1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Are Vitamin Supplements Safe ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by shravs3, Jul 25, 2018.

1. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Make sure to go for a yearly physical and have all the routine tests done. These days low vitamin and/or hormonal imbalance is mostly seen among women of all ages. In case of vitamin deficiency do not go for the over the counter vitamins from a regular drug store instead visit a good vitamin store that provides high quality vitamins.

Consuming supplements is simply not enough, balanced meals with nutrition is very much needed with exercise.Indian food can be made healthy and tasty with a few tips and tricks.Few protein options for vegetarians are lentils, Kabuli Chana, eggs, quinoa,soya beans, green peas, Greek yoghurt, nuts such as almonds and walnuts,edamame.

Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet to help your body absorb vitamins and minerals.Any food thats deep fried loses most of its nutritional value, reduce intake of such foods.There are tons of healthy food recipes in different cuisines on YouTube, you could try those.Balancing carbs, protein, fats and fiber is the key to a healthy body.

A diet and fitness app can help balance your meals until you get the hang of it,you could try MyFitnessPal or HealthifyMe or any other fitness app of your choice.Lack of sleep is hazardous too, make appropriate life style changes.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    shravs3 likes this.
  2. Minie34

Minie34 Bronze IL'ite

I was quite hooked onto multivitamins for a while but I don't think it helped me in anyway which a good diet won't. I also watched this documentary on BBC Earth which said multivitamin don't really help much over a good balanced diet. I was also deficient in vitamin D for which I took supplements. Once my levels came back to normal I no longer take it.

shravs3 likes this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the reply Veena. You are right nothing beats balanced diet. I already have both the apps but sometimes I’m just lazy to enter the meal details. I know lazy me :tired::facepalm:

4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Tats nice. I remember reading somewhere that if once we are VIT D deficient then we shouldn’t stop taking supplements . Is tat true ? How are you able to maintain the levels now?

5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Multivitamins prevent that "run down feeling" you can get because of the busy-ness of life. Mums with young kids would know this kind of ennui.

We each take gelatin caps we mail order from nuskin supplements.
    We are not strict vegetarians; but since we are always on some low calorie diet, these vitamins are helpful to keep the energy levels to get through the day's chores.

shravs3 likes this.
  6. Minie34

Minie34 Bronze IL'ite

My level was 14 before supplement. After supplement for 6 months it rose to 70+.

Vitamin D stay stored in the body for sometime.

I'm no longer deficient now. Testing it once a year. Some sun exposure everyday or every other day for about 20 mins. One egg a day n one cup milk (Full milk coffee) in breakfast n fish.

shravs3 likes this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Minie34 likes this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the reply @Amulet. True since I’m a vegetarian I feel I’m deficient in some things and there are not many options out there, so I used to take these multi vitamins. But wasn’t sure if it’s safe if we have regularly

9. bhavani06

bhavani06 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Can someone suggest me best supplement for arthritis joint pains. Which one is better? Krikland vs Doctot's Best.
    I came across an article which says, the store brands sold in costco etc are not really effective. Is it true?

10. pinkpeony

pinkpeony Senior IL'ite

I think they are, and sometimes they are required, in case of deficiencies.

bhavani06 likes this.