1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

art of naming / nicknaming !!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mansimahi, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

hahaha...that is definitely an advantage with these not so unique names - :)

Thanks SSC :)

2. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

I agree..maybe cos we scatter away from the family to join new ones. But in my family even they don't get to escape..lol My mother's name is HemaLatha. There was already a Hema in the family when she married, so she was called Latha in my father's place and Hema in her mother's. When her brother got married, there was yet another Hema and this Hema is the victim -they changed her name after marriage to Radha to match her husband's name Murali..lol
    After this, anyone with the name Hema would prefer avoiding connections with the whole lot f us..lol

1 person likes this.
  3. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Thanks happy2be :)

4. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

hahaha...true...tambram are a unique lot :) My mom at 70 is still called papa and my aunt who is nearing 80 is called baby.... my daughters laugh out everytime someone calls out to my mom by her nickname papa ...

thanks janani,,,

5. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

[​IMG][​IMG]...my mom is called "paaapa" and my daughters make fun of her all the time... my cousin was named ganesh after my grandfather...but my grandmother used to call him "genchu"..and that name stuck...noone calls him ganesh anymore!!

Dont know if he did manage to catch the flight ... but i am sure being called "superman" would have more than made up for it :D

Thanks cheeniya sir for your delightful fb :)

1 person likes this.
  6. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Kondhai is soo cute... :D i too have an aunt by name "baby". baby seems to be quite common for women in iyer families ...giving close competition to "ambi" i guess :)

Thanks viji ma ...here in il you are so beloved that most of us add "ma" suffix to your name... :)

7. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

I have seen in maharashtrian weddings, the brides name is changed ...giving her a new identity in the in-laws house... i always thought that custom was charming.... realised now this name change has an advantage too...avoiding confusions and also choose a matching name with that of the groom - interesting :D

thanks.

1 person likes this.
  8. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

LOL Sumitha. How very true! Growing up, we had a family in our neighborhood that had such fascinating nicknames for their young ones like 'dabbu', 'jillu', 'lochee', 'jittu' etc. :rotflAnd naturally, the same family had many ambis in its family tree. Ambi mama, Ambi chithappa, Ambi athimber etc. etc......:confused2:They even had a grandmother that everyone called 'Paappa Paatti'.:spin Like I said, fascinating group of people and without doubt, I loved every one of them. :) Lovely post Sumitha. :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hahaha Sumitha
    Oh yes! What's in a name, they say. But what do they know.
    I really feel sorry for the rohans in your family!

It is a good Saturday for me...returning after a long time to IL i was happy to read and laugh so much with Meena's snippets and now yours.

Loved the joke on the man missing his flight. It reminded me how I almost missed getting my driver's license.
    I was waiting for a long time for folks to call my name for the driver's test. They were announcing some names and almost an hour later I was fuming how inefficient these folks were, etc. etc. Finally I got up and went to the counter asking when they will call me, they said they've been calling my name at least ten times!

How would I know my three syllable name could sound like, "camel", "karma", "camilla", "oh-i-cant-say this", "this-is-so dfficult"...and so on.

Loved your article and love your signature line :)

2 people like this.
  10. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Hi Sumitha,

Ha ha ha.. lovely post it is... enjoyed it :):)

1 person likes this.