1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

At What Age Should A Child Start To Write?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Sep 23, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Mine is going to be four in few months..
    She writes few alphabets but I did not stress much.
    Should they know to write well before going to elementary?
    Mine just started preschool..
    One of my neighbor told her son started writing even small words by three and a half.I do not want my child to suffer before elementary..
    What are the things a child needs to know before joining proper school?

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

They would teach writing in school. The child should have a proper pencil grip. That's the most important part. Next is posture. Back straight, heels of the floor, elbow stretched enough so the face isn't too close to the paper.

It is great if the child makes drawings and pictures and makes broad marks on paper. This is more important than actually writing the letters. From a stick figure person, the child can be encouraged to observe and add detail. Eyebrows, lashes, ear rings, fingers etc. this would help the child gain better fine motor control.

Also usually the names of the letters aren't taught as it slows the reading speed. Only he phonic sounds are taught initially in school. It's important to ensure the child can read simple text before encouraging them to write words.

The child needs to be taught to form the alphabet properly - its tempting to write b like 6! This can be done on sand, in the air such that the letter is huge enough to cross the torso etc. Only after this would I would encourage the child to write large leter - 1 - 4 per a4 sheet to begin with and then slowly reduce the size. The child can draw something and label it. Or write his name on it.

The kids learn and catch up eventually. Schools usually do their job well. A child younger than my child was taught to write very early. At 5, he doesn't seem to have much of an edge over the rest of the kids anyway. Theyve all caught up and are on the same level.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My answer is specific to U.S. schools, and assuming that child is going to a school in a good school district, with peers who come from educated households with parents involved in child's education.

Yes, child should know to write well before going to elementary school (KG). But, not if it comes through 'suffering'. You seem to be equating writing well with suffering - but, I know you don't mean it that way.

It does give child an edge if he/she can write well. Teachers have a room of 20 students to teach, and even with an aide cannot give the individual attention handwriting (or penmanship) needs. So, in the year before KG, a little attention to writing is worth it. I highly recommend this website: Handwriting Without Tears | A Complete Handwriting Curriculum for All Children I discovered that a bit late for my older one. Two important take-aways from that for me were: pencil-grips - useful little thingies that help child learn how to hold the pencil correctly. I won't debate if there is a 'correct' way. : ) But, I do wish I had known about pencil-grips before my older one turned 6. Buy these from local school-supply and 'learning' stores. They cost a bit, but experiment with a few till you find one that works for the child.

The other take-away was - when practicing handwriting, have the child repeat one line 9-10 times on ruled page, rather than write a longer sentence or short paragraph.

A child who writes well will write more, will do more in class. Similarly, keyboarding (typing) is a skill worth working on with the child, starting around 7 or 8 years. Schools do teach this, but very casually. A few weeks of focused keyboarding practice is extremely valuable.

This whole handwriting debate keeps coming up during the school years. As things now stand - some teachers are less fussy about handwriting, some will reject work with bad writing, some insist on cursive writing, some are progressive to allow typed work. Standardized testing at lower grades is using chromebooks and ipads, while essay in SAT and English AP exams are handwritten (last I checked).

Sparkle, guesshoo, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thanks guys..
    she draws circles and lines..
    problem is I have seen in usa kids hold the pencil in a different way and we Indians hold differently.hence,if i teach it will be in my method and I do not want the child to get confused.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Check out online. There are youtube videos for pencil hold. I think it's called the tripod grip. Repeatedly encouraging the child to do that will help develop the right habits.

anika987 and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

: ) It is like the rest of parenting..... soon parent and child find a good mix of the east and west to follow : ) let child take the lead [pun intended], guide the child, and try to change only if style of holding is remarkably odd, and will lead to wrist issues or stress on fingers, etc.

7. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I am also in a state like @anika987 . My son is 3 and half now. Till now I didn't teach alphabets at home, but he does coloring (he likes it) and scribbling ( there would be circles and lines too) at home with his own choice.

In Montessori also he does coloring and tracing letters. We got a library book in which the title of the book is big and little high on the surface, so he himself started tracing on that. So I though may be time to get some tracing stuff at home and make him trace it. One teacher told me at "open house of a school" event that by 4 years they should know their alphabets and some numbers.

My son used to ask 2-3 chocolates (means more) showing fingers (not correct counting though) from 1 and half or close to two. But still he can't count, but says amma, this is 1, this is 2, this 4, etc (when I say 3, no amma this is 4) , . I some times doubt is he naming them with numbers. or he understands he is counting, I let him to learn on his own pace, as long as he is not behind the class , where he is not following the teacher. But I felt happy when he was tracing at home. As I stopped TV completely for him, he gets time to look into his books selected by him in the library. He makes one of them as his favorite.

guesshoo, Roshini8731 and anika987 like this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

As of now.I go to library once a week and get few books.everyday I read a book or two.
    then she knows alphabets capitals and small case.numbers she knows one to 20 and maybe more..knows rhymes and through "dora" knows few spanish vocabulary is fine

I thought I was doing good but when some other parents claim their 3 year old reads/writes..it makes me feel guilty.On a lighter note,i do not even want to compare my kids to kids in India.two year olds speak like a 5 year old.no kidding.they are talking about walrus and jellyfish...

Anyways,I am just worried about her writing habits.she just dosen't want to even TRY writing..running away to play on her bike:(

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Roshini8731 likes this.
  9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

There were kids in my child's class who would not write - make marks - on paper at nearly 4. The teacher used to leave lots of sheets of paper on the floor, place colour pens, colour pencils, crayons out; have paper ready on easels with bright paint by the side etc. She did it for a week or two until all kids had made some piece of "art"! The kids slowly picked up the knack - of making broad marks on paper. Then they needed to then tune the fine motor skills by doing activities like threading beads, using little pegs to clip on pictures etc.

Lots of these activities helped the child develop skills required for writing.

Another tip that might help is if you get some of those colouring books for grownups. Whenever I sat down with them, my child would want to colour too.

Teach phonics - when You say she recognises letters, does she use the letter names or phonics? I think starfall is a US website for phonics. That helps much more with reading and eventually writing.

And counting. That is more important, I would say. Not repeating numbers but actual counting. Like ask her to bring 2 spoons. Oops we are 3 people. How many more do we need? That sort of practical counting with adding and taking away from 1-5 first, increase to 10. Then count in reverse from any number, counting in twos (line up teddies and count the number of eyes, in twos) etc. Then increase that to 20.

Since you mention some kids conduct discourses on various subjects, there are learning opportunities you an introduce to increase general knowledge. At this age the kids would be interested in the world around them and can learn a lot on different topics. Last year when my child was 4, around autumn, we did lots of reading up (library books) on seasons, trees, weather, hibernating animals. (I must say i havent paid so much attention to the wonderful world around me until i started doing these activities with the child!) Then took walks to find stuff like acorns from oak trees, conkers from chesnut, trying to find the maple folowing its burnt sugar smell etc. Picked up leaves of different colours and pressed them between heavy books to take out later and stick on some cards. This general knowledge will help them with vocabulary, concepts, creativity, have discussions with friends etc.

I havent watched dora but I suppose it's educational. if she's seen something on dora, you could expand on that. For eg. there's this programme called octanauts about a bunch of creatures going in a submarine and helping out everyone in the sea with their problems. My child saw something about coral reefs in it. we picked up books from the library, saw images and videos online about it, about how they thrive, how they need to be conserved etc.

You are right; it doesn't make sense to compete with other kids. I strongly believe tha it would benefit our kids if we picked up tips from other parents. There are some tips which have worked really well for my child and some which didn't work.