1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Are a Majority of Indians Veg or Non-Veg?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by cheer, Oct 23, 2006.

Are you vegetarian or Non-Vegetarian?

1. Vegetarian

57.8%
  2. Non-Vegetarian

42.2%
  1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    yesterdy I read in The Week that 64% of India is NV and the South is more NV than North. And I too feel that most Keralites are NV. I lived in a Brahmin locality in Trivandrum, so was not familiar about the habits of other Keralites. But now my brother lived in Ernakulam for 12 years. My sil avoided his office parties or get together at colloeagues houses because only NV food was served and liquor flowed like water. Even I had been to some of the events and felt that liqour should be avoided in this manner. And mind you, this was a middle class people's get together, not a hi society party.
    Then I hve some Malayale Hindu friends. Mostly the women of the household cook pork or chicken and rice only. That is eaten for lunch and dinner. When slightly hungry, omelette is the best option. One of my friend stayed in Chennai for a few years and he used to always lament that his wife never cooked the traditional veg food. It is always beef or pork with chapathy at night. (Omelette and bread for breakfast and lunch ourside for both). The left over is refrigerated and used for nearly 2 or 3 days. On weekends, shopping and eating out.He used to devour the sambhar and rasam when they visit us.
    This may be an odd case. But most people who live there also finish the cooking in one go and refrigerate. They reheat at dinner time.
    My brother used to eat NV when he was living by himself in Bangalore. Then he had cholestrol problem and had a heart attack at a young age. Then he stopped it altogether. (This is to say that even though brought up as veggie, he started eating NV). My hubby's colleague is a NV but his wife does not cook that at home. he eats in office and outside.
    One thing is, when there are both veg and NV dishes, the NVs go for the NV only.
    And Latha, the supermarkets in Cochin have more than 4 fridges and a big cooler for storing the chicken etc. and only 1 for milk etc. The shelfs in the dry area have more dried fish etc. than we see in Chennai. And I have heard that even in places like Calicut, veg is not much available.
    Actually there is a joke also. One veggie went to a hotel and said that he wanted veg food. Then the server removed the pieces of NV from the gravy and served him the gravy as veg. His explanation was that he had removed the nv piece and there should not be a problem in eating the gravy. How is that?
    I have heard that Bengalis, both vegs and NVs, eat fish. Is it true?
    But I would say that eating food, veg or NV, is one's own choice and there is nothing wrong if somebody likes NV more.

2. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Don't take it to heart

Dear Cheer,

Cheer up . I didn't blame you. Sorry if I was rude. That generalisation hurt, that's why .

Latha :wave

3. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

veggie gravy

Dear Varloo,

I have also heard of that joke. They say that it was inthe central area. ie Kottayam, Cochin and mavelikkara area, pork and beef play the main part
    in the menu. Like you say drinks is the main problem of Kerala. :cry:

My nephew who was studying at the engg college at poonjar (I hope the spelling is right) used to complain. Mind you, he is non-veg ,he used to tell me, you get only parotta and beef curry or appam and beef curry in the morning for breakfast. He'll get nothing else to eat.

That happens in kerala, but not all are like that. You can eat non-veg but not daily. Once in a while is ok. That's all. Whenever we get fresh fish we make it, sometimes chicken. We do not buy anything else.
    Latha

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Latha,
    My brother in law used to travel to Calicut in the 80s often. He told me this joke as it if it had happened there.
    As you have said, eating NV daily may be boring. But my hubby's company rpovide the best food for its employees. Both V and NV are available. One has to book daily what one wants an hour in advance. He usually books for NV whenever there is a special item, not for him but for his colleague. He also says there is a big excitement when the NV is a good item. He also says that rice is taken only by the veggies, the others eat only the NV items. And I have heard many of my Kerala friends saying that they could not eat without NV daily.
    Have you been away from our naadu for long? I visit at least thrice a year and in summer I stay for 2 months.

5. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

Maybe I am missing out the latest trend from Kerala. I travel once or twice ,but mostly to Palghat and Thrissur.That's all . And that too I don't have to go to any hotel and I don't stay for long either. Only small holidays. Within a week or so we come back.
    As you say may be I am missing out something.
    Latha

6. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

No probs latha, have a nice weekend!

Cheers:mrgreen:

7. Aman

Aman New IL'ite

Re: who said fish is a vegge?????

hi,
    whats up?sorry i just read this thread.i was so surprised to see that people saing fish is a veggie,commom guys,gimme one good reason which proves fish is a vegge.can u find a fish when u go to a veggie store?ofcource no,but if u go to meat shop and ask for fish i bet u'll get it there.
    Regards
    Aman

8. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

its funny to say fish is vegie so i guess eggs also is considered as veg?

9. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Great to know lots of vegetarians:2thumbsup: