1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are Sons Harder To Raise?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by BhumiBabe, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

when the Y chromosome responsible for son's birth comes from the father??appreciation for what?

satchitananda and sindmani like this.
  2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

God only knows. I used to wonder why my mil or other people I know are so particular about male child.ONCE SHE TOLD ABOUT HER CO SIS (SHE HAS ONE DAUGHTER , ONLY CHILD), THAT SHE HAS NO SON SO SHE IS IN A PITIABLE STAGE.I REALLY WONDER WHY. MY THAT PARTICULAR SIS IN LAW IS DOING PERFECTLY FINE ABOUT TO GET MARRIED. SON OR DAUGHTER WILL BE FINE , NOTHING LIKE DIFFERENCE BECAUSE OF GENDER, DIFFERS ONLY IN BRINGING UP. SWAMI VIVEKANANDA BECAME GREAT (SON), KALPANA CHAWLA(A DAUGHTER) BECAME GREAT.

BeingSoulful and Naari like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

For 'catching' the right one or brickbats for not doing so!

salad, BeingSoulful, Sunburst and 2 others like this.
  4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

haha! I like that..MIL implying "my eggs are super smart, just like me!";)

:rolleyes::shakehead:

salad, BeingSoulful and satchitananda like this.
  5. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

No BB, sons are not hard, as someone depends on the child. Yes, there is difference in the way sons behave - their play is so aggressive, it feels like they are fighting when they are just interacting with each other. But then again, my brother was so soft as a kid, he was aggressive but physically I was the one who used to bully him. When I see my sons, I feel I could have treated him a lot better. I always wanted a sister as a kid, but with time, I felt my brother was much better than a sister. What I shared with him, perhaps I would not have shared with a sister if I had one. He was that comfortable as a sibling. I love my sons, a daughter would be wonderful too, but no, I would not replace either of them just for a daughter. They are what they are and they make me happy the way they are.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  6. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

I think as teenagers, both boys and girls can be difficult to raise:roflmao:
    My parents do not have sons, and while I was growing up they/I did have to face a lot of judgment, to be honest. Comments from relatives about my skin, hair, clothes, friends etc. Though I have to give it to them for not paying much heed to this and raising me the way they wanted to.

Now I have a son, and since I did not grow up with brothers, I see the the easier part of raising a son vis-a-vis a daughter. First of all, comments from people are much much less that what I faced as a child, his good traits are highlighted more, and no comments on looks etc. (on the other hand, even if he is dressed just a tad, some people gush about how handsome he is lol!)

I do feel sometimes that having a daughter would give me a friend, a companion to talk to possibly when I get older, but as a PP said, I would never ever trade my son for a daughter.
    Sometimes he makes me wonder how cute and adorable boys can actually be :)
    And in my circle, I see some families where the teenage Indian son spends a lot of time with parents, helps them out etc.

BhumiBabe, sindmani and Naari like this.
  7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Daughters are adorable , friends for life , my personal view . yes sons are good too . a daughter will always be close to mom, they are easier to handle as toddlers. Even as teens they will understand things more quickly because girl's emotional maturity is higher.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  8. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Some parents of the previous generation felt that way as they had the added pressure of making sure that their son succeeds academically and land a well paying job or be successful in a business venture, as it was a requisite to get a suitable match.. but they didnt have push the girl so much, as it was ok to get her married off , there were less expectations for the girl to work and earn outside of home..
    Thankfully things are changing now!

Kera, sindmani and BhumiBabe like this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Parents have to worry a lot about daughters. Less so with sons.
    USDA puts out helpful calculation each year on the cost of raising a child. This is mere accounting cost, not the emotional or economic cost of raising one. They dont seem to differentiate between a boy and a girl.

10. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

There may be a lot of truth in that. Sons were considered solid investments, so parents poured more money for their son's development.

The strange thing is, my MIL is a working woman, a 12 std girls school teacher, who just retired. I would think she knew better than that.

Kera and sindmani like this.