1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Before You Say (leadership Essentials)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by buddingleader, Oct 25, 2016.

1. buddingleader

buddingleader Silver IL'ite

Hello Everyone!

Last weekend been tough for me. I just want to talk to someone. Let me tell you what happened.

Though it was a Sunday, my husband had some work at office. He promised that he would be back by noon. I was not sure how to burn away my time. When I looked around my house, I felt it was a real mess. So, I changed to my overalls and devised a plan to clean the house. Every room in the house is mess. I have decided that I would fix each room one by one and move the dirt and unwanted things to living room. I will come back finally to living room. So, the plan is in place. I started cleaning the rooms one by one. It was tedious. Finally I have fixed all the rooms except living room. I am amazing, amn’t I? I just took a short break and when I was about to fix up the living room, I heard a door bell. Probably, my husband is back. I hurried to the door and saw through the peep hole. Yeah! Here he was keeping his promise. I didn’t have a clue that I was opening the door for my worst nightmare. He came with his colleague. Wow! Wonderful! Here I am with a broom, all sweaty and in my overalls. I was quite embarrassed even to look at his friend. To add to that, where am I going to make him sit in that messy living room? Uff!

My husband having understood the situation took his friend to the other room and managed to send him off pretty soon. In the meanwhile, I hurried to the mirror. Wow! With the messy bun and that lovely costume, I could easily pass on for a beggar. No, no! Actually in an angle, I look like a devil. In whatever angle I look, I don’t look good. Oh My God! My embarrassment changed to anger. My husband could have given me a call that he is bringing someone. I would have at least been ready. Aren’t we supposed to ask each other, before doing things? Of-course, I think you can imagine my husband’s situation after his friend left. That specific friend is permanently banned from my house.

Having said that, don’t you think such things happen even at work place? Have you ever been in a situation in which your superior agreed to do something in short time and you had to work day & night to achieve the target? Believe me, I was there many times. But why did this happen? As a manager, we may have to talk to clients directly to discuss their requirements. Instead of accepting a deadline immediately, won’t it be wise to discuss with everyone in the team and give an achievable deadline? It will make everyone in the team feel that they are important. When they are working on it, they will feel that they are not working on the deadline just proposed by someone else. Instead, they are working on the deadline proposed by them. To lead a healthy team, we should have discussion with all the team members involved. This will eventually make everyone in the team happy.

I had a manager, who exactly does that. If he gets any request from onshore team and I am supposed to do that, he will approach me immediately. He will ask me to give a deadline for that particular request. I will eventually feel accountable for the work and thrive to work hard to deliver on time. I admired his skills when it comes to getting the work done. So, let’s all practice from today the art of asking others before entering into any commitment. This is one of the important things all managers should possess. Needless to say, all husbands should possess too.

See you soon with the next post! Until then, Bye!

2. buddingleader

Thank you Kashmir Flower for liking the post.

3. buddingleader