1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Astrological predictions

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Jan 15, 2016.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

There is no doubt about the popularity of astrology.According to various opinion polls nearly 40% of people, even in Western countries believe in astrology.Astrology has infiltrated society at all levels and even the most brilliant minds have been unable to resist the fascination.

Many people say that astrology is a science.If we take Einstein's equation, we will get the same result how many ever times it is tried by various persons.
    But each astrologer predicts different results for the same horoscope.

Yes there might be calculations and permutations, but then why does the end result differ when done by different people?! Why is there be no solid surety that end result will be correct! Its just a matter of luck. If the astrologer is lucky he will get his predictions correct! As in a science, there is no strict rule in astrology that such and such hypothesis leads to a very specific theorem or answer!

Very often we are advised to live in the PRESENT, enjoy the PRESENT and cross the bridge when you come to it.True.
    But atleast 80% ,and even more , of the people approach astrologers of various kinds-Horoscope Readers,palmists,Numerologists,Face Readers or predictors of various kinds to find some solutions for a variety of problems-from child birth,studies,matrimonial allianace,compatability of horoscopes,matrimonial harmony,sickness,business prospects,property litigations & even about mortality.
    On a few occasions,either by the efficiency of the astrologer or by sheer coincidence the predictions come true & people catch hold of the same astrologer & his words are taken to be divine.

Many universities are conducting Diploma Courses in Astrology dealing with Stellar Movements, Casting of horoscopes,scientific concepts of astrology,comparative analysis of Astronomy & Astrology etc etc.We are amazed to find some of our amaeturist predictions come true.Every thing will be O. K. if it concerns about others.But when it is related to the problems of our own kith & kin,we become terribly nervous.

What I observe after taking some real interest in learning and studying astrology is that the mathematical part of it is absolutely stunning and captivating .But the prediction part of it is very much evasive and has an element of escapism .Study of our own horoscopes slowly and steadily without any prejudice did not yield correct results. Some of the major accidents/bad events could not be revealed.For example 'Transfer' may denote official transfer, promotion or ascension to heaven.
    We have 12 rasis, 27 nakshatras and nine planets as per astrology.Rasis are actually clusters of stars .The distsnce of these stars are conveyed by a unit called light year-one light year representing 60lakhs crores of miles.For instance aswini star is 60 light years away and thiruvathirai star is 1500 light years away.( proved by science).But the planets-moon, angarahan, budan etc are comparatively a few crores miles away from the earth.That is to say, planets are neare and rasis are too too far.

According to astrology planets are stated to reside in these rasis and are moving from one rasi to another.Depending on the house or rasi occupied by the planet, it affects human beings, it is told.Each rasi is lakhs of crores of miles from each other and from the planet also.How is it possible for the planets to reside and travel from rasi to rasi?

This might have been believed to be true before the period of Copernicus, Galileo and Kepler,the great astronomical scientists.The discovery of telescope was a rude shock to olden day astrologers.Now even after the exact distances are well known,the belief continues that the planetary position at the time of birth of the child has mighty influence on the future of the child.
    According to scientists, sun is a star.But it is considered as a planet in astrology.
    Just like other planets,earth also revolves around the sun.But in astrology .
    earth is not considered a planet at all since predictions relate to beings on earth.

Rahu and Ketu which are just dissecting points are treated as planets whereas other recently discovered planets are not taken into account by many astrologers.

In earlier days they had no concept of the vast distances .Now that exact distances are known ,it does not appear logical to assume that the forces exerted by the stars and planets at the moment of birth can anyway shape our future .It is all the more confusing how the position of distant heavenly bodies make certain periods more favourable to people born under particular sign .No reasons have been assigned for the same.

There are many more contradictions .

When the predictions are good, people become very happy. However when things are not happening as expected, they become greatly disappointed & some go to the extent of abusing the astrologers.
    No need to talk ,when some mishaps are predicted.They become utterly depressed & helpless.

A famous mathematician cum astrologer, Bhaskaracharya by name,who had written so many works on JYOTHISHA SASTRA ,on seeing the horoscope of her young daughter Lilavathi predicted that she will attain widowhood soon after her marriage.Even as a great astrologer, he was very much upset. He wanted to prevent the mishap somehow. He consulted so many books & did so many calculations & at lost found a way out.If the marriage is solemnised during a particular muhurtam ,the bride & groom will live long.
    So he fixed the appropriate muhurtam & conducted the marriage according to vedic rites.
    But unfortunately,the bridegroom met with his end the very next day.
    Being a Gnani & Vivekee ,the astrologer analysed the circumstances.
    In those days there were no clocks to show the time. They had only sand Clocks consisting of 2 pots one below the other. The upper pot will have some perforations. Sand will be filled in the upper pot & thro the perforated holes it will slowly fall into the lower pot & depending on the volume of sand collected in the lower pot, time will be calculated. It so happened that on the particular ill fated day ,the MOOKKUTHI(Nose RING ) stone worn by the girl fell into the upper pot obstructing one or 2 holes .Naturally sand began to fall at a slower rate, & the auspicious muhurtham passed earlier before the wedding started.
    The astrologer realised that destiny is strong. & a small event had prevented him from conducting the marriage at the correct time.
    The famous mathematical work'Lilavathi' was written by Bhaskaracharya.But all people are not matured as the great astrologer.

