1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Aryuveda, Home-remedies For Severe, Intolerable Anal Itch

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ChennaiExpress, Jan 13, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

My 70 something year young Dad is struggling with anal scarring due to piles surgery in 1965 India (anus got narrow over the decades) and bitched anioplasty (to widen anal area) in 2008.

Colorectal surgeon examined my Dad and also saw internal ulcers. She prescribed compound cream to treat the ulcers that includes
    1. Diltiazem
    2. Lidocaine
    3. Hydrocortisone

Now my Dad has severe, intolerable anal itching. After bowel movement he washes with water (like people do in India), and he softly pat-dries with damp cloth.

The itching (and pre-existing pain) is so intolerable that his hands shake in fear Everytime he has to clean after bowel movement.

The Colorectal Surgeon advised my Dad to apply Calmolseptine, but that made the itch FLARE up.

Like adding gasoline to fire!

So far, the only thing that is not making the itch worse is A and D ointment. Not making it better though.

Today we went to Gastroenterologist. When he did exam of sinus he diagnosed as "chronic inflammation" And when he was going to prescribe Lidocaine I said the compound that included LIdocsine is what caused the itch in the first place.

Only thing he advised was to continue A and D ointment and see original Colorectal Surgeon for follow up.

Desitin make itch worse and Dad is scared to try Analpram HC.

I know Doctors are trying their best and they are pressed for time. Somehow we are not connecting the dots.

What Aryuvedic, Hone Remedies can Dad try? Preferably a protectant, rather than risk having another flare up (no witch hazel, etc)

By the way, he eats full fiber diet (no dosa, pizza, rice, naan), takes probiotic, drinks plenty of water, and stool softener, sends, citrucel, psyllium fiber, lactulose, Calmol 4 suppositories for constipation (even thought stools are soft like dash, yet very little).

Now he is alternating between constipation and diareahha (Gastroenterologist says this is irritable bowel syndrome)

Any guidance is most helpful.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

CE, I don’t know much about the piles & his medical surgeries that you mentioned. But based on that listing of foods towards the end of your post, I can say that a full fiber diet should be enough. If you add citrucel, psyllium fiber and a softener on top of that, I think that might be an overkill & might be driving him from the constipation end to diahrrea end. So balance it out, if he is consuming a full fiber diet, he doesn’t need all those supplements on top. You may try a staggered approach by first just giving him full fiber diet, then if that constipates him add a fiber supplement. See the effect & add or deduct, if that makes sense.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  3. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

Try Kerala Ayurveda or Kottakkal Ayurveda and take their meds continuously without interruption based on the physician's recommendations. U can see the difference slow but steady. Thanks

4. ChennaiExpress

Oh wow, that makes sense!

Will discuss with him and bring up at future Drs appointment.

I'm always concerned about whether we take too many supplements.

Oh wow, I shall certainly bring this up.

Thank you :)

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP,

Can he try sitz bath. You can buy that in US. After BM , fill it with really warm water, add one or two drops of Betadine (optional). Do it for 10 minute after cleaning and washing after BM. Then wipe and apply medicines doctors suggested . It may help itch I hope.
    Also doing sitz bath just before BM can also help to relax muscle and help BM

Look like your father is taking too much fibre and suppliments. If you want a balance go for medium level fibres. Add fruits like papaya,pear ..
    Less fibre lead to constipation. Too much Fibre can irritate bowel and lead to diarrhea. It can also make stool size high.

You said about ulcer. Is it colitis? If so diet, should be watched. If so, low fibre foods like rice, fish, egg white etc helps. Start a food diary. That will give you a good idea on what good cause what. No diary products, no processed food like bread.. read more ..

Eat good food, then use only one stool softener or fibre suppliment, not both.why these many suppository needed? The overuse of them make skin in anal region vulnerable to more scarring.

Try to reduce all and then see...also try to consult an ayurveda doctor.
    ( my relative used 'bruhath thriphala choornam' from kottakkal vydyasala ( google) - an ayurveda medicine, to help with BM. It is better than modern fibre supplements and stool softners)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  6. ChennaiExpress

I like the idea of Sitz bath. Will also discuss this with him.

As for lot of suppositories, in 2012, Dr who performed colonoscopy recommended these. Colonoscopy report said Diverticulosis in sigmoid colon (I believe it is closer to anal opening), internal hemorrhoids, and anal scars.

Food diary is a great idea. Now that you mention it, even slight changes in food intake can have an effect.

Thank you for the reference to trhriphala (it sounds familiar) and kottakkal vydyasala.

I will discuss all these with Dad and help him with this.

7. DDream

OP, Sigmoid colon is the area of large intestine just above rectal cavity. He should change his diet. Piles need fiber rich food to avoid constipation, but Diverticulosis need fiber free food. So he need to balance both and reach a middle ground. Tricky situation. Go for natural foods, not processed foods as much as he can. Diet will help to manage both. So I believe you should focus more on that than taking more medicines or suppliments.

It is better to avoid suppository if there no discomfort . Have you checked description of all these stool softeners or fiber products? They suggest the use only for one week. Doctors suggest regular use only for surgery or certain medical conditions.
    Diet is an important factor to manage these kind of situations. If he is feeling bad now, try a semi-liquid diet for a few days especially for dinner ( for example Indian rice gruel or clear soups) it will help both.

Hope he feels better.

check some info
    Diverticulitis diet
    Best and Worst Foods for Hemorrhoids

8. ChennaiExpress

This is really great info.

Luckily he eats natural foods, i.e. fruits, veggies, lot of water, coffee, tea, nuts, maybe one or two chocolate candies.

Have to really discuss this with Dad. When I mentioned sitz bath just now he said he was too pressed for time :-(

Have to find out how to make this easier on him.

9. DDream

veggies, fruits and nuts are not good for colitis, it may irritate bowel, also depends on the person. You need to select what type of veg/fruit he eats carefully. He may need to remove skin of the above foods before eating or cooking.

10. ChennaiExpress

Will have to re-look at all the fruits, veggies he is eating. And he eats walnuts due to heart condition.

Luckily he removes skin (pesticides in USA)