Are we running away from our roots??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shibhya, Sep 14, 2009.

1. shibhya

shibhya New IL'ite

Indian culture is the 'oldest & greatest' of all.If we look back,we'll find; we were civilized people.
    we've believed in the philosophy of "MATRI DEVO BHAVAH,PITRI DEVO BHAVAH,ATITHI DEVO BHAVAH".And thousands
    of years old 'Veda Scriptures' describes our social system & moral education,to be a perfect human being.

That means we should worship our parents & guests like GOD.
    MATRI means mother
    PITRI means Father
    ATITHI means Guest(whosoever visit our house)

But these days, I've noticed; how the 21st century 'youth' blindly following western culture.
    They are forgetting our INDIAN CULTURE(SANSKRITI).Just to get everything in life, that too by fast
    means.They are adapting wrong life style.Which is spoiling their mental & physical well being.
    Which reminds me of '__ incident' of abusing girls in a pub,murder of a school student by another & MMS scandal etc.

1st of all,don't you think? we parents are responsible for our children upbringing.One side;
    we want our child to be modern,smart & best among all.For that we fulfill their wishes, whether it's good or bad.
    Other side we want him/her to be well behaved and respectful to parents(agyakaari).
    In this competitive era(age of Kaliyug);every parents want to make their child 'a celebrity hook or crook.
    I've watched 'TALENT SHOWS' on TV.Initially they were good. But gradually converted to a battle field.
    When someone child was out, due to some judgment.Parents start using such bad words to each other or pointing
    fingers to other children.They go to any extent to get their child on number one position.

I ask you;is this the "INDIAN CULTURE"? Who used to believe in above philosophy.
    If you want your child to be an 'INDIAN IDOL'.First you should set an example before him.Other wise same child
    will kick you out in the name or fame game,when you'll grow old.If you will show jealousy & hatred for others,
    same can happen to you also.And the day is no far; when our wrong values will impact us, adversely.Soon,We'll be
    shifted to 'old age homes'."AS YOU SOW, SO SHALL YOU REAP".

We have become so much selfish & materialistic that we have left our age old value system.
    Do you know? INDIA was called as "SONE ki Chidiya". Where mother used to tell stories of great personalities to
    their children.such as "Sri RAMA,Sri Krishna,Rani Kaxmi bai,Shivaji,Swami vivekananda,Dhruvtara,Bhakt Prahalad",
    the list is endless.

Hope this time my THREAD will be included??As i'm trying it for the 4th time..

2. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

I agree Shibya with what you said. Very well said!

We truly are turning ourselves into a bunch of hypocrites.

It is not only Indians in India. I have seen lot of our people here who want their kids to be like Americans in every other aspect but when it comes to their child's marriage then they want him to obey them. All his life this child has heard only abuse of India. C'mon now he is an adult and wants to lead his life his way just like any other American.

You will be shocked to hear that when my dd told after we returned from summer vacation in India that she loves India, some people asked me how come she is born in the US but says she likes India. One lady said my son hates India because there are mosquitoes,lot of traffic,pollution,beggars and he is not used to all this here.Moreover he is born here so he is bound to love this country only. Some even say that their kids did not enjoy living in India because grandparents cannot converse in English. For some, speaking to your kids in your language is not so modern too.:bonk

I told her my DD loves India because she has her grandparents,aunts and uncles and cousins with whom she had so much fun that she didn't have any time left to notice traffic or pollution or mosquitoes,;-)

Which country doesn't have its minuses but some of our people here comment on things in a way that you only feel pity and miserable for them.
    Now this very bunch of hypocrites want their kids to grow up and look after them,take care in old age. They get depressed,upset when the child shows them the way to old age home.:biglaugh

Yeah, that is right...As you sow, so shall you reap.

Adara

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. Roopali

Roopali New IL'ite

Yes definitely... As our economy's growing, people are leaving the traditions and customs behind and are getting more and more westernized.

4. shibhya

shibhya New IL'ite

Hi! Adara,

Nice! to know that, there are some serious people like you.Who at least give a thought:coffee where we INDIANS are heading? Time has come to spread awareness among those who are just vying to send their children ABROAD.It seems that their only purpose to raise their child is to make him famous among all.In turn they won't think.What harm they are doing to their children OR to society. once you start upbringing your child in a foreign country; He/She will adapt that culture automatically. Then whom to blame? Because it's a human tendency to fulfill our dreams/wishes through children.As we couldn't make it, so why not our children?

It reminds me;Swami Vivekananda respond to a person who wants to make him low,Because he was wearing Saffron robe and eating only vegetables & fruits while journeying.He says" I am proud to be an Indian,as my country made me able to teach you 'people' of WESTERN COUNTRIES, that how to conduct & behave with your guest?"

As he aptly says" Courage is Strength,Fear is death".

MORAL of the story: We are no lesser to any one.Always Aim high.
    ARISE! AWAKE!,STOP NOT TILL WE MAKE OUR INDIA "sone ki chidiya":2thumbsup:

5. shibhya

shibhya New IL'ite

That's very true Roopali!!

We have entered in a blind rat race of Globalization.Leaving our culture behind.

6. ChinnuZ

ChinnuZ New IL'ite

Hi

Most of the people are not going to like my comment on this issue.

My children really liked India and didn't even want to come back after their vacation when they were little kids. After last year's visit, my teenage daughter doesn't want to go back. The main reason is the way guys treat ladies. I was scared to walk with my daughter because of the way those so called typical Indian culture people treated us. I have asked my husband to hold my DD's hand when we walked in streets, but it didn't help either. Kochi is my favorite place but not at all safe for ladies. I felt like at Mumbai, guys didn't even look at us, but Chennai we had the same experience as at kochi.

