1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SGBV, Mar 2, 2018.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Starting a new thread as a follow up to my old thread on the same matter Need Your Guidance To Make This Final Decision

The ones who follow my threads here on this issue know what I am upto. Others may visit my older threads before responding to ensure the continuity.

Here we go.
    I've opted option #1, wholeheartedly for the flexibility and convenience this job offered compared to option #2. Even though the latter was an international offer with loads of other facilities, but the former sounded more feasible and content as of now.
    So, I work from home for 2 days, and enjoy the complete break during weekends.
    The remaining 3 days, I will have to be in the duty station, which is 4hrs drive from home one way.
    As for convenience, I stay in a PG accommodation, and travel back and forth to my home and duty station once in every 3-4 days.
    My mom takes complete responsibility at home front on my absence, since she lives with us.
    There is a maid, and a dependable driver who support mom.
    My H stay with the family too, but he is not dependable primarily with his work, and his irresponsibility. But that isn't an issue for now. Because he is otherwise a dotting dad.

As agreed in my previous thread, I've put my foot down to explain my H the importance of having a well paying job as and when he has the ability to work.
    Because we had to start everything from the scratch, and it is important that we save something for our future/retirement, as well for the kids - for their higher studies.
    With his agreement, I've helped him to apply for some good jobs, but nothing came up as of now.

Besides, I've decided to save a major portion of my salary as savings, because that was my motto when I chose this option.
    I would have stayed at home or opted for some normal jobs in my hometown had we settled with a sound savings.
    Most of my hard earned money disappeared when we invested on our home, car and other settlements so far.
    Because of that, I had to depend on my mom and siblings when I had no salary for a couple of months recently.
    My H had some debts only, and he was/is not approachable with regards to money matters.
    So, the entire responsibility when it comes to our family comes on my shoulder, and that's why I opted this 'slightly inconvenient, and brave" job despite of being a mommy already.
    This was clearly communicated with my H and he had accepted the same already.

But now, he comes to me with so many requests. I know they are my FIL's master plans.
    Sadly my H has no brain of his own, and so anyone could influence him if they plan calculatively.

One day he says that one of his credit card is cancelled, and he is forced to pay the debt within a month.
    He suggests me that I pay it back for that he gets relieved.
    The debt was taken for something mysterious, and not for our family. I know, and can confirm that he has helped his parents to shop with his cards almost all the time.
    And he has been paying the min credit limit for all his 3 credit cards since the time we've got married from his salary. Which eats up almost 30% of what he earns.
    I've rejected the idea and asked him to find alternate ways.
    I've hinted about getting some loans from his parents, sibling (from UK), as both have a sound saving/FDs compared to me.
    Beside, he has spent on both of them using his money and never once shared his finances with me, or for the family in the past. Its me who's the primary bread winner, and the one who does everything from the scratch till settlement (with everything needed for life).
    So, I don't feel obliged to help him this time like I did so many times in the past.

Secondly he suggests that I take up his car loan, as it is a burden on him.
    Of course he pays 50% of his salary for the car. It was actually my plan, as I felt he is wasting his salary on something/someone carelessly all the time.
    After almost 7-8 years of marriage with him, and getting none from his as a contribution to the family we created, I felt I should trap him somehow to make him contribute for the family.
    Nothing worked, except this car idea as he liked to have a good car for himself - which I felt OK, coz the car could be ultimately a family asset.
    We only had one car, and it was mine. But he used that up mostly- making me to depend on public transport most of the times.
    So, I've suggested him to opt for his car, and enjoy. This way, I accounted at least 50% of his earnings monthly.
    Now that he threatens that he would sell the car or let the company take it away by not paying the EMI.
    He expected me to get shocked and immediately commit to take up the loan under my shoulder.
    But I rejected it, and asked him to chose what best for him.

Finally, I told him clearly that I had taken up this job to fullfill our family's savings need, which is suppose to be both of our responsibility. Since he doesn't contribute to it at all, I've decided to handle it singlehandedly now.
    If he pressurizes me like this with monitory demands every time I chose to earn big money, then I will chose to either stay at home or work locally with a basic salary (enough for myself).
    Either way, he will have to bear the entire responsibility with or without the car - the choice is his.
    But he can't expect me to compromise my life style and comfort to help his personal financial matters anymore.

I know his dad would have overheard our conversation (he is our neighbor) or heard through my H anyway.
    I know that he would plan something else serious this time to corner me.
    And I know my H would blindly follow his dad, until I catch him red-handed and bring him back to realization. The cycle will repeat as long as we live in this earth.

The thing is, they can't tolerate the fact that I earn and save.
    The moment our family gets an additional income, FIL will comes with a demand, and make my H contribute towards it.
    They say "Look, she is earning and your family has enough to live now - you don't have to share your earning to your family anymore. Give it to us, and we will take care of it - If not, your wife will give her earning to her parents/siblings, and make you bear everything"
    And sadly my H listens and believes his parents, as he thinks they know everything.
    Any suggestions?????

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    VinuthaS likes this.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

@SGBV .. First of all I would like to really appreciate your ..
    - mental clarity in regards to the financial decisions considering all the challenges that are being thrown at you continuously.
    - justifying each actions with it's linked past.
    - strength to understand n stop your dh's n Fil's master plans on an ongoing basis.
    Can imagine all the 'additional' stress n the relationship strain due to this.

The way you dealt about the card, car loan issues n the point you have put across about stopping to work if he adds on more issues for you - are good ones. You have put your point across clearly. Stick to this clarity.

It's good that you want to take proper precautions. It will always put you one step ahead to be prepared.

