Any diffrence in taking NT scan and blood test (PAPP-P,free Beta HCG) during 11th and

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by harun, Apr 9, 2015.

1. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

Would like to know is there any diffrence in taking NT SCAN AND BLOOD tests(PAPP-P ,free Beta HCG )DURING 11th and 13th week in terms of test result.For eg if any person received risk during 11th week ,if the same test taken after 2 weeks ie 13th week would bring down risk factor.
    Also taking tests taken form 2 diffrent labs between 11th and 13th week wolud there be any diffrence in the result.
    As per my understanding its a screening test for Downs syndrome,Trisomy 13 and 18.

Thanks in advance

2. divyamsriram

divyamsriram Bronze IL'ite

Re: Any diffrence in taking NT scan and blood test (PAPP-P,free Beta HCG) during 11th

Hi,

The tests only provides a probability ratio of risk and it is a computerised result, meaning once you key in the data of your crown rump length, the NT thickness value and the blood results data, the programming assesses the probability. Obviously, between 11 and 13 weeks, CRL will be different, the NT will be different and so will your hormone values. But the risk value is all calculated based on your gestational age, risk will not be drastically different.

3. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

Re: Any diffrence in taking NT scan and blood test (PAPP-P,free Beta HCG) during 11th

I read in one of the website that the final risk value is calculated on MoM ,so mean value ,i mean compared with which values.

4. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

The reason why i quoted this question is.
    My cousin took this test during 11th week from a lab,whrein she got the result saying high risk.While she took the same test during 13th week from another lab she got result saying everything normal.
    The result is keeping all of us in a dilemma as both are very reputed labs.

5. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

Any clue on this matter ..........

6. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

so many views no reply ,looks like my question is very unique

7. divyamsriram

divyamsriram Bronze IL'ite

i hope this link gives you some input -> First Trimester Maternal Serum Screening Using Biochemical Markers PAPP-A and Free

As far as I know, MoM which is multiples of median converts your value from scan and blood results into a median value. The more it is away or less than 1 is how the risk is finally calculated.

Your cousin's doctor should be the best person to assess the risk/ difference between 2 reports. If the first trimester screening isnt giving you an evident answer, there is the triple and quadruple marker test as well as a part of second trimester that can give you some idea.