1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Atlanta Ladies - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Indians in Georgia' started by Induslady, Oct 28, 2006.

1. ilagandhi

ilagandhi New IL'ite

S.A. has definitely changed in many aspects. It does not feel like the country of my birth. You are correct about the crime rate. I was amazed at all the security I saw in homes, offices, dept stores, etc. Every home has iron rods and fences. People seem afraid too and that made me sad.

My Mom still lives in S. A. Dad passed away several years ago. Yes I do believe there are many South Africans in Atlanta. Someone told me there is a store when you can buy S. A. chocolates, cookies, etc. Not sure where it is. Do you know?.....

2. nasiha

nasiha New IL'ite

Well i have not had a chance to get my info on the S.A. store but heard about it as well, and will get you the details after i've found it. Yes, my house in S.A. has all the latest security system and still you get that nagging feeling that you could be their next target.
    Anyway on a lighter note. I love the Lenox n Phipps Mall, it's stunning ...chandeliers ...cool :) has my vote.
    Had a disaster with my cooking yesterday....Forgot to squeeze the water out of the onions to make cutlets......so all all i did was re-name it.... called it fried mince if there is such a thing...lol
    Hey, what do you guys do on weekends here in Atlanta besides all the tourist places? I stay on the south side of Atlanta.......any ideas?

3. ilagandhi

ilagandhi New IL'ite

Nasiha, I will send you a private message.

For all our Atlantians IL. Go to the thread titled Georgraphy and read my little friendly snippet on Atlanta. I promise it will bring a smile to your face or you will just burst out laughing uncontrollablly just thinking about it.

4. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I thought I would say 'hi' to you all.

I have been living in Atlanta for the past 3 years....the last 6 months in Alpharetta. After a short stint in the Corporate world in India, I came here on that dreaded H4.

Atlanta is a fine place. I like the weather here and also the convenience of having Indian shops around.

I used to be a gym-freak....but these days I prefer walking outdoors. There's nothing like having a whiff of fresh air...............and what a relief to get away from staring at the four walls (that's a common phrase amoung H4's).

Bye!

1 person likes this.
  5. ilagandhi

ilagandhi New IL'ite

Nivedi,

good to meet you. Yes the outdoor life in Atlanta is really great. I am going to copying and post my "Atlanta story in the Geography thread for you to have a little chuckle.

6. ilagandhi

ilagandhi New IL'ite

Hear you go. Copied from the Geography Game Thread.

This is for anyone who lives in Atlanta, Georgia, has ever lived in Atlanta, has ever visited Atlanta, ever plans to visit Atlanta, knows anyone who already lives in Atlanta, or knows anyone who has ever heard of Atlanta.

Atlanta is composed mostly of one-way streets. The only way to get out of downtown Atlanta is to turn around and start over when you reach Greenville, South Carolina. All directions start with, "Go down Peachtree Street and include the phrase, "When you see the Waffle House." Except in Cobb County it includes the phrase, "Go to the Big Chicken."

Peachtree Street has no beginning and no end and is not to be confused with:

Peachtree Circle; Peachtree Place; Peachtree Lane; Peachtree Road; Peachtree Parkway; Peachtree Run; Peachtree Terrace; Peachtree Avenue; Peachtree Commons; Peachtree Battle; Peachtree Corners; New Peachtree; Old Peachtree; West Peachtree; Peachtree-Dunwoody; Peachtree-Chamblee; Peachtree Industrial Blvd and Peachtree City.

Atlantans only know their way to work and their way home. If you ask anyone for directions, they will always send you down Peachtree. Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola. Coke's all they drink there so don't ask for any other soft drink unless it's made by Coca-Cola. Even if you want something other than a Coca-Cola, it's still called Coke.

The gates at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport are about 32 miles away from the main concourse, so wear sneakers and pack a lunch. The 8 am rush hour is from 6:30 to 10:30 AM. The 5 pm rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:30 PM. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday afternoon and lasts through to am Saturday.

