1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Any non-cooker less time consuming method for cooking pulses ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Aug 24, 2010.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

I am using cooker to boil lentils for sambhar and kootu. Is there any other way to do this fast on an electric stove ?

2. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Lentils are dense high protein material. Do require either pressure cooking or long duration boiling.
    There is a Tamil saying: அந்த பருப்பு இங்கே வேகாது. That lentil wont cook here.

One option is to soak lentils overnight preferably in warm water. This should cook in normal boiling on a stove.

Arunadhri

3. sailvizag

sailvizag New IL'ite

Nowadays I'm grinding lentils while raw and store them to use in sambar. That way I would just need to add some lentil powder to veggies etc and cook.(ours is electric stove) You can also add lentils to sambar powder if u r making it at home instead of buying.

4. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

I don't think there is a faster way to cook lentil than using a pressure cooker. You can cook it even faster if you soak the lentils in warm water for atleast 2 hours and then pressure cook it. Hope that helps reduce your cooking time..

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Instead of cooking faster, why don't you use a slow cooker? Throw together the dal and water in the morning and it will be ready and waiting for the seasoning when you get home.