One thing I have noticed is that ladies in India are so used to it and it doesn't bother them at all. In USA, we are not used to it and it really bothered me a lot there. I feel much safer in USA than being in India.

No matter in which country you are, teach your kids to have dignity.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  7. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

I totally agree with chinuz on that. Here, in the US except in those places like downtowns etc at night most other places are pretty much safe for ladies. I go shopping alone sometimes at night 11 to those grocery stores that are 24hrs open. It is quite and peaceful to shop that time I feel.
    When it comes to treating ladies especially some stranger it takes a long way for men in India to go. Really, what the h@#% have the men got to do with some lady going on the street. They just think they have the license to comment on how she looks ,dresses or what not. Even a boy as young as 10yrs old can comment on a 40yr old lady...:rant
    I don't know when these menfolk in India will learn to respect a woman. Don't they see she is a daughter,sister or mother to someone?
    It is sometimes so embarrassing to go in a crowded place. Men in India look for an opportunity.

What sort of culture is that? Indian culture is great but it is degrading over time and for this we dare not blame the west.

Adara

8. shibhya

shibhya New IL'ite

Hi!Chinuz,

I completely agree with you that now a days Safety! is a major concern for everyone.Some anti-elements are spoiling our image.Because people can make or break a country.Even I've been to abroad number of times.I saw people behaving very well but I had a bad experience there too.we(me,my husband,sister & my BIL) went to see Newyork. It was around evening so we decided to get back to Hotel.As some of our friends told us it's not safe to walk around in streets of NY esp. at night.Then we started looking for our parking area, somehow we forgot the street no. etc. So we went to some counter(which was for taking bus tour at night).There one guy was standing, so we asked him directions.He said you come along with me I'll guide you.Suddenly my BIL thought sth is wrong?he said no-no,we have to go somewhere else.Sorry! to bother you.You can't believe it he started following us,stopped us and asked some dollar.I was realy scared what will happen next.but my BIL handled him,very smartly.We just left that place & felt relieved!Similar experiences I've heard from my other f'd's also.
    My point is: it can happen to anyone in any country.I'm not against any culture!Only
    thing is we should learn good things from others but also should not forget our values & conduct.After all each of us represent our country.We have some responsibility towards our Motherland also!We always blame others or the system.Did we try at least for a once to correct the system?Can we take the initiative to make things smooth for those who really deserve(esp.who has given their lives for our freedom) it?
    My message: it's not bad to live in another country but just being selfish is wrong.
    I've seen number of Indians who was living a luxurious life abroad.After some years they got realized; sth is missing from their lives?Even after 10-15 yrs they shifted back to India Happily!So can you tell me which thing attracted them to comeback to their native place????

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

As all of you have pointed out, it is entirely up to us as parents how our children turn out and us as adults how to project the image of our country. I am for now very glad to say that I know quite a few kids 10 - 13 year olds who being in their teens or close to are very well grounded. I sometimes wonder how well their parents have brought them up because they almost have two lives - one where they follow Indian traditions customs, classical dances and singing, dramas, shloka recitals, going to temple, volunteering etc and on the other hand fit in prefectly at school, do well, get good grades, not fall in to bad company etc. So it is entirely upto the parents and the kind of attitude they have. Also while some of my friends are decidely going to stay here, some have an attitude of this is a big wide world, we can live anywhere, while some want to come back to India - hence in all the cases the only thing they are aware and want to preserve is culture and tradition - we can only teach what we know best and when that happens even if children look like they are rotesting, I am sure it will help them in the long run.

As for eve teasing, well I have to agree it is in bad taste and is prevalent everywhere. Atleast in places like NY or other downtown areas, we are aware that things can be bad and have a chance to avoid but with this....it doesnot matter, they just do it anywhere and everywhere!

10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot, Srama - I was doing my darndest to stay away from this thread to preserve my blood pressure, but now that you've posted here, I can't resist ;)

I agree with Srama and the other sensible posts on this thread. It is short-sighted (and insulting to those of us born and raised outside of India) to say or imply that only Indian culture and values are worth emulating or having. No country or culture has a monopoly on decency - not everything in the West is corrupt and immoral. If it was, then it'd be a real mystery why so many Indians flock to Western countries.

As others have said, it is ultimately up to the individual to decide how he or she will live, and how he or she will bring their children up. After all, we can never say what will happen down the road anyway. In spite of some parents' best efforts in ideal circumstances, children still sometimes go astray (in all cultures). So let's not be so simplistic as to imply that geography has absolute power over whether our children turn out well or not.

Also, I don't think it's fair to judge people who have decided to change or adopt a different culture or way of life. To each his own - who are we to disparage or ridicule people who decide to dress differently, or speak differently, or eat differently? People have different ways of adapting to new environments. If an Indian moves to America and starts speaking with an American accent, so what? I'm certainly not going to sit in judgement of that person (unless I have an overwhelming inferiority complex, or am eaten up by jealousy). As long as that person is not threatening me and my way of life, I'm happy to let him or her go their way. I don't even have to associate with that person if what they are doing bugs me. But I also don't have to pick on them, as long as I'm happy with what I'm doing with my life.

So, to answer the question that this thread asks, yes, maybe some people are running away from their roots. I'm questioning the automatic supposition that's driving this thread that that's a bad thing. I personally think it's none of my business whether my neighbour remembers his roots or not. More important to me is whether that person is fundamentally decent - and by decent, I'm referring to those values that are not culture-specific, like honesty, kindness, and all that other good stuff.