Anyone learning Japanese?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by tanoshii, Jan 23, 2012.

1. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Wow..Sabita, its good to hear from you. I too finished L3, but that was in 2008 and right now am totally blank. Also now that L3 is L4, the outcome of splitting L2 :-( . Am thinking I'll start preparing again for L3 and see how it goes.

Are you going for classes anywhere? I'd like to discuss different methods to study too.
    Right now I am learning native Japanese, like the kind that is taught in schools and not for proficiency exams. This feels quite different from the one you learn for JLPT.

Let me know if you are using any guidance book for the exam. I got by with 2 books:
    Understanding Basic Japanese Grammar and Kanzen Master Grammar Exercises.
    I studied grammar on my own and learned Kanji with help from classes. But that just seemed like mugging. I could not retain much after the exam. And I never learned the writing part much. Let me know if you learned writing and how you went about it.

Right now I am thinking, with Gaya3s too (if she is interested), we could start with 5 Kanji per day. Learn reading and writing. At that rate we should be able to cover at least the Level 4 Kanji in a month for sure.
    Along that I'd like to start with grammar.
    An hour or two maximum every day should be suffecient, assuming I study 5 days a week.

Let me know if have other ideas ladies.

2. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Nanda, I hope you too would join us. Let me know if you are still interested.

3. Sabitha

Sabitha Gold IL'ite

tanoshi-san,

I am not joining in any institute. I dont have time to go for institute, so I am planning to write JLPT N3 exam by self-study, I got vocab list (No.of pages around 200) from websites, I planned to study 2 to 3 pages a day. Your idea is good, 5 kanjis a day. Most critical part is kikitori. When we will start to study, r u at chennai or ?

I have studied JLPT3 at IJCCI (Indo Japan Chamber of Commerce, Chennai) in 2008.

thanks & regards

sabitha

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  4. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Tanoshiisan to Sabithasan,
    Konnichiwa, watashi wa Alpa des. Kenyajin desu. Nairobi de nihongo o benkyou****e imasu, kyonen JLPT4 no shiken o shimata.
    Watashi wa totemo ureshii desu, anatatachi wa nihongo o benkyou****e imasu. Watashi wa Nihongo o totemo suki desu. Hiragana, katakan to kanji o kakemasu.
    Kanji o totemo suki desu. Watashi no senseisan wa Nihonjin desu, onna na hito desu.
    Tanoshiisan watashi wa anata no kanji o suki desu.
    Henji o okute kudasai
    dewa mata ato de
    Alpa:cheers

5. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Hajimema****e Alpa san,

Wow..that was some commitment to studying the language. It never occurred to me to say anything here in Japanese. I hope by the end of the month I am able to give you a reply in the language. Right now, I just realised, I am at loss for words..lol Anyway hope to see you around and take on the next level too.
    Also let us know if you are following any books and if you were using a different pattern to study.

Sabita,
    I studies at the IJJC in 2006, was there for less than a month before we moved to Japan.
    And that is a good tip. I'll also start with the vocabulary list and will do maybe 10 words a day.

I am in UK right now. As for the kikitori, I try listening to loads of youtube short stories. only after leaving Japan did I realise how difficult it was to learn a language when you have no exposure to practising it.

So taking Alps as an example, we could write a sentence or two everyday here itself, be it greeting or anything, in Japanese. Hopefully that will help us get to know the language better.

So I'll be off now. Will go and find the vocabulary list and Kanji list for Level 4 and 3. Will start revising first and hopefully will be on full swing by the month end. Will report back tomorrow with what I have finished today. Would be a good idea to motivate each other.

Gambatte!!! Jaa mata a****a.

6. swaathiha

swaathiha Platinum IL'ite

hi friends.. even am interested in japanese... bt here in coimbatore ter is no classes for that... bt from indo japanese they teach through TV... every friday evening a half an hour class... ill see that n will copy in a note.... will try with my family.... bt u guys r great .... nice... keep going

1 person likes this.
  7. Sabitha

Sabitha Gold IL'ite

hai swaathiha,

you are really sincere and great, because you are learning this language from Tv. They are all our sensei (teacher). There is a option to learn japanese N5 through correspondence from IJCCI.

thanks & regards

sabitha

1 person likes this.
  8. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sabitha,
    Thanks for that info. I did not know IJCCI taught via correspondence too.

Swaathiha (lovely name BTW),
    You could try Kumon too. Its nice to know you are taking as much effort about this.

You could try this also ladies: Free Japanese Lessons – Learn the Japanese Language
    The website has loads of resources to learn the language.

9. gaya3s

gaya3s New IL'ite

Sandhya,
    I just mailed you.
    But looking at the discussion here, I think we can continue here.
    I'm planning to start from the scratch, as I dont remember any now :drowning
    Just suggest me the materials to start with!

Hi Sabitha,
    Even I did in IJCCI in 2003.
    I dont remember :bonkwhether I did N5 or L5, that was a 6 month course then.

Alpa,
    You are the inspiration for me now :thumbsup
    Initially when I replied to this thread, I thought of practising what I learnt, now feel like changing the gear :) lol !

Swaathiha,
    Cool...
    With the Japanese experts here, I'm at the beginner level.
    Probably we can put a chart and start learning together...
    We have our friends here to practice.

Cheers,
    Gaya3

1 person likes this.
  10. Sabitha

Sabitha Gold IL'ite

hai alpa san

Konnichiwa

Hajimema****e. O genki desuka? alpa-san no komento wa ii desu.:thankyou2:

Mata, watashi wa nihongo to Nihon no kuni ga dai suki desu.

ganbatte kudasai.

ittekimasu.:wave​