I remember a real incident quoted by a Doctor Psychiatrist in his Diary.
    A well employed gentleman & his well educated postgraduate wife had a lovely son.While they were leading a very happy life,one fine morning an elderly relative, an astrologer came home. During the course of conversation the lady gave the horoscope of her 2 year old son to the astrologer. On seeing the horoscope the astrologer said the boy will be very brilliant, but will live upto 8 years only.
    The problem started the very day.The mother began to worry even for minor cold & cough affecting the child.The happiness became the thing of the past.When the child completed 7 years, one day he was afflicted with high fever.The treatment by the Family physician didn't help. The boy was admitted to a famous hospital & was undergoing so many investigations & treatment had to be given for a longer duration.Meanwhile the mother very often remembered the astrologer's predictions ,& she became depressed & hysteric.She had to be admitted in a Psychiatry ward.Even after 20 days of medication & shock treatment ,the condition did not improve ,To the contrary it was deteriorating. At last the psychiatrist doctor, decided to convey the SAD TRUTH to her. She was informed that her darling son had reached the lotus feet of God.The mother started weeping uncontrollably.For 2 to 3 hours she cried & cried & at last began to sleep. After waking up she was very clear. She told the doctor that what the astrologer had predicted had come true & nobody could change the destiny.Slowly she came to terms with the reality & began to accept the fact that her son was no more. After a week she was discharged & slowly came to her routine.
    After a month she visited the doctor & profusely thanked him for restoring her from the depression & gave him a token Gift.
    The young psychiatrist ,in his turn, presented a GIFT to her, the GIFT being none other than her own dear son,who had recovered from his illness much much earlier.
    The lady was even prepared to accept the saddest fact when it was announced to have happened, but she was not prepared to face the imaginary mishap.
    Had she not consulted the astrologer at all,she would have been happy all the 6 years.While everyone welcomes happy events,no body is prepared to accept the sad situations.
    These two events, one from mythology and another from case study point out two different angles.
    Life is not a bed of roses. Ups & downs do exist.We seem to be more bothered about the difficulties which we may not face at all during our life time.Why to invite SCORPION BITE by paying an astrologer ,although sometimes unwarranted free predictions also are available in plenty.
    It is a separate issue as to whether ASTROLOGY is a real Science?
    Do planetary movements have telling effect on human life?
    Do all the predictions come true?
    Are the astrologers efficient enough to give forecast?
    Even if they forecast some bad things, to what extent do they reveal?
    Above all what is the dire necessity to know about the distant past, ignoring the glorious present?
    If we are mentally strong,we can take guidelines from the astrologer's predictions & take our own decisions by our common sense or we may not approach the astrologer at all.
    But many are overpowered by astrological observations.

We cannot leave everything to DESTINY.
    All human beings are endowed with INTELLIGENCE & SENSE OF DESCRIMINATION., called Free Will.We have so many Gurus,books,elders & our own EXPERIENCES.
    In stead of running after the astrologers, we may strengthen our mind,face all realities with Self Confidence & with greater FAITH in the ALMIGHTY.
    Let us not be victimised by money minded astrologers.

Jayasala 42

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Astrology has nothjing positive to offer us, If astrology is correct how come children born at the same moment have different futures. Are all marriages fixed according to horoscopes happy ones. I know quite a few marriages fixed because either the bride or groom or both had "yoga jathakams" have either dragged on miserably or ended acrimoniously. How long are we going to believe that a ball of burning gas called sun and some planets are actually gods?

