1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any Primary Breadwinners?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anayasree, Apr 18, 2018.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

It indeed will and in time corrode ur marriage. Reminded me of what my grandmother would say "athu manusha kitta rombha paal kanakku thair kannakku parkkadai" translates to "with people close to u do not track petty things like cost of milk/curd" . It took me many years to understand the wisdom of that saying. Life and marriage both are very long and no matter how meticulously we plan there will always be surprises and not necessarily to our liking or comfort. Ur spouse is going to be ur biggest source of support during those times . Why grudge someone that imp in ur life a couple of years of leisure?
    Remember things always even out in the end...and when we are in a position to give its best to give generously.
    Having grandparents around is one of the blessings that is fast disappearing in todays world. I do not know how old ur kids are ..but I am assuming they are fairly young if grandparents are able to take complete care. This wont last too long. Soon they will go to school ,will have tons of after school activities plenty of homework/tests ..ur spouse will have his hands ,legs pretty much everything full. Encourage him to explore other areas ..spend time together as a family and indulge them. Best wishes!

Sunburst, Amica, anayasree and 5 others like this.
  2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

From your replies it seems like being a SAHD does not seem to be working well for your husband inspite of what was decided. No wonder he has completely hung his boots the moment MIL showed up and took over.
    I don’t see why he cannot get back to the getting a job. Women have done it by choice or because of circumstances.
    You need to have a talk with him if this arrangement is indeed working well as you thought it was.

Amica likes this.
  3. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

I think you need to discuss with your husband as to how to productively contribute to your house, how to use his time more productively, pursue some passion etc now that someone else is there to support in household stuff. It is not just the question of who is doing what. We only have one life. He should not look back and regret.

Amica likes this.
  4. anayasree

anayasree Silver IL'ite

Thank you ashneys and rihana for your suggestions. Even I dont want to bring this up in front of MIL. Too much drama. H and I have a very good understanding. Even I thought talking about this outside just the 2 of us will help. I also feel H will agree with my concerns, we have had very good understanding before in-laws moved in with us. We still do, he just doesnt realize the resentmemt I have inside me. He knows I am very angry these days, but he thinks it is because of his mom taking over.

Well, its like I prepare light dinner and he takes care of cleaning, or he prepares elaborate dinner and I do the cleaning. See, this is what I like, we both discussed what to prepare for dinner, I like to finish off dinner by 7.30 pm, so H does it and no need to remind him. Even if he forgets, I dont mind reminding him everyday. This is what I meant when I say H and I had our own rhythm of doing stuff around the house. Now, I dont cook dinner, but I need to remind my MIL every day to start preparing dinner early. I did that for may be a week and then left it cos it was too bossy. It felt it was like micromanaging my MIL. I am super organized in my kitchen and a lil obsessed over it. H understands my quirks and lets me indulge in it. MIL keeps rearranging my stuff and I cant blame her. I still do the cleaning part post dinner, that is something my MIL will do happily if I let her, but I want to do it.

This! I hate going home to this.

Interesting perspective! I agree my H has to take over at some point of time and I know he will. He was the best SAHD when he was managing everything. He did an excellent job.

I agree it is good to think like this. Not grudge, I dont know how to put it exactly. Rihana said it better above. It is annoying, especially seeing MIL pampering H after a long day at work.

So I keep coming back to the same question in my mind. What is H's contribution in this marriage? Only intimacy?

If I had a choice, I'd actually prefer my mom taking care of everything and H taking a break for sometime. At least I would still be running the house thru my mom. See how I relate the 2 issues? Most of the days I am fine. But some days when MIL explicitly behaves like it is she running the house, I get irritated cos if it was my H managing the house I wont be in this situation. I guess I keep going in a circle. It is good I shared here, I can read multiple perspectives.

5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

You shouldn't have to justify why you feel the way you do. Everyone is entitled to their feelings.

You are in a household with 4 adults — 1 adult (you) is financially supporting the entire family, 1 adult (your MIL) is doing all the housework and childcare, 2 adults (DH and FIL) contribute nothing. This is not what you signed on for.

Additionally, seeing your DH regressing to an irresponsible adolescent can be disturbing. I would also worry that he might develop feelings of worthlessness and depression.

SAHMs typically don't sit on their hands 24/7 in this day and age. Women who are unable to work due to lack of education or visa restrictions don't watch TV all day. They seek education, volunteer work, hobbies, something constructive to occupy their time. An adult who is content to watch TV all day is unusual.

Your instincts are right, IMO, and you do need something to change.

Have a chat with your DH about his activities. Be calm, non-accusative, say "we" often. Express positive feelings about his parents living with you. Find out how he feels about his present lifestyle. Suggest he use this opportunity to get a job or to further his education so he can find employment in the future.

Personally, I'm all for role-reversal. However, the worrisome aspect of your situation is a young healthy adult male with no purpose in life, no reason to get out of bed in the mornings, no achievements to look back on. This can be damaging if it stretches into several years.

Above all, trust your gut. If you feel this needs to change, work on changing it.

Good luck, @anayasree!

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

U are attempting to play ur official role at home.
    managing ur spouse and his time. U have a range of suggestions to choose from and I am sure u will choose well. Good luck!

7. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

@anayasree - This issue is building resentment in you.You need to convey this to your H at the earliest ,possibly over a dinner outside.You can cite the same egs which you have done here . Or ask him to wear your shoes and analyse the whole situation.You can ask him whether he misses his career that he has stopped pitching in the housework.
    Do tell him this.It will boost his morale. Also tell him that you miss the rhythm or synchrony you both had. Or you can say - I miss your cooking so much. Positively nudge him to open up .
    I don't think even when our moms come to help us with a newborn or later ,women relax while moms work.We are no longer kids.When I visited my parents house with my newborn,if my mom cooked,I washed the dishes or swept /mopped.It would otherwise make one feel too guilty to do nothing being a grown up.And I have also seen that if wife's mother stays over for too long doing every little thing when wife is a SAHM ,some husbands also have problems . So ,its not that you are trying to control everything around you ,your feelings are totally normal.
    Talk to him,don't let it build up inside you.He seems like a sensitive guy,he will definitely understand.

Amica and anayasree like this.
  8. anayasree

anayasree Silver IL'ite

Well, I put a lot of thought and I have finally decided to bring this up with H, not in a accusative tone, but to let him know in a matter of fact way what is bothering me. I am not going to expect him to change the setup immediately, but I at least want him to know how I feel. One important thing that this thread made me realize is I was thinking and giving too much importance to equal partnership, I was almost thinking of it like a business relationship. There have been times when I needed his emotional support and he was my pillar of strength. We are having something big going on personally and I want to enjoy every moment of it together. No rocking the boat or trying to fix something that does not need a fix. Thanks everyone again for the different perspective. :)

Deborah and Sandycandy like this.