1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any alternative for gold in mangalsutra?

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by YesBee, Feb 2, 2012.

1. YesBee

YesBee Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Nowadays chain snatching is being the talk of the town. Everywhere we hear news about men coming in bike and snactching the chain from ladies in lonely/dark areas. So was wondering if there is any other alternative for the gold chain mangalsutra to safe guard us from the snatchers. I am not intrested in plain black beads as it would look very very simple and not used much in our place. Is there any other alternative for gold ?

Any thoughts ladies ?

2. Tweety

Tweety Bronze IL'ite

Hi yesbee:hiya,
    As in the films, yellow thread and and turmeric is the only option. Just kidding. In certain group/caste of people they dont really need to wear mangalsutra daily. They put in occasions. Some groups have Simple mangalsutra for day to day life and Grand mangalsutra for special Occasions such as wedding or other family functions. When i came across those practices was really could not take it:bonk. Practices are always the thing that passes on from generation to generation and it differs region to region/caste to caste. isnt it?
    :my2cents

3. YesBee

YesBee Bronze IL'ite

Hi Tweety,

Yes you are true. If the current trend of chain snatching goes on, guess everyone will have to follow the yellow thread by default:bonk and forget all traditions. Life and safety take importance than traditions what say :rant

Hope some one comes with a different idea which will look good and save from snatchers too:)

4. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Go for platinum.. these chain snatchers will think it is just silver and wont give a second glance :)

If chain snatching is your main concern: in lonely or much crowded places drape your dupatta in a way that the snatchers cannot easily get a grip. Avoid going to dark and lonely places at night.

5. YesBee

YesBee Bronze IL'ite

:-D sounds like a good idea to me, but my DH might not be ready to accept it:-(

Yes the main concern is the chain snatching. I return home late by two-wheeler after 9 pm and the area is bit dark and lonely.

6. rosy786

rosy786 IL Hall of Fame

Better Wear Burka as No chain snatching problem..Or u can drape the chains Properly s i cover neck properly

1 person likes this.
  7. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

If you are coming through dark and lonely place at night, also carry pepper spray with you. Comes handy in tough situations :)

8. YesBee

YesBee Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Rosy and Orion. I do wear a sweater nowadays to server the purpose of covering the neck and to withstand the cold breeze. But I am thinking what to do during the coming summer days:confused2:.

Pepper spray is also a good idea that I need to think of implementing.

9. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

dhupatta around the neck.. when on jeans.. scarf will do...

rather leaving the hair free and little in front is also better when you have no other option... this distracts others view.

10. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

It is very scary these days on the roads but then, there are times when we feel so clinged to this sacred thread. I guess since nothing can replace a mangalsutra, it would be better to just buy the 1gm gold mangalsutras and wear them. The original mangalsutra can be kept aside for special occasions as that may be heavier in weight also and many a times, has been fixed on to a good gold chain.

Also. as suggested by our other friends, it is advisable to avoid fancy and heavy jewellery after late evenings and whenever on travel.

God forbid, but if ever a situation would come that someone tries to snatch my chain or ornament on the road, we can just raise our voice and call for help to attract a crowd. Chnaces are the crowd may chase the theif or the theif might just drop what he has snatched and run away in fright!!!