1 person likes this.
  3. jayasala42

Dear Balajee.
    Thank you for your response.You have brought the essence of my long mail in just four lines.Short and sweet.Just for arriving at your idea, I spent three long years reading astrology letter by letter, trying to capture the significance.I spent rs 2000/ for joining a diploma course in Madurai University.i would not have concentrated that much even for my P. G. course.As I read more references to scientific records about planetary positions.So many case studies justifying the correctness of astrological studies have been thoroughly gone through.But one thing, I have to admit, the mathematical part is simply exciting and absorbing.
    Yet in the real life situations, even intellectuals victimized by critical situations approach only astrologers.They have such a great faith-more faith than God himself.
    Astrologers give funny explanation when controversial questions are raised.
    when an astrologer predicted long life and the boy died when he was just 22.Again the parents went the astrologer to seek clarification.He refused saying that astrologers should not see the dead person's horoscope.
    I asked an astrologer about'santhana bagyam ' and the modern developments of'fertility clinics'.He said'only if one has santhana bagyam, he would make efforts to see a doctor.
    As he allowed discussions I asked him," America decides to attack Iraq and consequently many people die.How can a decision taken in one corner of the world affect the mortality of so many?What is the astrogical bearing?He stared at me and told me that he would refer and advise me throgh phone.Three years have passed. No inf from the astrologer.Yet he is flourishing.

Jayasala 42

4. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

i myself gets confuse on this..
    sometimes i feel that there must be something by which they predict and are true(ya not 100%)
    sometiems i feel it is all on our karma this and last birth which mark all happening and fate of soul is written before its birth.
    i have read somewhere that when we are diagnosed with some disease we take all precaution and care and live healthy life to avoid that future illness or some kind of operations..same way when we are predicted with some kind of negative happening we can start all good deeds and karma to avoid or delay that..after reading this i m really very careful in all my actions and words..i cannot be a saint or god but yes a good person..

5. jayasala42

Dear Twinkling stars,
    When astrological predictions come true at least partially, one would develop faith.Some of the astrologers say that the future can be predicted and cannot be changed.But many suggest some pariharams or remedies to change the course of destiny.This seems to contradict the very karma theory on which Hinduism is based.
    So many questions still remain unanswered.
    My husband believes much in astrology,very often shows his horoscope to the fortune teller.Nobody predicted or not even remotely suggested that he would get involved in a serious accident leading to cerebral haemorrage and life long medication.
    I feel that we better build up courage to face whatever is in store for us.

Jayasala 42

6. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

ya i agree to that..
    certain things are in fate and have prewritten. they are all on our karmas which we cannot rewrite. but what i feel is that will good deeds and karma we can decrease its affect. like whatever is going to happen will happen but not 100% but 70 %.
    by this we cannot avoid the mishap but can minimize the affect...

7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Jayamam, Astrology is an interesting subject. I have been learning it for a few years. All I can say it is just the amount of permutations and computations that makes it difficult to predict. The other complication is from the birth time. Not all people have a good recording of the birth time and that makes a lot of difference.

It is interesting that when it comes to astrology, people question it from scientific point with data and analysis. Yet, we go to the doctors and they diagnose whatever and we blindly take their word and medications. Do we ever question the doctor or its diagnosis? My Mom was in ICU for bronchitis and during her treatment, the doctor said that she has diabetes and started treatment of that. She never had diabetes (from all the previous tests) and she never tested positive for diabetes ever after. Many times we take medicine prescribed by one doctor and when we go to another one, that doctor may say that these are not the right medicines, stop those and take these. Shouldn't the root cause and medicine be the same? But we don't question it.

Even in medicine, from the autopsy the cause and time of death can be accurately determined, but the same science cannot predict when a person will die and from what causes. Same with astrology. Once an event has occurred, one can predict what planetary combinations lead to the event, but predicting an event accurately is difficult. Actually, in astrology, now one can determine more closely the birth time from the list of events happening in a person's life like marriage, child, education, job, etc.

As for @Balajee 's question about two people having different faith though born at the same time, there have been studies done of twins and their respective fates. The difference is in the Shastamsa varga (the 60th divisional chart) the chart that deals with the past life. So the twins may face similar situation (the intensity may be different based on their past lives) and the results may be different based on past lives.

From my experience, i have found that the basic traits that are defined by a person's sun sign, moon sign and ascendant are fairly accurate in general with minor variability or intensity seen due to different planetary positions. The overall pattern of life events can be fairly predicted with the vimshottari dasas. Answering a particular question accurately is complicated and would require hours to comprehend the various charts and position of planets, assuming that the birth time and the chart itself is 100% accurate.

I have been studying astrology from
    Astrology & Spirituality Resources

He is an IIT graduate and working in IT in USA and is from a family of astrologers. He has himself developed the software to chart the horoscopes and has addressed a lot of questions in his seminars.

