1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Autism Kids Mom Can Help Me Pls

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Sweetygals, Jan 29, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

My daughter,a mother of quadruplets out of whom two are autistic runs a skills development center at mumbai.She is well known in the circle and has helped many people.Please contact her Sangeetha at Together foundation. www.togethersee.org.you can have a look at their website.you can email -togethersee@gmail.com. Early intervention may be of help.May God bless the child.
    S.LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

Sweetygals and Laks09 like this.
  2. Anbhu

Anbhu Silver IL'ite

Try to give tasty drinks like fruit juice, rose milk or lassi which ever he likes in the cup and milk, water in his bottle. He would start using cup as he cannot avoid tasty drinks. This worked for us to change bottle to cup.

Sweetygals likes this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Is your daughter sangeeta chakrapani ??

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

He’s right about it being a difficult age. Definitely try in home and see what you can do before going back at 18 months or so for some therapy.

With reinforcers, sometimes the reinforcers lose their value because of usage over and over again. Come up with a list of things he likes and use a different reinforcer or a more preferred one. My son loved playing with cars of all kinds so we constantly used that as reinforcers using a different kind each time. I hate using edibles but I know parents use m&m etc if the kid is genuinely not interested in anything. Try kinetic sand, big colored marbles that he won’t choke on, big blocks, tracks and trains etc. Most kids on the spectrum have obsessions and mine has it with vehicles so I used that to my advantage.
    I also used bubbles for eye contact and single sounds - I would blow it if he made eye contact and pointed or asked for it with his words.
    He’s still too young to play with others but the gesture songs are what I had most success with. In a way be glad he has interest in toys. If he didn’t it would be hard to get him to cooperate and find reinforcers. Joining him in his play is the best way to engage him. Take his toy saying my turn and run it on the carpet once before giving it back saying now it’s your turn. After he gets used to it, just take it and don’t do anything. He will invariably look at you and make eye contact. Then you can do your turn and give it back. Slowly add in “Go” there. I would do ready set go while I played on my turn. Then I would say ready/set and pause. He would look at me and say go. That’s when I would praise and continue the game. Slowly you can do it during his turn too and expand on the vocab and play time.

I would say pick your battles. He is only 15 months old. The bottle is right now not hindering him much. I don’t know how many typical kids drink from a regular cup at this age. Wait a few months while you implement the other things at home and start with a sippy cup with a soft spout - like a bottle. Slowly move from that to a hard spouted sippy and then an open cup.

This book helped me a lot while I was waiting to start therapies with my son. Buy it. It’s worth the money. I bought a paper back and wrote on it, made notes etc. It’s a good starting point for parents with strategies for things to do at home. Lots of the things I’ve mentioned is probably in the book and detailed better.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how things go.

Sweetygals and Rihana like this.
  5. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

I am in same boat. Came to look here for suggestions. OP did you get hearing checked for your kid?

6. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

You are doing very good thing by taking a short break. In addition to the others suggestions please concentrate on child’s diet. In past few years scientific evidence is mounting that poor gut health and absence of good bacteria in gut have link to Autism. This is just beginning to come into mainstream. You can google if you like. I used to have a really good article for this but can’t find it.
    (Of course they have gone off into different direction with fecal transplant etc which I don’t agree is necessary. I feel this is big pharma’s attempt to cash in on this new knowledge.)
    As Indians we can easily get the same benefit by going back to our traditional diets . Basically eliminate all processed foods, don’t give Maggi, msg, soda, extra sugar. Give unrefined sugar like jaggery or molasses where possible. Give lots of fermented foods like home made Dahi, idly dosa dhokla etc, to populate the gut health, several times a week. do sprouted grains. Kefir, sauerkraut are also good. Your kid is so small this will make difference for sure. Even older kids can benefit if start giving probiotic foods like dahi, idly, dosa, etc.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  7. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

No as i know that he is super sensitive to sounds, to mixie sound, pressure cooker. He would start crying hearing those sounds. He just dnt understand that it is his name

8. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Very nice and motivating to hear your story. Thanks for all your suggestions

9. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

I just read on medical medium one mothers post how metal detox smoothie helped her son. Please google “medical medium autism”

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I would stay away from the so called cures of autism.
    The medical detox smoothie has an ingredient, cup of cilantro. Its half life is unknown. Cilantro would just move mercury from one organ to another causing more damage.

SinghManisha likes this.