when I ask next questions like what is cat doing, what colour is cat he won’t respond

He repeats the same word over and over to get our attention
    He will follow the basic instructions at childcare like go wash your hands, sit on your placemat, ask for more if he wants to eat more
    He will be a part of the group of kids, looks what they are doing and copies them, but when it comes to interaction he doesn’t one on one interact with other kids

He hardly says yes or no to basic questions like do you like this or not, but if he wants something he will pull my hand n take me there and just grabs the object from there
    He uses finger to point aeroplane, trees, flower, butterfly, all the objects/animals/numbers/letters/all shapes in his picture books ( his memory is really good, with all the things in his books) he also use his hand appropriately to wave bye bye and hi-fi

He does some pretend play, like make a coffee, cooking, baking, simple objects with playdoh like snake, plays with trucks and cars

He is sometimes sensitive to sounds from pressure cooker, but loves the vacuum cleaner and washing machines and others

He doesn’t like snatching toy from his hand or saying no to him when he wants to go out, he will be quite upset. He used to beat , bite , pull my hair n my daughters hair but now I am diverting him which seems to work for me at the moment and we can control his temper at the moment.

He can identify cry, cough, sneeze, laugh and says bless you, thank you, oh oo very instantly

He very rarely flaps hand, only when is super excited, may be once a day
    He laughs a lot for all silly games and expressions my daughter makes

He is not potty trained yet, but I am getting him to practice the steps - sit on the potty once a day and he sits ok for few mins then takes a toilet roll and wipes and the flushes – he knows the steps, drill and purpose of sitting there

He is fine with other sensory, tickle, etc
    His bowl movements, eating varieties foods, textures and tastes are normal like my daughter

We have first approached an Australian paediatrician who said a series of assessments with psychologist and speech pathologist and after 6 appointments they will come to a conclusion, then we approached an Indian paediatrician in Melbourne, he said may be for our peace of mind not sure but he said my child has features of autism but at this time we should only see if he needs help with his speech and give him the help he require and referred us to a speech therapist and he will see us in 3 months’ time.
    I liked his approach to address the problem (start speech therapy)instead of doing series of assessments, but its freaking me out whether my son has something like autism or how severe and how long will it take for him to become normal etc heaps of questions in my mind… Im looking for your all advises and valuable suggestions … Thank you all

Nivyad, Sunshine04 and SGBV like this.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My niece is very similar to your son. She will be 3 in Nov 2017.
    But she used to spend a lot screen time, and I am afraid that could be the reason behind her speech delay.
    The pead did not say anything alarming for now. But the kid makes weird loud noises to get our attention, since she us unable to communicate clearly.
    It all seemed fine when she was 1+, but now as a preschooler she seems below than average kids.

I also would like to know from other posters whether it is alarming or should we consult for a second opinion?

3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

No one can say if your son has autism or not in this forum.
    Start speech therapy as the paed says.
    You have to do the series of assessments to know for sure.
    He is talking 150 words.
    Is he making sentences.??
    How does he play with his toys???

4. Anisha01

Anisha01 New IL'ite

We have started speech therapy 2 weeks ago.. Based on the improvement im guessing our paediatrician will recommend next steps
    He doesn't speak sentences... We r now teaching him to join 2 words n he is repeating after us like blue bus, yellow car etc
    He play with all toys in the same way all other children play... No such pattern or lining up...

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, You and doctors can best judge your kids condition . So do what they suggest do.My 2cents..

If he behaves and interact with other kids like any normal kid do, I feel he will be ok. Ask your child care teachers on how is he at the school. Are they worried or concerned? Did he speak there enough? If they are ok he will be fine.
    Do you speak to him in english or native language. If so switch to English. Kids from multi_lingual background sometimes take time to speak using full sentences.

We were worried about our son like this way.
    So we used to ask daycare all the time. They all said he is ok. He communicated using whatever resources he have.. But started talking non stop by 4 years. Even for potty training we used to talk the same way his childcare people talk.

My son started using toilet himself by 3years.
    Don't worry, keep trying,One fine mornings he will do it. He should be ready.We also tried, I even talked to his teachers and used same sentence to ask. May be you can guess from his facial expressions if he is ready, that time take him to toilet seat..once they feel they can do it..they do..

I didn't have these problems with my daughter . So I how you may be comparing him with your dd. Every child is unique

I know another familily. Their dd faced similar issue. So they started speech therapy by 3years. But she started talking well by 4yrs.

My son used to cling to me like a baby monkey. I used to take him even to bathroom:). The frustration he show is natural because of communication skills issue..

Anyway keep watching. I feel that your son will be ok

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    sindmani and deepthyanoop like this.
  6. Anisha01

Anisha01 New IL'ite

Hi there thanks for your inputs...

Childcare s feedback was only regarding his interaction with other kids one on one... They say that he will a part of a group and participate but when it comes to one on one interaction n playing with a single child he doesnt do that.. But they also say get speech therapy for him and encourage him to talk... Don't give that object to him until he says that words or joins words asking for i want---object name...

We r trying that n it works half of the times...

The other feedback was sharing toys.. He used to get quite upset in giving his toy to others... So our carer at childcare asked us to increase days... He was going 1day a week. From last 2 weeks we r sending him 3 days a week. She is saying there is a lot of change in him in this 2weeks to understand the routine, follow instructions and share toys with other kids by taking turns..

We r slowly addressing all his negatives n turning into positives at the moment...

Thanks for sharing ur experience and your prompt reply to my post

Im just praying for now

Last edited: May 10, 2017