Any idea about Amniocentesis test ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by indumathy_77, May 21, 2008.

1. Prettywoman2010

Prettywoman2010 New IL'ite

Re: Questions about Down's syndrom test and Insurance info

Hi,

Just for your information the Down Sydrome blood test gives a high false positive report. My blood tests came positive and even though the ultrasound was normal, i was advised to go for the invasive procedure called amniocentesis in which they insert a needle in the uterus and test the amniotic fluid, finally the results were all normal and the test was not too bad, however went through a lot of anxiety. Wish you luck.

2. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Prettywoman
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I also heard of the high rate of false positives and actually now I am wondering whether to go for the screening. Because if it comes positive then I will definitely want to go for the amniocentesis or I will be worrying about it always.Sometimes I feel it is better not to go for it. During my first pregnancy I was not offered the screening or diagnosis and everything went well..so maybe this time also I should skip..Not sure what to do :confused2:

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The NT Screen only gives a ratio as to the presence of a genetic defect. You will get a ratio (1/200 or 1/3000 for T21 or T17/T18 etc). It never gives a positive/negative result for any defect. If your odds are high(maybe 1 in 2 chance of a defect) then an Amnio/CVS will be recommended by the doctors. Amnio/CVS are more accurate although both are more invasive.

I would do the NT Ultrasound alone if I were you(if insurance covers it). If the NT neck measure is high or the nasal bone is absent or they find other markers for T21 or T17/18 then you can think of the NT blood work. The NT Scan needs to be done at 11-13 weeks to be accurate and that gives you an opportunity to take a peek at your LO.

Just my two cents.

Laks

4. sanjyo

sanjyo New IL'ite

PinksandBLues
    Even i was in the same situation .My blood report came back giving 1/30 chance of down syndrome, after which i had amnio done. The other day i had leak for 3 times and had to stay in hospital for 3 days and bed rest after that for a month .The situation got under control . Now i am 31 week pregnant and things are fine with my aminiotic fluid level.
    Jyoti

5. PinksAndBlues

Hi laks and sanjyo , thanks for answering our questions.
    Laks my last scan was in the 11th week but I'm not sure if they checked for NT . If they do it as a routine then I guess my doctor must be having all the reports surely. Last time I saw the doc at 15 weeks he only told me that next time we will talk about the "triple marker test" . Is it the same as Down syndrome test ? Also if the NT scan reports are normal, do the doctors still ask for blood test ? I am getting a bit worried why the doc told me about the triple marker test.

Sanjyo what was the result of your amnio ? Was the screening a false positive in your case also? If yes you had to go through all that pain and trouble for nothing :( I hope you are feeling better now . Wish you a healthy and happy pregnancy .

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Pinks and Blues,
    The triple marker test is a second trimester blood test done for checking genetic anomalies. It is not the same as the NT Blood work(where blood has to be drawn before 13 weeks). The triple screen checks for Spina Bifida, Trisomy 21(Down's), T18 and T17. Even the triple marker test is not conclusive. It just says that the baby has a chance of having one of the above anomalies and is usually followed by an amnio if required. These days the Triple marker tests results are combined with first trimester blood test result to give an integrated result. Maybe that's what your doctor is doing, do call your nurse and check.

Actually the NT Screens are new. When I had my DD 8.5yrs ago NT Screens were not done in the US and I had the triple marker test. I've heard of it flagging a high risk even for babies without any issues but I was sure I would follow it up with a high tech anomalies ultrasound if anything came up. Mine came up as 1/2500 or something at the time and anyway even if it came back bad I was never doing the amnio only the ultrasound which poses no miscarriage risk.

Hope this helps,
    Laks

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  7. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

P&B,

I was given 2 options . 1 to inform whether i need to take the Down's syndrome test
    2 was the test to check Genetic diseases (similar to what Laks has mentioned).

considering all the suggestions from you all, am going to skip both. am saying no i dont want those.

Thanks Laks09 for the detailed info. Helps a lot ! :thankyou2:

8. PinksAndBlues

Oh god all this is so confusing :spin Thanks laks for clarifying. Your post helped a lot . My next appointment is in 2 weeks . Will talk to the doc and then decide.
    Ranchu good that you made your decision already. How many weeks are you now ? Most probably I will also skip all these tests :bowdown

9. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

P&B ,
    Am about 6weeks now. yet to do U/S and even before that they gave me all these booklets :)

10. sanjyo

sanjyo New IL'ite

Yes the amnio report came back as normal but my pregnancy got classified into high risk pregnancy
    Jyoti