Anyone from London???

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by tanoshii, Jan 25, 2012.

1. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Hi ladies,

My husband and I have been married a long while and been trying a while.
    Its been a stressful journey, but this year I'm hoping I getting pregnant one way or another - borrow or steal too..lol :spin

I was wondering if any of you is from London. I'm currently in East London and would like to know/discuss the course of treatment you are going through. I am covered by the NHS.

Has anyone tried private treatment here? Its taken me more than 1.5 years to just get to follicular tracking and even that seems to be going on at a snail's pace with my delayed cycles, holidays in between when the hospital was closed and the doc not being available.

Any information will help. I'll post my current course of medication here.
    Thanks in advance.

2. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Here is my history/current treatment info.

Been TTC for about 4 years now. Diagnosed with PCOD and Hypothyrodism 4 years back and been on Thyronorm and Metformin (not so regular with the medication though for the past 2 months). I had a missed abortion 2 years back after ovulation induction.

I am on my third month of clomiphene citrate (Clomid for Ovulation) 50/100/100mg, and visited the doctor for the follicular tracking twice so far. This month would have been my third, but the doc isn't available for it.

I have a feeling the delay is caused by the medication. I did have delayed cycles earlier but its getting worse - once in 2 months only that too after I take medication for withdrawal bleeding. Also I noticed clots the first time and this time its even worse and very heavy. I also had spotting intermittently. Doctor was not very concerned about any of it.

I get follicular tracking only twice every cycle - 2 Wednesdays between the 9th and 18th day. Those are the only days he does it. And any more appointments apart from the usual ones take me months to get. I've been trying to get my husband to move back to India for a just a few months to get this all set right - but it hasn't happened for a whole bus load of reasons.

I just feel its going at a snail's pace. I am not getting any younger or fitter with the passing days. Delayed cycle is also causing me to gain more weight. I am trying to keep calm and do my part but the response from the Doctor and the details of the treatment isn't making me feel very confident about it all.

I am meeting him this month end to discuss what should be done next. Might be laparoscopy to check for blocks in the fallopian tube. But I am not sure where this would take me now. I've got so far by actually stressing for it and not willing to go on it again from the very beginning. And this has taken me all of 1.5 years.

Thanks a ton in advance. I'd appreciate any help.

3. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Woops...wrong post on wrong page.

4. sapna7

sapna7 New IL'ite

Hi Tanoshi,

I read your story and hope you will get success soon in getting pregnant.
    I live in Melbourne and doctors here are same like london. You won't be able to get
    appointment soon unless it is some emergency. I suggest you not to waste time and go get
    yourself checked in India as we have very good doctors. You can visit doctor any time of day.

5. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Hi Tanoshii,

I replied to your other thread, and now I realise you are going to the hospital. I live in West London, and the approach my consultant takes is slightly different. I have severe PCOS (which, by the way was diagnosed in India). I got my tests and scans done in Chennai, got the results and went to my GP. She made me repeat all the blood work and get a smear test done. Followed by appointments with the sub-fertility clinic at our hospital. The consultant there asked me to reduce weight, and sadly ever since it seems to have increased. I had an appointment yesterday and because I am not ovulating, she has recommended that we go with the fertility drugs from april. She wants me to reduce more weight before that.. and then go for the HSG test (I think before seeing her in April). Maybe you can ask for that... she said we can discuss IUI in the next appointment.. I have also been a huge legal pack to read through !

Good luck..

As for trying in India, is your husband willing to stay with you for as long as it takes?? Personally I feel it is better off here, as we can avoid nasty questions from others about all this!

Mythili

6. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for your wishes Sapna7. That was very sweet of you to say. And yeah, I heard from my bro that its like that in Melbourne.

And Mythili,
    Am so glad to know another person going through with the treatment here. Thanks for the reply and the information. Husband staying in India for that long isn't possible, hence the struggle here. Why, me staying there for that long will drive me crazy..lol

Anyway, good to know the doc is willing to discuss IUI. We too thought about the same, but my friend was told they'll have to go directly jump to IVF. That scared her off all the way to India now.

Yes, weight is an issue. You said it right...it seems to be increasing by the minute ever since I heard it from the doc. So apart from that looks like its no different for you either.

We have an appointment next week and it is to discuss the next course of action. I'll talk to the doc about what you've suggested. HSG was on the agenda, but this time I guess I'll just have to stress on it. Its just that I want to move ahead with this treatment...It feels like we are just stewing in the same old filth over and over again..

Thanks again :).

7. ttc123

ttc123 Senior IL'ite

Hi tanoshi,

Even I was facing similar delays in NHS. We didnt have any fertility issues, it was just unexplained infertility. I found out a clinic in west sussex and the doctor there was very kind enough to accept me as a private patient. I was given letrozole + Gonal F and tried IUI in that cycle. The first cycle itself clicked and now I have 4 month old twin girl & boy.

8. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations TTC123. That is really good to hear. I'll keep that in mind too and will ask the doc this time.
    Thanks for your reply.

9. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Hi Tanoshii,

IVF was not even discussed by my consultant. They discussed Ovulation Induction, but now thanks to real low Progesterone values on Day 18/21, and poor sperm count for my husband, they have suggested we speed up the process.. My parents advise that we come to India for the whole thing, but with both our schedules we cant take time off for so long... and my OB-GYN in India is dead against me coming there just on my own for any treatment!!!

PS: It is really good to see someone from London here :)

TTC123,

I am not sure if we are allowed to give out details on the forum, but is it possible for you to give the details of the private clinic here? And an indication of the costs involved...??

Mythili

10. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Totally agree Mythili. Going to India by yourself might not help at all.

Its good to know your doc is willing to speed things up a little. I heard from another friend too that the process here is dead slow, but in the long run, its very effective. Am off to the doc tomorrow and hoping he'd say something positive. Will know what we are to do next. I've got about 3 months before my next trip to home and I am hoping I'll get somewhere with this treatment here by then.

And yes, Ttc123, if is not too much information, I'd also like to know about the cost if we were to seek private help here in UK. I did try and find out about IVF here and when done privately, it comes to about the same cost as in India including all the tests and consultations that go with it. That would be about £4500.