1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Attitude of Sharing – that multiplies the happiness!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Malar2301, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]

First of all I would like to thank all kind hearted friends of IL who have given me an excellent support on my snippet that I wrote about my mother. I was literally overwhelmed by your responses and the care and love in it Bow. With that note, I’m here to share yet another snippet of my life which still stays in my heart as unforgettable memories.

When I say Diwali (In South India we call it as Deepavali…) the very first thing that comes to our mind is the crackers though we have other things like sweets, new dress, oil bath, etc., that adds to this occasion. And for children, they go crazy to fire the crackers. That too the pride they get when they actually been promoted from lighting flower pots and chakra to fire Atom bombs, 1000 walas, rockets, etc. And definitely I’m not an exception to it.

Almost every year my father and I will go the bazaar area and my mother will come and join us after her office hours. It was during my 5th grade, like every other year my father took me to the main bazaar and my mother joined. The collection of crackers is left to my choice and that year I nearly purchased for Rs. 250. Wow!!! A bag full of crackers you know… (And now I won’t even get just one packet of flower pot with that amount….OMG). Comparing to the previous year, which was a real Diwali bumper for me having a bag full of crackers that year. We returned home after purchasing items for pooja.

I was literally never able to sleep the night before Diwali. My mind was kept dreaming about me going and firing crackers the next day. (Do I need to stress one’s love for crackers …that too in that age…?). Such love for firing crackers waken me up before even the alarm strikes or before even my mother woke up. (What a craze for crackers!!!). Immediately I went and disturbed my mom to wake up and get me the things for me to get ready. Yes…Now I got ready to go and fire my thirst!!

Since I was in the 5th grade, I was only allowed to fire Bijilli (small thin ones…oosi vedi in Tamil). Took the cracker packet and went outside. I also had the lengthy agarbathi to fire it. In next one hour, I emptied the packet and returned inside. It was like a decent breakfast for a hungry person. Then it was the time for television. Around 11.30 AM…slowly I got my headache. Gradually it reached the peak (Again OMG :eek:mg:…in tolerable…) Now, all the sounds of cracker were like a thunder that added my pain. Within a day my love for crackers changed to hatred.

In the evening, I just went out to see the colors at least…well prepared…A thick towel round my head covering my ears too. (Fear of sounds made me to do so…). The scene that I’m going to tell now is the essence of this thread. I saw a boy say around 7 years and a girl around 4 (brother and sister) was looking all others who are firing crackers with a lots of expectations and eagerness to fire crackers. It created a lot of sympathy in me. Just had a sparkle, “why don’t I share my crackers to those people…anyways I’m not able to do so…” Immediately the evil sense in me shouted “only today you have headache…save them for tomorrow and why don’t you fire them the next day…”

As a kid, that too in that age…it was obviously my mind listened only to my evil voice…though my heart was on the kids’ side. My mother entered the scene and she observed the same. Then she called me inside. This is what she spoke to me “Why don’t you give your crackers to those kids?”. I said “No…I need it…I will fire them tomorrow…”

Now my mom again…

“you are my child and how come you don’t feel sympathy for those kids…just imagine you standing out looking at others burning crackers and looking out for someone to give you at least few crackers to fire…how would you feel…?”

“Won’t you feel like crying…? The kids are in the same situation. Just give them few…see the happiness on their face…that will also make you happy dear…”

As I said already my heart was on the kid’s side and added to it was my mother’s lovable words…finally my heart won against my mind. Initially I took only very few of my crackers and called those kids and gave. My mom was watching me silently. I gave it to them on one note “you need to fire only here…in front of my eyes…” First of all they were in a shock, they never expected that I would call them and give them. The boy nodded his head happily. They were in unbounded joy, firing the crackers. Yes, my mother was correct…I was plainly looking at them, their happiness without getting reminded of my headache.

The younger one told her brother “Anna…can we take those to our home and burn in front of amma?” I felt that her ultimate aim was to make her mom happy. But her brother hesitated assuming that I would say “No”. My mother was looking at me…I then asked her “mom…can I give the rest of the crackers to those people…and ask them to take home…?”

I knew that my mother was waiting for me to say that. She said “Yes” with no time. I grabbed the bag and gave it to the kids and one should see the younger one’s happiness. Still it is in front of my eyes. They both ran to their home. Lovely kids…

Then my mother called me “are you not feeling bad that you gave whatever little thing we got for you..?” I said “No ma…I’m happier now…”.

My mother hugged me with all her love and I could see the pride in her eyes.

It is again “It is because of her…What I’m today…”

Thanks friends for having patience in reading such a big post. Awaiting your comments…
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malar

Good post. Enjoyed reading it. There is always happiness in sharing and bringing a smile on other's face. In young age only you learnt that and hats off to your mother for teaching the good values in life.

3. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

hi

A very good post. A very good brought-up. Hats off to your mom.

cheers

4. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot Viji ma for being the first one to give me your feedback. It stands not only as a feedback but your care. Thanks for knowing my mother the better.

5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malar,

A very important lesson life taught very lovingly at a young age - hats off to your mother for that. :thumbsup If only all mothers taught their children these values (especially in today's world), what a wonderful place the world would be to live in.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. madhoo78

madhoo78 Bronze IL'ite

hi malar,
    again a nice post! your mom is really great!she taught you the value of sharing at such a young age.

7. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Malar,

Hats off to you and your mother...Very nice post :thumbsup

8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Nice post Malar... Your mom has a heart of gold.

-Lakshmi

9. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Malar,

Hats off to you and ur mom!!!

yes seeing smile in others face, make us really happy....

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

That was so sweet of you Malar! Your are a sweet personand so is your mother! She taught you well and I am sure you will pass on the values to your children too!
    Lovely thread!