Anybody has grown aloe vera plant in your home?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by baby1, Jan 11, 2013.

1. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

i wanted to grow aloe vera plant inside or outside of my house. we are staying in a villa in mohd bin zayed city. i wanted to take some tips as to how to grow the plant. i have grown it earlier in my garden but failed to maintain it properly and it dried. so i would like to take some tips as to how to grow it in a proper way to see it in a healthy state. also i would like to personally go and see it if somebody staying nearby here are actually growing this plant. pls reply if you are growing this plant in your balcony. thanks in advance.

2. angelvoice

angelvoice Gold IL'ite

yes i have at home... i planted it from a leaf.... u basically need a big pot with soil and sand plus some nutrients..

if any of your friends have aloe vera plant... if you look at the base you can see clusters of small "baby aloe" around it... you can separate these baby plants and put them in your pot... put them in shade for few days first. preferably do not water or sprinkle water.. after few days it will take root and you can transfer to a sunnier place...it does not need direct sun strictly. do not over water.. it will rot off...its a very sturdy plant...
    and you can make amazing home made aloe gel...

3. essa

essa Junior IL'ite

hi angelvoice,

I too have a lovely aloe plant..how do i make the aloe gel and what to use it for??? some beauty tips or healing purpose...mine is healthy and would love to use it to the max...thanks

4. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear angelvoice,
    thank you for the tips on growing the plant.
    i had grown the plant the similar way in my garden outside my house. i live in a villa in abu dhabi. and there was too much sunshine which was making the plant dryout i guess. otherwise i did not over watered it. it did not die but was not at all in a healtheir state. it was in a weaker state...not green in colour...but it was yellowish in colour...having very thin leaves.
    so i am desperate to see it in a healthy state as it is seen in any nursery...full of aloe gel. when i pluck my leaf and take out the gel, it was having very less quantity gel which is an indication of its weakness.
    so i would like to know more on it...like can i put the pot of aloe vera inside my house. but there is no balcony in my house. is it possible to grow the plant keeping at home?
    dear essa, i would like to see your plant...where do you live in abu dhabi. can we meetup some day? i live in mohd bin zayed city.