2 people like this.
  8. jayasala42

Madam Akanksha,
    Thank you for your valuable informative and intellectual response.The calculation part of it is really absorbing and tremendous.I think that prediction part is more important for anyone to have full faith in astrology.There is definitely a difference between how we view the doctor and how we view an astrologer.There are specific reasons for diagnosis and drugs may fail sometimes.But in astrology we take many things for granted,if such and such is the effect of a planet residing in such and such rasi,we just take it without knowing the 'why' of it.
    Another question is about the remedies or pariharams.It seems to contradict the karma theory which is the essence of Hinduism.
    It is a fact that whenever any evil is predicted we become desperate and don't have positive energy to solve the problems.Is it not better to develop courage to face problems without knowing when it comes?
    In my experience astrology is more threatening rather than guiding.
    Most of the astrologers study your mind before predicting and reveal only pleasant aspects.No astrologer could predict a major accident in my husband's life ,though they have accurately given the past events.
    After an event, good or bad, even if we see the horoscope the planetary positions do not reveal major turning points.
    For academic interest I have gone through many books and recordings but I could not be convinced even when I analysed the facts without any prejudice.
    Jayasala 42

sindmani likes this.
  9. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Jayamam, At any point in time 1/12 of the population is in a higher probability to get into accidents and 1/6 of the population is in a medium level probability to get into accidents. This is due to the planets in transit (Gochar). The impact or intensity of the accident is based on the natal placements of planets, vimshottari dasas and on the [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Shastamsa varga. This is why we see accidents daily and some get hurt in an accident while some come out safe. Thousands of people die daily, many at the same time in different parts of the world. We don't question astrology on that. But if a few hundred people die in a single incident, we question astrology. Yes, as part of the fate, a combination of people are slated to die at certain time, the event could a spread out event or could be a single event. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I don't believe in remedies that can change fate. However, it may internally prepare us to face the difficulties, just as we pray God. This internal preparation is in itself very powerful. In many medical studies, sometimes the patient are cured just by placebo tablets. So trying out remedies may help make us strong enough to face the fate. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]You are right, most astrologers refrain from predicting unfortunate events or may just give hints which we may not have taken seriously. The astrologer is also working on probabilities just like a doctor. Any symptom could match one or more of the diseases and the doctor starts with the probability of one and starts tests and treatments. There have been many cases of misdiagnosis or late diagnosis of illness resulting in serious illness. Doctor has an advantage of fine tuning the diagnosis with further tests and symptoms but yet there is no guarantee that a person will be cured or even survived. Expecting an astrologer to immediately predict accurately in a limited time is unreasonable.

Over my studies, i haven't come across any bad horoscope of successful people. If astrology would have been faulty then we would have at least a few cases of successful people with bad horoscope.

I think most people lean on horoscope when they are at crossroads and have to select on options. Most of the times, none of the options are outstanding. Whether to accept the proposal of one boy or the other or wait. Whether to change a job or not. In all these cases, the astrologer is just expressing the probabilities as accurate prediction is not possible in a limited time or limited computational tools.

Just like you, i also have my phases of attraction and repulsion of astrology. But eventually i realize that my repulsion was based on either over expectation or misguided learning as there is lot of subjective interpretation as we match ancient knowledge in the modern world.

I highly recommend going through the earlier website and also search on literature of the astrologer Sanjay Rath (
    [/FONT]http://srath.com/ ) and Milind ( Home )

All these are technical people who are refining astrology based on their empirical experience.

1 person likes this.
  10. jayasala42

Thank you Akanksha for the second response.The subject is an ocean and needs lot of research.You have dealt with many aspects so beautifully.I am amazed at the way you have presented the facts in a crystal clear manner.
    When my husband was just 19 he showed his hand to a palmist just standing outside the college.The palmist took a print with rubber stamp and came out with a written commentary, since he was dumb.It was 1958.He could predict the exact date of our marriage that has to take place after 5 years and had given details of the girl-as belonging to a poor joint family, without brothers,but well educated and employed.Normally girls' parents fix a muhurtham and conduct the marriage.My father fixed up a date in June 1963 and my in-laws agreed.But suddenly my MIL's mother passed away and the marriage had to be postponed.Again my father consulted the pundit and fixed up the date as Sep 1st.It was the exact date given by the palmist.My husband showed the predictions six years after marriage.I wondered hoe the palmist could predict the exact date without reference to any horoscope or birth details.
    There were soothsayers in many places in those days.As my father was responsible for conducting 15 marriages,he could not go deep into horoscope matching, neither did he believe in it.Normally he would give the horoscope of the girl to the boy's parents. If they said that the horoscope matched, my father would not go to the astrolger at all and automatically approve of the version of the boy's side.Even if there is 40% agreement ,he would give his concurrence, because he knew fully well that everybody's life is a 'just a pass' case and the success is only relative.
    I think I have taken after my father to question the justifiability or otherwise of astrology.

Thank you Akanksha.

jayasala 42

1 person likes this.