1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Another Mom Called Me Naive!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by momsky, May 26, 2017.

1. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Just want to vent out some frustrations here :mad:

I regularly talk to this school mom and yesterday she called me naive and that I don't know how to filter other people's personality, etc etc. I didn't react, I don't know now if I should have because it is bothering me.

This lady has a loud personality, acts like she knows everything, criticizes almost everyone, including children, and talks too much. I, on the other hand, is pole opposite of hers. She also sings praises of her child too much, while I don't because I believe my children's physical attributes, academic and sports popularity already speaks for itself. She looks down on other parents for their race and parenting style but goes in rage when others look down on her (she mentioned how another parent thought she's poor and low class). Her child is nice and sweet but does not really do well academically, my daughter always tutor the child but this mom thinks my daughter and her child are of the same level. This mom helped her child with many projects but my daughter said her child never presented those but presented a version that was made in the classroom. I never told her though because I don't want her child to get in trouble.

I really don't know how she came up with her conclusion that I'm naive. I saw her this morning again but we only said hi to each other. I'm curious what can I reply to her without insulting back or showing off to prove I'm not naive. She sees I drive a luxury vehicle but she doesn't know about my divorce, my business, etc.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Umanga likes this.

2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Can't you ignore her? Just pretend she doesn't exist.

There is nothing that empty gasbags hate more than being deprived of the attention that they need like oxygen. Deprive them of that oxygen and they shall wilt.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

WEll.you have survived ur divorce.taking care of a kid.
    ur not naive.ignore her

4. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I'll try this afternoon but I find it hard to ignore someone who says hi to m first.

5. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Yes, I agree. I also find it hard to do that. But, I had to do it when I came to India. Here, people will eat you if you are too friendly. But, you are in the States where it is a different matter. Still, it is easier to ignore people in the West than it is here. She will get the hint eventually. Don't give in. She is not some family member or close friend of yours.

6. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the kind words @Sunshine04

7. WorriesTooMuch

WorriesTooMuch Silver IL'ite

I agree with @Umanga. She says hi, you smile and nod and walk off. Keep doing this till she gets the message. The smiling might help you feel better about being rude, but think this way - isn't she being rude too? Why does she get to insult you left right centre and still get politeness back?

8. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Indeed. People are horrible. We have to be very careful in dealing with them. I have stopped smiling after coming back to India. You should see my expression now, stony-faced and unforgiving, ready to pounce at the slightest insult.

sindmani likes this.
  9. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I have dealt n still deal with a few similar school moms like these in my kid's school (There are all kinds everywhere right). Annoys me to the core, am also a softie so won't say anything. All well of to do, international school, luxury cars, big houses, high class society - so no less there with anyone, but most of these annoying ones are insecured n miserable in their personal life n not respected at their homes so they come out and try to get that importance and respect from others by doing all kinda dramas. (I did research :thumbup:)They are loud, compare kids and says theirs is the best - even they themself self claim to be the smartest. They say one thing - it's the absolute truth, we say the exact same thing - we are wrong :BangHead: there is no end to themselves.

I used to get so worked up and it used to take so much of my mind space. With experience I have realized it's like talking to a wall, makes no difference to them n only we get worked up. N it's a super duper waste of our time.

Though I see them at school, I have a hi- bye relationship now. I can't do arguments, face showing or anything like that. But One wave, one smile, as I keep walking, no stopping even for a second. It really works. If I feel they are approaching, I try to spot a mom am friendly with n start a conversation. Even when they do come up to my face saying "how r u? U seemed to be running all the time." I will be like "yea, very busy. Goto go. Bye." If u have the patience, say some story. Or these things still works. Be consistent.

this experience taught me about how to deal with people like these, so one more life lesson :p. N By ignoring these negative characters, I have actually made some wonderful mom friends at school.

sindmani and momsky like this.
  10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

If I were in your place, I would have asked within seconds "why does she think so " . It is my natural response style. It varies from one person to another.
    It is better not to encourage any talks with these kind of people. Just smile it off. Hi , how are you, doing good, see you and bye can be the best combinations to use while interacting. "Empty vessels make most noise", it is true. So don't give any importance to it. You don't have to prove her anything

sindmani, KashmirFlower and momsky like this.