1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Appropriate Gifting To Kids Aged 1-6 For Birthday

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by curtainsdown, Aug 2, 2016.

1. curtainsdown

curtainsdown Silver IL'ite

I recently celebrated my child's birthday party - invited about 100 guests - this was the first time we had a big celebration outside of our house and close relatives.

Some of the gifts that we received made me think if I did the right thing by throwing a party. And we are talking about gifting friends made through child's school, bus, activity classes etc.... Some of the gifts we received are extremely spendy - extravagant - not the kinds that we would ourselves buy for the kid that bought us these.. So trying to get some perspective here as to what is the correct amount you guys spend on gifts when your child is invited to a birthday party.

We had dinner and tattoo at our party.. apart from cakes and balloons - nothing fancy like magic show and all......

Also my return gifts were too meagre compared to some of the gifts I received. I am almost embarrassed to meet these parents after :)

So thoughts please?

shyamala1234 likes this.

2. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Dear curtainsdown...everything depends on the pocket...if you can afford then giving a small one might offend the other person..But if your budget is on the economy side then gift a simple but thoughtful gift..
    Above everything...it's the love and thoughtfulness with which you give the gift matters...

3. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

.....suppose the child's birthday is around the time school session changes then perhaps a new bag...bottle...pencil box with stationery items or a lunch box with candies would be best...
    During winters...my elder one normally receive woolen caps..stockings n gloves..sweaters n jackets as b-day present.

MehulAtharvMom likes this.
  4. curtainsdown

thanks dc24. I agree. My return gifts were very thoughtful I think.... but all the invited guests and ourselves are almost on the same economy scale - atleast comparable scale - so this is more of a question of generosity than affordability I think.... thats why I want to put the question out there in an anonymous forum so that we don't feel bad about divulging a rupee value??

Let us assume our kids go to a school that has an annual fees of about 75k per year in Bangalore.

5. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

...good story books...if the child is studious types....If the child loves outdoor playing then badminton racket set etc

6. curtainsdown

Yes- great story books are my staple gifts. I can see myself gifting miniature sized badminton rackets too to a young child.... - not the pricey 2k+ types that serious players (even kids) use.

Anyone mind telling me a rough range of rupee value one would invest in a gift to your child's bus mate say.....

7. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Rs300- 400

8. curtainsdown

Aah thanks! now if I received a 2k+ gift what do I do?? may be even 3k!!

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Curtainsdown,
    Many gifts come in multiple numbers, especially pencil boxes, colour pencils, crayons etc. However rush the receiver may be we have to fix our budget. Because we should not differentiate between a very rich kid or not so rich kid. Leaving the aspect of money I feel books are the best gifts suitable to their age....even unknowingly that they have that book already. They would never go waste. How much we have spend is immaterial. They are priceless. We always give books as return gifts also.
    Syamala

10. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

@curtainsdown
    Eventually everything boils down to the budget...if you are comfortable with equal value gift of 2-3k on the child's bday..then go ahead...no problem..But if budget considerations are there..then stick to your own budget strictly...
    it's ultimately other good qualities that take precedence....the way a person speak to others..how mature.helpful and understanding the person is..if the parents know of these qualities in you then these monetary issues will take a backseat...
    As far as return gifts are concerned...i don't like to differentiate between the kids...so i gift them equally arnd 200-300 INR...