Are you considered a LOSER if you return back to India?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by anika987, Apr 19, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

are u questioned non stop on why u r back?

2 people like this.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I would like to know the answer too!

I am moving back soon.one of my buddies who moved back was questioned"oh! something wrong?""why r u back to India from USA" et cetc

3. larapowell

larapowell Bronze IL'ite

I can't speak on behalf of everyone. But I don't think you should be worried about it. What you should concentrating at should be something like getting accustomed to India's climate, social situation etc.

sindmani and (deleted member) like this.
  4. RPVAIL

RPVAIL Silver IL'ite

Not at all. Now there are enough people (most with Citizenship and some with Green Cards) who have 'by choice' moved back to India. Given the social norms and habits, there will be questions on the move.

My personal take is, we don't owe anyone any lengthy explanation on this aspect. We decided to move and we moved...would be enough as a general answer. However if you feel like expanding on the reasons that would be your choice.

By the way, if there are leading questions like '....Is something wrong? ' then they deserve a strong answer for their meanness. You can retort with '...why do you think so?'.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

I doubt it in the present day and age. Lot of people are going back to their respective countries, not just Indians. I read somewhere that many other nationalities too like europeans etc have surrendered their citizenship and moved back to their countries, mainly to avoid the high taxes, property taxes, etc. Going back to rejoin family and to raise kids with grandparents relatives and expose to indian culture is a reason no one can question or raise their eyebrows.

6. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

I was asked many times and still being asked as to why I moved back.
    But interestingly, these questions only came from young people who have never been out of india and who are waiting eagerly to experience it.
    So, I just say that my parents are ageing even though i moved back 'by choice' due to many other reasons. That stops further questions..
    Its tough to explain them the concept of 'belonging','loneliness', love for India', etc feelings...they will be like....'I still don't understand why you moved back'..

7. fellowblogger

fellowblogger Silver IL'ite

Yes there will be lot of questions. Whatever answers you give will not satisfy them..they will also be keen so closely watch on what kind of life you are leading in India since you are a US return..

8. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Yes and No.

When we moved to India from US, my parents were happy and didn't dig around the details of the reason behind our decision. Whatever was it, they were happy we were with them. But as YoGirl rightly said, I faced questions from people who never left India and so badly want to experience foreign life, like 'Were the jobs difficult there?', 'Did you struggle for Indian food?', 'Problem with your husband?', 'when people from here wants to go there, why did you come here?' etc. But my colleagues in India, who had seen life abroad, totally understood me and in fact appreciated the reason.