1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Tried Online For Groceries And Veggies Shopping? Suggestions Please.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gknew, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

@Mehana @shravs3
    Dr. Fauci of the Naitonal Institutes of Infectious Diseases says that we shouldn't bother with boxes we receive from delivery services.

So don't be scared of opening boxes. Just use gloved hands, and get what's inside the box right pronto.

shravs3 and Rihana like this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

upload_2020-3-27_16-57-45.png
    I also wanted to add "take advantage of the locked-in situation, use some disinfectant wipes, and then pin him down on the floor and have your way with him". But then, thought that would be leading innocenti towards cognoscenti. Italy has much troubles already without any of us pointing to them for contributing to our decadence.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana All the delivery services in many places are completely overwhelmed. Some people have complained that Instacart and even Amazon are scheduling for 3-4 days out and then still keep changing delivery times if they can’t get shoppers.
    Also since so many items are sold out the shoppers are also having a tough time. Instacart is like Uber where your order is visible to several people and they can choose whether they take it or pass. That’s why the suggestion of low number of items+excellent tip has gained popularity in these times.

Rihana likes this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Very good info. Just when I wondered Trevor’s humour is missing, there came the ending :grin:

5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks That’s a very good tip!

MalStrom likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks MalStrom. Will try that later. Right now it is not even letting me shop at Costco, Target or Safeway.

Attached Files:

MalStrom likes this.
  7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Corona is a protein molecule .Even if you wash your stuff with soap water you should be fine. It doesn't transfer through healthy skin ( means no cut). As long as you wash the containers(if you have gloves good) and take a shower immediately you don't need to worry much. The trick is one person to wash and other person to clean without cross contamination .
    Wipes doesn't guarantee removing of this molecules. Soap helps to break down the molecules. In fact soap is first recommended line of defense.
    Online orders are getting harder. I see many complaints from instacart employees about lack of payment. Generous tip is necessity. You know this reminds me of days when we used to get delivery from grocery store back in India. The guy(called annachi in tamil) who does the packing always adds a free snack. Every time the order arrived I will be more curios to find that one single free snack .

Mehana likes this.
  8. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

No luck on Costco instacart at my location. The time delivery button is disabled.

But Walmart drive pickup - tommorow Saturday showed up for me. Anyone incase need something, try Walmart drive pickup.

mangaii likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Instacart newbie here.

All the time slots for the next couple of weeks are sold out.

Is there a work around? TIA.

10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The next best thing is to look for a store that offers curbside pickup.
    I have been going to the store once every 10 days or so. Wegmans is disinfecting the cart handles before handing off to customers. They make shoppers stand behind a certain distance at the checkout counters and wipe the belt down after each customer. The clerks are all wearing gloves. I carry my own Clorox wipes and wear a mask and disposable gloves. It looks like most people have done their stockpiling by now so it’s not too crowded in the afternoons.
    Some people do self checkout to avoid interacting with the cashier.

Amica, Rihana and mangaii like this.