1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are you making memories with your children ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by sudha65, May 14, 2013.

1. sudha65

sudha65 Bronze IL'ite

"These times are your children's good ol' times" When I read this in an article in the newspaper it made me wonder...am I making enough good memories for my children to recall as good ol' times when they grow up ?

I like to think I am...

What do i remember of my childhood ? Mostly the good times, most often it was just the everyday stuff...

So do i make everyday life interesting ?
    So is our everyday life interesting enough for our children to remember it fondly and refer to it as their good ol' times ?
    Do we indulge them ?
    Do we discipline them ?
    Do we attempt to teach them values ?
    Do we show them that we love them unconditionally ?
    Do we spend quality time with them ?
    Do we laugh with them ?

If your answer is YES then you're doing a great job parenting and making memories !

Making memories is easy. A whole evening playing scrabble with even the youngest joining it with cat mat rat is a memory. An impulsive dinner out is a memory. Not giving permission for a sleepover is a memory. Involving the kids in your charity endeavours is a memory. A family ritual (a midnight birthday greeting) is a memory. A quick hug and a shared laugh is a memory.

But, your good ol' days will never be the same as your childrens. You will not be bringing up your children as your parents brought you up. You will always want to do better. And as parents we are all trying to do our best all the time. Its not easy. Its hard. But along the way we have good times and those perfect moments will be our children's good ol' times.

So what about you, are you making memories with your kids ?

2 people like this.

Similar Threads
    1. Shanvy
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. aproop
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. aarthi
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Do we indulge them ? - trying to
    Do we discipline them ? - check
    Do we attempt to teach them values ? - check
    Do we show them that we love them unconditionally ?- i do but not sure if he understands it :)
    Do we spend quality time with them ? - working on it
    Do we laugh with them ? - yes..yes...yes

i hope tomorrow when my baby looks back he has lots of good memories from his childhood...i hope i can be a good mother to him.I know i wont be as good as my mom...but will still try

Thanks sudha for sharing it here :thumbsup:

1 person likes this.
  3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

whatever we do is OUR memory.........kids may percieve or remember them differently...........for instance during our Dubai vist we could get booking to see Burj Khaliffa(tallest building) for midnight...........now,i remember the experience of being on tallest building but my kids remember it as the night when they have to stay awake late into night,go to Dubai Mall by nearly deserted Dubai metro .............so i have experience of jubilation but they have experience of discomfort.

As parent we tend to shield them from bad experience or negative emotions but many a times kids percieve them differently.............we experienced an accident on road & I tried to get my kids to look in other direction but my kids insisted on looking at the scene & later they marvelled at the way paramedics were pulling out the injured from car & police was directing the traffic so as to avoid the jams...........regarding accident & the injury to people they had no understanding................so I saw an accident but my kids saw people helping each other & doing their duty.............

2 people like this.
  4. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Nice post Sudha. Yes I am trying to create memories for my DS. Like making his day memorable at his creshe with his bday party...it wasnt a big hush hush but DS & his friends do talk about it after almost a month.

Took him to watch his chota bheem movie....hope it is a memory for him to watch his first movie...in his words chota bheem on biiiiigggg tv :D

Our bedtime stories & character plays hopefully is a memory for him which he remembers when he grows out of it

Also had created an email id for him where I drop mails occassionaly with what I would like to tel him but cant coz of his age.....or itsy bitsy things....just like a diary...only addressing to him....attaching pics & videos wherever possible so he knows he was a real sweet naughty boy in his childhood....

Wanna do a lot more for him....thanks to ur post I remembered its been a while I wrote to him.....doing it rite away........

2 people like this.
  5. sudha65

sudha65 Bronze IL'ite

You have made a very valid point, Mahajanpragati. All of our memories are from our perspective. It will differ for each and every person. The exact same incident seen from the same spot at the same time will be narrated differently by 2 people. Sometimes I think that's what makes life interesting. :)

6. sudha65

sudha65 Bronze IL'ite

I like your idea of an email-id to which you keep writing, DGcreative. When your DS grows up I'm sure he will appreciate it. Have fun with making memories for him.

7. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

aww! Thankyou for sharing this article, dear.
    As much tired I'm or stressed out, I try to read out 2(but always ends up with#) stories during these summer holidays. I got the same book for my DD that was once my fav as a child(Woodland Stories and Willie the mole is now her fav as he was mine!)
    I try & hug her as & when I can( though I sometimes forget to after the lil guy has arrived and amongst the daily chores)
    I try to involve her too in designing her dress(which I sew) and we do it in the afternoons when DS sleeps. But now that you posted this, I'll try and make more good memories instead of the bad ones(like yelling & beating) Sigh!

8. sudha65

sudha65 Bronze IL'ite

Glad you liked this post, which was written by me, Shruthipraveen. I was prompted by this line "These times are your children's good ol' times" which I saw in an article in a newspaper.

Good luck with making more good memories. :)

9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Thats so sweet