The point of getting a loan from your pil or bil from Uk is a great option, stick to it.

Considering this,

Is it possible to lie or cover up about the real amount of money you make ? That may stop your fil from building an exaggerated amount in his mind.

Fake complain about money issues ?

It's just the reverse psychology game thats normally played. You complain before they complain kinda thing, not ideal, but it's kind of a defence mechanism.

You had mentioned that your brother n mom had helped you financially n also they are your support system to take care of your family as well, does your in laws do that too ? Is it possible to show your dh about the contribution from your family ? In a healthy manner rather than an argumentative mode to give clarity to show they are not your enemies.

Most importantly keep pressing on the point about his contribution both financially, and at home end, on top of this pushing him in the right direction, it may also stop him or atleast minimise him from coming to you with his dads master plan.

Continue his job hunt through any means necessary.

Stay strong !! You are doing great !!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    sindmani and SGBV like this.
  3. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

After 8 years of marriage, your H behaves likes this and over that your FIL encourages that behavior. I am so sorry for your condition. My H hates such behavior, he get very mad when men act like this.

you sound mature enough. All i can say, keep your finances only under your name. Your H took loan, he is an adult, he should be able to deal with it. I am quite shocked. Even though i do not contribute to house finances, my H is very strict about the luxury expenses i need for and for kids. he keeps a budget of $600 for 6 months for each. Initially i used to feel bad, but after accumulation of wealth i see his views.

remember CAR is not an asset. It is just a tool that will become weaker every day. GOLD is asset. land is.

money is power , it can be abused or used well. You sound like a very smart and mature woman who care for her family. your H is adult, he should own for his mistakes, your vehicle you need for your work. you are not hanuman to fly.

be strong about any comments or remarks. when people feel weak or powerless they insult others .

SGBV likes this.
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Talk to FIL directly and ask him to back off.

SGBV and yesican like this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

@SGBV
    You have analysed the situation very well. Why dont you tell your dh (or even FIL) that you dont have any problem if he helps FIL, but he has to find money for it. He dont have to hide it and create debt. He should be a responsible father and husband. I guess you have already told him.

"The moment our family gets an additional income, FIL will comes with a demand, and make my H contribute towards it
    ."

All these demands from your dh and FIL arise when they came to know that you have additional benefits and increased income. How did they come to know? Is it possible for you to hide it or not mention about your savings or income. Just create an impression that you are getting only enough just to maintain your life style and you are barely saving any money and you need more. If your husband has the habit of sharing all info with FIL then you should be careful on what you share with dh.
    Be positive and strong.

SGBV, sindmani, NeetaR and 1 other person like this.
  6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

i would disagree a bit. while this suggestion is totally correct , but i feel arguing with a immature or selfish person will backfire
    but why does she has to hide. how much stress or lie . Can't it be just a NO and BIG NO. as that money is only for kids. because some times people need reality in their face LIKE FIL and H.

7. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Stand firm, not sharing his financial burdens - ie actually his dad's in disguise.
    Always save on kids or your name. Start joint account on husband's name save a min amount. To show you have for him too. He should take up min things like petrol, groceries , vegetables fruits expense.
    This FIL thing, I'm tired... It happens in most of the household SIL, MIL greedy expectations, gold, land...
    If they tell , you are earning better, tell them "I have to because your dear don doesn't contribute much.So I have to save for my kids education and future since we have Pvt jobs." Other than that
    don't discuss finance with in laws. They always want to know how much we make, what we do. What they can extract.
    Be firm like you have decided and ask husband to do as he wishes.

sindmani, SGBV and shravs3 like this.
  8. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

YES. TRUE. WILL CAUSE MORE DRAMAS from them

SGBV likes this.
  9. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

If your in laws are having good pension or any other source of income let your dh borrow from them.

Since you created a burden on him by purchasing an additional car, if you wish you may help with it's part repayment. If the company takes away the car, will your husband have more funds at his disposal. How is he going to travel after that. If the public transportation expense for him is comparatively very less than the car installment amount let him dispose it off.

As your husband has always been financially non contributing towards your family expense or assets, there is absolutely no need for you to help him with his debts. If it was otherwise then a better salaried spouse can clear off the family debts even if taken for in laws.

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@lavani - I too hate such irresponsible men, what to do? I happened to marry someone like this; and I am forced to sort out this matter with him for life. Hence I am here looking for helps.
    I know, a car is not an asset. But what I meant by asset here is, the comfort we- as family enjoy with this second car.
    I've tried to make him invest on gold, land, property or at least some savings in our children or his name to ensure his salary is not wasted. But nothing worked. Each time he had a reason to escape after agreeing with me.
    I know his father is too cleaver to not to get trapped like this. So, he will guide his son/my H the escape route.
    So, I made this alternate plan.
    Car was his passion, and at the same time it was our need.
    Since his office and the kid's school are on the same direction, he used our family's car (in fact, that was mine) all the time.
    This made me, and the rest of the family members suffer with our own transportation needs. But grabbing the car from him by force wasn't a great option back then, as I considered about his comforts as well his supports with the kids(School pick up & drop off).
    Now that, the second car came as a blessing for all. Since he liked it, it was relatively easy for me to get him pay for it.
    At least by this way, I ensured some of his money is spent for the family's need.
    Of course his dad created a huge drama back then against this car, and somewhat I trapped my H by convincing him against all these odds.
    It feels crazy to write "trapping husband" but that's exactly what I did back then. Because my H was not just my H, but an instrument my FIL used to control our family. So, I had no other options. If I don't trap, his parents will trap him and use him forever.

blissofmylife and Sunshine04 like this.