1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Autism/Epilepsy treatment

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by swapnasuresh, Jan 20, 2014.

1. swapnasuresh

swapnasuresh New IL'ite

Dear all,

Has anyone tried/heard about Medhamind Chennai for autism/epilepsy treatment? I am in urgent need of information regarding this centre. Please help me out....

This treatment involves neurofeedback/ brain cunction testing.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I know all about it. My nephew underwent treatment there. What information are you looking for?

1 person likes this.
  3. swapnasuresh

swapnasuresh New IL'ite

Hi Rakhii,

many thanks for responding...how did the treatment go? are they reliable and good?
    how is your nephew's improvement after the treatment....also how long did the treatment go?

hi Rakhii,
    i had send a private message to you earlier...and was trying to talk to you for 2-3 days...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  4. Rakhii

swapna, the treatment went really well. They have this technique called mind mapping. It is assisted by a computer program. We could see remarkable improvement in his over all personality. His vocabulary improved, his hand writing and his social skills also improved a lot. He joined treatment when he was 7 years old. At that time, his IQ was really low. However, he did show a LOT of improvement. At 7, he was very specific about new foods or colors or certain sounds; he would get very frustrated if even one thing is amiss like the color of the dal or the color of roti etc. All that is in control now.

The only downside was, while is personality improved a lot, his IQ is still poor. At 8, his IQ is as of a 5 year old child.
    For that my sister just started taking him to a different program. Medha-mind was only useful to develop overall personality but not IQ.

I mean, if you ask him certain simple questions, he doesnt know what to do. My sister drops him off at the school everyday. If you ask him, "if your mom cannot drop you off at school today, how will you go?"
    For that, there could be number of answers, like "i will take auto or i will ask dad or i will not go to school or anything". He gets totally lost and he doesnt get the concept of alternate choices.

But mind you, he only went to medha mind for 8-10 months. We did see improvement, a lot of improvement but not complete. Also, he is only border-line autistic. Apparently, kids who are moderate to high see remarkable improvement there.

Hope this helped.

2 people like this.
  5. Rakhii

I apologize, I dont usually get time to login to IL on weekends. See if my above response helps.

6. swapnasuresh

swapnasuresh New IL'ite

Many many thanks Rakhii..... we are thinking of doing the treatment for our son 7 and half years oldwho is epileptic with ADHD and ASD.....speech delay as well with lot of babbling plus unclear speech....his level of eye contact and understanding seemed to improve overall so hope this treatment helps him breakthrough the barrier which is constraining him and us right now...

would you mind checking the cost involved? also are they located in chennai?

Rakhii,

Also what's the programs and/ schooling he currently undergo?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  7. Rakhii

Swapna, the cost I know depends on the intensity of the syndrome. For my nephew one session cost for 1 hour was 2,500 rupees. It was recommended twice a week for my nephew for 8-10 months. I know for a fact that speech delays/blabbering/eye-contact/hand-eye coordination are treated very well in Medha Mind. One word of caution, for the first one month, you will not see any improvement. It will look like he is getting worse and you will feel you are wasting money. But the changes started happening from 5th week onwards.
    Having said this, it depends on one kid to another. Maybe you will see a change on day 1 itself or not until week 8. We have to just try and see.

Yes, the head office is in Chennai but there is a branch in Hyderabad too.

8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I am also interested in knowing more about the treatment for a family member. please provide information as much as you can. Are similar treatments available in US?

9. Rakhii

He goes to a normal school. He was able to cope until 3rd class OK but my sister is telling me that its getting increasingly difficult in 4th as complex maths are out of reach for my nephew.
    Thats why, after finishing with Medha mind, she is now taking his to another therapy for his IQ.

10. Megha2012

Megha2012 New IL'ite

Its nice to know it helps special need children,can epilepsy be also treated with this programme? thanks