Only a native of Atlanta can pronounce Ponce De Leon Avenue, so do not attempt the Spanish pronunciation. People will simply tilt their heads to the right and stare at you. The Atlanta pronunciation is "pawntz duh
    LEE-awn."

And yes, they have a street named simply, "Boulevard."

The falling of one raindrop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules. If a single snowflake falls, the city is paralyzed for three days and it's on all the channels as a news flash every 15 minutes for a week. Overnight, all grocery stores will be sold out of milk, bread, bottled water, toilet paper, and beer.

I-285, the loop that encircles Atlanta, which has a posted speed limit of 55 mph (but you have to maintain 80 mph just to keep from getting run over, is known to truckers as "The Watermelon 500."

Don't believe the directional markers on highways: I-285 is marked East and West but you may be going North or South. The locals identify the direction by referring to the "Inner Loop" and the "Outer Loop."

If you travel on Hwy 92 North, you will actually be going southeast. Never buy a ladder or mattress in Atlanta. Just go to one of the interstates and you will soon find one in the middle of the road. The last thing you want to do is give another driver the finger, unless your car is armored, your trigger finger is itchy and your AK-47 has a full magazine.

Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in Georgia. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Georgia, plus a couple no one has seen before.

If it grows, it sticks. If it crawls, it bites.

If you notice a vine trying to wrap itself around your leg, you have about 20 seconds to escape, before you are completely captured and covered with Kudzu, another ill-advised "import," like the Carp, Starling, English Sparrow, and other 'exotic wonders'.

It's not a shopping cart, it's a buggy.

"Fixinto" is one word (I'm fixinto go to the store).

Sweet Tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're 2 years old.

"Jeet?" is actually a phrase meaning "Did you eat?"

"How's your Momma-nem" means: How's your Mother and all of the other members of the family doing?

If you understand these jokes, forward them to your friends from Atlanta, Georgia and those who just wish they were.

Lordy, I love ATLANTA!

7. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi Ila,

Hilarious - especially the section on roads being named after Peachtree :mrgreen: . Atlanta's slang is funny too. I enjoyed your post.

Rgrds,
    Nivedi

8. karuth

karuth New IL'ite

Hi Atlanta ppl,
    Thats a great IL population in Atlanta...Good going...I am Karthika. I live in Norcross for more than a year now.I was in IT industry. I am now in H4 ..:icon_frown: ...having a 3 yr old I am not able to volunteer too...hmm.....Trying to take it easy and use my time worthwhile.
    bubye
    karthika.

9. Hemalata

Hemalata Senior IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    This is Hema and I'm a new member to this forum. I got married a couple of months back and moved to Atlanta on H4 visa. I'm currently staying at Jeffersons at Perimeter at Ashford Dunwoody Road.

It was very refreshing to go through all your posts. This is a great medium for interaction for people like us.

I am a Mumbaiite and worked as HR professional for abt 2 yrs after my MBA before coming here.

I would love to make friends here and hope to meet some of you...

Keep writing...
    Cheers
    Hema

1 person likes this.
  10. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Its been some time since i visited. Been busy with my 9 month old who is keeping me busy like nothing before. :)

As for my gym plans ( to go to Curves) - I went for exactly 3 weeks and then.....I was tired...:eek:mg:

he he... ;)

Incidentally, are any of you ladies planning to go to the Legal Immigrants rally in Washington DC on September 13th - for faster processing of green card applications? Immigration Voice is organizing it. If you are interested then you can go to their website and see more relevant info on it.

If any of you are planning to go then maybe we can go together. I'm planning to go with my hubby and baby. Its going to be hectic, but I thought that since our GC plans are getting delayed for 6-10 years now, might as well speak up a bit...:p

Other than that, life is just peachy in Alpharetta...

I was reading the old posts and there seem to be several ladies now in Alpharetta or nearby areas..why don't we have a lunch get together or something...just to meet each other and maybe go to a movie or shopping or restaurant and talk and gossip...8) you know..just the usual stuff you do with friends...

What say you guys...anybody up for it?? I can come any weekday for lunch or the weekend also...

And Shilpa - how's the pregnancy going..you must be due any minute now, nahi??